I spoke with a leupold representative in late November who thought the custom shop would reopen around the first of the year. It might be worth investing a little more.
I called them today for a CDS question and the guy told me to just wait a little bit and that they will open sometime this year. I think that is just what I will do so I can get a modern scope with the gloss finish I love. He mentioned it opening in quarter 2 possibly.

There must be some older Leupold out there if you look on the trading sites.

Not familiar with the exact rifle but do you have to get a side mount or we I'll it take a more common mount.

Good luck hunting for a as cope and good luck with the hunt.
I have a ton of options on mounts, I wanted to go G&H side mount so I can have more room for engraving and I can take a scope off to hunt with the iron sights. After looking at some other options not sure if it will be the best option but it sure does look cool!

I agree with the ebay route. I just bought this Leupold 1.5x5 on Ebay in gloss for my glossy 375H&H.

IMG_2125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you end up doing what makes you happy. Don’t feel pressured to change your mind based on the feedback here. It’s your rifle and your hunting preference, after all.

That being said, I tend to also agree with what most others have posted. A 300WM deserves a little more scope, 2-12, 3-15, etc. I would skip iron sights and not add new holes to the gun for the scope, plenty of good options available using what the factory provides.

Great choice in gun and caliber. Have fun making it just how you want it.

You may want a glossy scope, but you don’t want a glossy scope.

The reason there are no more glossy scopes in production is because it reflects light, possibly alerting game to your presence. Manufactures realized this and now they are gone.

Imo it all came down to - it is cheaper to produce the matte scope. Likewise, the same with the rifle barrel.

Matte blue barrel, matte scope is what you want. Brightly blued barrel, I want to seek out a gloss scope to match. My Browning BLR would look horriffic with a matte. As to spooking big game, I do personally believe it matters except to birds.

I would think there will be some new old stock or like new on ebay in the vx3 line. You will pay dearly for one in that condition.

No idea on "best looking scope". Sorry!

The rig is a little expensive, but not horrible. It will not interfere with your iron sights, at least it doesn't on my Steyr Classic II. This is how the system works:

Basically, you have two pieces. The base, and a second piece where the rings attach. That's the key.

Assembled, you put the scope with rings into the base, and turn a lever 180 degrees. You have positive lock, and it always returns to zero. If you get a second scope, you get a second piece with the rings, and then you can interchange them at will. Both scopes hold their zero.

Now, here's the cool part: there are two separate bases: the "Basis", and the "Vario". If you have a second/third/ whatever rifle, you get the Vario base for those rifles. Then, when you're setting BZO for the second rifle, you adjust the BASE, not the scope. So your scope is set for the first rifle, and when you interchange the one scope between the two rifles, you adjust nothing. Scope stays set, bases stay set, BZO is constant. You can have 100 rifles and one scope, and switch them between whenever, or you can have 100 scopes and one rifle, but you're never adjusting the scope once it's set.

As far as cost, it depends on which rings, and which base. You need both parts for the first rifle.

I'm not affiliated, and not a salesman for the company. Just a very happy customer.

The one thing I don't know (and worth an email to the company) is if they have the base for the Model 70. They should, I just don't know.
@SaintPanzer, does this system limit you to one optic if you are using it on multiple rifles? For example, if you have two or more rifles and want to use two different optics, will you end up having to re-zero something when you change it? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.30.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.30.15 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Hi everyone! I’ve searched all the threads on here already but haven’t found what I’m looking for. I am hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable can chime in.

I have a Winchester model 70 super grade maple in 300wm on order. Without getting into a debate on guns it’s my dream rifle. I plan to hunt pronghorn with it this year and eventually take it to Africa for plains game. It’s going to serve as my main gun for just about all big game minus things like goats and other areas where taking a wood stocked gun doesn’t make sense.

Whenever it comes in I am sending it to Griffin & Howe to have their side mount installed. I want it so I can swap between a 1-6x scope and a higher powered scope like a 4-12x. Does anyone here have experience with the G&H side mounts?

For the real question, I am needing some help with scopes. I am a die hard leupold fan so would like to go that route but will cave to other brands. My main issue is finding a glossy finished scope that isn’t beat to death used. With the custom shop closed and no opening in sight it seems I might have to go used. Which models of used gloss leupold scopes would pair with that rifle nicely? I can’t find any old catalogues to look through to get an idea.

Has anyone ever found someone who can put a gloss finish on a new leupold scope? I am aware of the cerakote route but it doesn’t seem to have as much gloss that’s needed to match a blued gun.

Does getting a 1-6 for that rifle make sense in Africa? I am under the assumption it would be nice for hunting in wooded areas a lot nicer than having a bigger scope on.

Your thoughts and help will be appreciated!
Since you want to keep with the gloss theme I would personally find something like this
And go with Conetrol mounts. Either the Gunnur or Custum set

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.31.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.31.02 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.31.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.31.03 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.31.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.31.05 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
I would not buy a used scope from eBay for your dream rifle. Technology has come a long way since those glossy models were made. I would be concerned about the buck of your lifetime in low light at 350 yards. You need a quality scope that is clear and has good low light capability.
Look at the Leupold vari x hd 4-12 with a CDS dial and the fire dot reticle (illuminated). I bought one from Mark Biggerstaph for $599 I think last summer.
Perfect for a 300 win mag. Good for anything in Africa except dangerous game. Perfect for elk / deer.
Don’t get wrapped around your axle about a glossy scope. They discontinued it for a reason. Good hunting !

Hi everyone! I’ve searched all the threads on here already but haven’t found what I’m looking for. I am hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable can chime in.

I have a Winchester model 70 super grade maple in 300wm on order. Without getting into a debate on guns it’s my dream rifle. I plan to hunt pronghorn with it this year and eventually take it to Africa for plains game. It’s going to serve as my main gun for just about all big game minus things like goats and other areas where taking a wood stocked gun doesn’t make sense.

