Shipping trophies from South Africa - Do not use Dip-Pack LTD

been keeping tabs on this thread, and i have to agree with a lot of what james says. you have no idea where the damage to the crate occurred, and seem to be running around in circles blaming the only people whose names you have. as the box went sea freight after it left dip and packs possession there would be the freight handling company with warehouse and forklift at the docks, then transferring the box either into a container for placement on ship another forklift, or if not in a container , another forklift to place the box when on board the ship. then this procedure in reverse, also when on board chance of crew using crowbars to leverage it into place. this leaves a lot of areas and time scale for the damage to have happened after they were no longer in dip and packs possession . as james says why did you choose sea freight? docks/warehouse areas are well known for things going missing. i think too many variables involved to be naming and shouting on this subject. you got most of your trophies so i think you have to bite the bullet and put it down to a having had a bad experience/learning curve. if you want to continue it do so by trying to find out from the actual shipping/freight line any info they can give , but as its such a small box i wouldnt hold my breath. until you have any positive /direct info i would stop attacking people/companies where you have no hard evidence to be put against them at all. regards

Blaming the victim rarely is the solution. When transporting cargo, it is the responsibility of the shipping company until reaching final destination. If clients feel my crate was handled properly, then they can continue to use their services. Caulking it up to experience because most items were received seems overly simplistic and inaccurate.

Blaming the victim rarely is the solution. When transporting cargo, it is the responsibility of the shipping company until reaching final destination. If clients feel my crate was handled properly, then they can continue to use their services. Caulking it up to experience because most items were received seems overly simplistic and inaccurate.

i dont recall blaming you. all i did was run through the possible scenario of how your box was looked after/loaded. once delivered to the maritime side of the trip there would be no control that dip and pack would have been able to exercise over your shipment, unless you had employed one of their staff to accompany it on the ship.another example is, its a bit like blaming them if a packing case was dropped from a height while being unloaded from an aircraft...it would be damaged but it seems you would still blame them....you still havent said why you chose sea freight. as for your last sentence, well sorry but i dont see it as being simplistic and inaccurate , i would say that is factually how it is, as you are not going to get you skin back. i would stop trying to be so aggressive in your defense of your self and go back and read james post #58, and my #61, and then stop throwing your toys out of the pram. i am finished with this thread , as its not going anywhere apart from round in circles :banghead:

Jamindux

Now i have no bone in the fight...you are offering little facts and shooting from the hip hoping something will stick. There is absolutely no reason for anyone involved to join in this forum posting.

It appears that you are placing blame on everyone but your self...members have offered to assist you and provide some guidance to help you. However it seems you think that if you scream loud enough you are the big man. And everyone should dance to your tune, let me tell you it does not work that way. Things move a little slower in Africa and your screaming will not speed things up.

Are you with out a doubt positive that your PH and Dip & pack are the villains and holding your zebra hide as ransom. (a side note all PH's have a go to taxidermist and dip and pack that they recommend there clients to use) (You did not have any that you wanted to use, so you went with your PH's recommendation) Your pre-planning for your safari should have covered these issues. I have been on a few safaris and i have had this issue covered on all my safari prior to leaving. Sounds like you missed a step in your planning.

This sounds like you did not ask questions on how your trophies shipping would be packed until the issues show up and arrived. (again you did not purchase trophy insurance. so that lead me to believe that if your trophies did not show up you could survive with out them) Were you not in contact by phone or e mail with the taxidermist and dip and pack companies asking questions while the work was on going and paying your bill. I know i have been on every safari i have taken. I make sure i have phone numbers and e-mail addresses prior to leaving.

Thicker plywood is and was available at an additional cost for customers, that is an added expense and that has to be requested. Weight adds to your cost when shipping across the big pond how ever you slice it.

You were cutting corners when you shipped your trophies by ship to reduce your over all expense. There are + & - when doing this. Again why did you not ship by Air?

again you are guessing when the damage occured. Was it at the Dip and pack? At the shipper? or on the Cargo ship being tucked away? being unloaded from the ship? Can you tell us where the damage occurred? What step of the way did your crate become damaged or your zebra hide disappear?

To stand on your soap box and shout is not the way to go to settle your issues.
You are able to purchase a zebra rug on the internet for less that the cost of an airline ticket to South Africa, i suggest you go that route and step off your soap box.