Whenever it comes in I am sending it to Griffin & Howe to have their side mount installed. I want it so I can swap between a 1-6x scope and a higher powered scope like a 4-12x. Does anyone here have experience with the G&H side mounts?

For the real question, I am needing some help with scopes. I am a die hard leupold fan so would like to go that route but will cave to other brands. My main issue is finding a glossy finished scope that isn’t beat to death used. With the custom shop closed and no opening in sight it seems I might have to go used. Which models of used gloss leupold scopes would pair with that rifle nicely? I can’t find any old catalogues to look through to get an idea.

Has anyone ever found someone who can put a gloss finish on a new leupold scope? I am aware of the cerakote route but it doesn’t seem to have as much gloss that’s needed to match a blued gun.

Does getting a 1-6 for that rifle make sense in Africa? I am under the assumption it would be nice for hunting in wooded areas a lot nicer than having a bigger scope on.

I use a Leupold VX6 2-12 on my 375 Ruger and Swarovski 1.3-13 on my Blaser .375. Everything else would be 12x or higher. I personally have little use for those little 1-6x after having one on a .416 a while back. It just lacks versatility and I certainly would not consider it for a .300.
I would recommend the VX5 3-15x44 for your new Winchester .300.

I use a Leupold VX6 2-12 on my 375 Ruger and Swarovski 1.3-13 on my Blaser .375. Everything else would be 12x or higher. I personally have little use for those little 1-6x after having one on a .416 a while back. It just lacks versatility and I certainly would not consider it for a .300.
I would recommend the VX5 3-15x44 for your new Winchester .300.

I actually like the 1-6x and 1-8x scopes. However, I agree with Phillip. I have the VX5 3-15x44 on my 6.5 PRC. Mine had to be sent back but the fixed it without question. It is a very impressive scope for that class of rifle.

A Vx5 is a better choice but it will push you up to around $900-$1200 depending on plain, CDS dial, fire dot. If you are thinking used scopes then the vari x 3 Hd might be your huckleberry.
I have 2 vari x 5 on rifles and I have vari x 3 hd on my go to lightweight elk rifle. The 3 is smaller and lighter . All are equipped with CDS dials and are firedots (illuminated).

Last edited:
Did plains game in SA. Leupold VX 5HD 4-20. Only one shot less than 200 yards. Most 300+. I was 7 for 7. Must have high magnification! Rest is 2ndary. Had the ballistic coefficients dialed in to 800yrds. Loved hearing PH say each time, Nice shot Grant.

@SaintPanzer, does this system limit you to one optic if you are using it on multiple rifles? For example, if you have two or more rifles and want to use two different optics, will you end up having to re-zero something when you change it? Thanks
I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I'll give it a go: Suppose we buy Rifle I. We put on a Basis base and buy scope A. Scope A is BZOed to I. Then we buy scope B. This is also BZOed to I, and the two are interchangeable. Then we buy Rifle II, and install a Vario base. We do not change the BZO to scope A, we BZO the base. For scope B, I think you'll have to adjust between the two rifles, but am not sure. If we buy Rifle III, again with a Vario base, Scope A stays the same, I'm not sure about B.

Let's also clarify a few things: This is a German system, designed for German hunting traditions and culture.

Scopes are traditionally kept separate from the rifle. EAW, Rechnagle, even a Wein Schnappermontage from Johann Springer Erben, etc. See the trend? There are "reasons" (there are always reasons), but German safes tend to be much shallower than safes I've seen in the US. The scope adds height to the rifle, and tends not to fit well in the safe. Having a system that allows you to buy one scope for multiple rifles has its benefits. The little rifle you bought to hunt Reh can use the same scope for the larger rifle you have for Hochwild like Rothirsch, Schweinwild, or other things.

Multiple scopes also have their uses. My 1-6X25 is the exact right tool for a driven hunt. It's not very helpful for Schweinwild at night, especially in times before I could use thermal attachments. But I have a nice 2.5-10 X 56 that fills that role. I don't really like that huge 56mm bell on the end of that thing... but with a full moon? It works very well. So that's what that's for. Of course, I use the same .30-06 for driven hunts that I do for night hunts, so fixed Talley bases don't really do what I need them to do. And yes, I've used both scopes on the same rifle on the same hunt...

What has this to do with Africa? Perhaps the perfect scope for a plains game hunt is not the scope I would want hunting elk in Montana, or Moose in Maine, or Brown Bear on Kodiak, or a Big Horn... but with an interchangeable system, I can do that just fine. Or maybe I saved for years to buy that wonderful Swarovski Z8, and I'd like to use it on several rifles. Or I even have several barrels for my Merkel Helix. That's what this system was designed to do, and it does it very well.

@SaintPanzer, Thank you for the reply, I think it is a very interesting system and I am going to investigate it some more.

Man if this system really works it is an awesome idea. Loads of money and space can be saved on extra scopes. Was just checking on optics-trade.eu and can’t see Win M70, but there are loads of options from Anschutz, through Blaser, M98, to picatinny (even a 20MOA version).

If you're gonna hunt with a Tanker Garand, the G&H Side Mount is THE way to go. Otherwise, the best reason is simply that you want to. @Philip Glass gave you sound advice...the best bang for the buck, without looking overly large and out of place, is the VX 5 with 44mm objective. It is not a DG rifle, and you won't need any wider field than that provided. Taking an extra scope to Africa? Great idea. Fiddling around and changing back and forth? Needless. JMO........best of luck with your project........FWB

On my custom built 7mm RM I have a Schmidt & Bender Summit in Talley rings with A4 reticule. This scope has