James, I have dealt with this company and had similar issues like I said earlier. I don't doubt anything Jamindux is saying and that's based on personal experience. I think your missing the point.....the guy admits it happened between Africa and the US. The problem is DipPack will not acknowledge his complaint or even respond or follow up. This despite the fact he got a lawyer involved. The tone of your posting sounds a bit accusatory. Rather than shifting the blame to Jamindux, we should commend him for bringing this forward so other AH members won't get burned.

James, I should also add, when you're dealing with professional taxidermists and shipping agents, why should you have to go to the extent of specifying wood thickness etc. for crates? These guys are supposed to be the professionals. Also, I'm not aware of any issues of shipping crates by sea vs air. I don't think the guy was trying to cheap out. He's already stated, they took care of the shipping. He didn't really have input. In my mind, they're responsible.

been keeping tabs on this thread, and i have to agree with a lot of what james says. you have no idea where the damage to the crate occurred, and seem to be running around in circles blaming the only people whose names you have. as the box went sea freight after it left dip and packs possession there would be the freight handling company with warehouse and forklift at the docks, then transferring the box either into a container for placement on ship another forklift, or if not in a container , another forklift to place the box when on board the ship. then this procedure in reverse, also when on board chance of crew using crowbars to leverage it into place. this leaves a lot of areas and time scale for the damage to have happened after they were no longer in dip and packs possession . as james says why did you choose sea freight? docks/warehouse areas are well known for things going missing. i think too many variables involved to be naming and shouting on this subject. you got most of your trophies so i think you have to bite the bullet and put it down to a having had a bad experience/learning curve. if you want to continue it do so by trying to find out from the actual shipping/freight line any info they can give , but as its such a small box i wouldnt hold my breath. until you have any positive /direct info i would stop attacking people/companies where you have no hard evidence to be put against them at all. regards

Spike,
Nobody is getting back to him! What is he supposed to do? He paid for a service and didn't get the finished product! I have to agree, it sounds like you and James are shifting blame. He paid a lot of money and didn't get what he paid for. In what other business would this happen??
Again, thank you Jamindux for bringing this to our attention. For those who choose not to heed your warning all I can say is GOOD LUCK!

The duty to perform lies in the company contracted NOT the consumer. There is an expectation of service regardless of the modality utilized. If a particular option is not reliable then the contracted company should not utilize. Most countries would look at this as a possible felony, in my instance I am unable to even get a response dispute member reaching out to Dip-Pack for resolution.
I think most understand the predicament.

Thank you very much for your support and understanding of the problem. Complete lack of communication and willingness to resolve is the issue, and it is not an isolated even. Therefore, explaining my situation may help others avoid the same disastrous result.

The focus should not be on the type of transportation but the service provided and lack of response when notified of problem. If ocean freight not a satisfactory option with professional service then it should not be offered. However, when offered and utilized the is an expectation of performance by the consumer. This certainly did not happen in my case. Furthermore, based on responses, it is not unique to me. Through all of this Dip-Pack remains silent which speaks volumes.

Could not have said it better myself and exactly the points I have been trying to make. For those who feel the ownous is on the consumer, then conduct business with Dip-pack and expect to be disappointed and perhaps even missing prised trophies. Again, listen carefully. The PH convinced me to use the taxidermist he conducts business with rather than the company I wanted to use. The taxidermist chose the shipping company indicating that is who they use. The shipping company offered delivery by ocean freight and assured me reliable and professional service. Pictures indicate damaged crate upon entry to the US with zebra rug missing.
Hard to call this a consumer issue, or cost of doing business with referenced companies.
Those who agree will heed my advice and those that do not are on their own.

Spike,
Nobody is getting back to him! What is he supposed to do?

I agree there is a onus on the business to do their job. The problem is, they are not. So now what?
Try umpteen times to contact the business, get frustrated and angry, exhaust all efforts.
As a last resort Post his concerns, maybe get some help from members. When there is finally no result it provides a big warning to fellow hunters NOT to use this service.

He paid for a service and didn't get the finished product! ......... He paid a lot of money and didn't get what he paid for. In what other business would this happen??

Sadly it happens too many times around this industry. From Outfitters, to PH's, D&P's, taxidermists, Freight Forwarders.
There are always scam artists, crooks and incompetents in any industry anywhere. At home you can try and sue the guy.

http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/7996-hunter-launches-$100-000-lawsuit-taxidermist.html

Again, thank you Jamindux for bringing this to our attention. For those who choose not to heed your warning all I can say is GOOD LUCK!

I appreciate any hunter going through the effort to expose problems and help others avoid the same issue.

The duty to perform lies in the company contracted NOT the consumer.

This about says it all to me. As there are two sides to every story. I would like to hear dip-pack side. Not sure we will.....but time will tell. Jamindux, good luck in getting some form of help from any of the parties involved. Please keep us informed of any updates, good or bad.

It should not be a surprise to learn that this type of business practice occurs, especially in a third world country were the black market is so previlant. During the planning of my trip and once I returned I literally sent hundreds of emails regarding the entir process involved with an African safari. I asked very detailed questions specific to our circumstances. Until this problem, responses were prompt and questions answered. Now, everyone involved remains silent. Those who have been following know Dip-Pack has been invited to join and respond, however NO such attempt has been made. One follower suggested things happen more slowly in Africa. Under the circumstances, this sounded like a home town insider not wanting others to be aware of industry practices that occur with some degree of regularity. It is incomprehensible that a consumer should be aware and tolerate theses actions. I did my best to avoid these pitfalls and to despite my best efforts made my crate damaged and zebra rug stolen. Perhaps this could have happened regardless of businesses utilized, but one thing is for sure, it absolutely happened using the companies I dealt with. So I you want to reduce the chances of happening to you, conduct business elsewhere.

A response from Dip-pack would be much welcomed, unfortunately thus far nonexistent. Have not responded to me, the attorney or this forum. Why is it the communication was satisfactory throughout the process until crate damaged and zebra rug missing?
It is not about mode of transportation, insurance or consumer responsibility. Company had obligation to perform contracted service and result was damage and missing merchandise.
Finally, not the first time this has ever happened as evidence by information but forth by others in this forum.
I will certainly keep everyone posted as to this issue but in the abscence of resolution choose your hunting business connections very carefully. Certainly appreciate the suggestions and points of view.

Jamindux, I feel for your loss, it sucks to have a missing trophy from a expensive hunting trip. You spend so much on taxidermy and shipping, it hurts to loss something.

At the same time, I find it super hard to believe no one didn't make you buy insurance. I have had a few shipments and everytime they demanded insurance. And I'm quite familiar with the companies you are talking about. Yes insurance costs money and most of the time you get nothing in return and there is always a deductable, gotta love the deductable (lol). It just smells fishy...NO INSURANCE, it's hard to believe. Who else on AH has shipped with out insurance????

I have never been given the option to NOT pay for insurance.

It is hard to belive that there was no insurance. Especially when every time I go somewhere they want to sell insurance for everything you buy. I bet your local grocery store will be selling insurance on the food you buy. Just in case you get e-coli or some other virus. My shipment that fauna and flora just got was insured for $29,000. Figured I could go hunt buffalo and ele if something got screwed up!....was kind of hoping someone pushed my container off the plane. :D

I can't remember how much my last shipment was insured for too RickB....but it was like $30000 too and I was thinking please go missing....that's a lot of money and I can do a lot with it! I do have pictures!

I for one am glad this has been brought to light. If there is no attempt to resolve I would not do business with them. If resolved in a fair manner I would then consider them. I will reserve judgement until (if) both side of the story unfold. I hope for all involved that things are worked out.

Seems many trips have been soured by the overseas taxidermy process. As I look at all the hassles and cost of getting trophies back, I have considered leaving my trophies in Africa, instead take the money that would be spent on taxidermy and buying a real nice camera. One vision was to create a wall where we could enlarge/frame the trophy pics. One could enrich the wall with an African theme. Perhaps a large wallpaper background. Just a thought.:hmmmer:

You can see some here: Africa Wallpapers, Art Prints, Poster, Wallpaper

I have never been given the option to NOT pay for insurance.

I have always had the option for insurance also. When you get you quotation from the shipper it is there. You have the right to increase or decrease from what they quote. I have always taken the insurance for it is not that expensive.

I have clients who have not taken insurance and not had problems, but there is ALWAYS the possability of something going wrong as in your case Jamindux.

I feel for you and hope something good comes of your situation.

My understanding of ocean freight is it is less expensive but takes an extra two weeks for arrival and is only a option for mounted/finshed trophies. Supposedly I have no experience with ocean freight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg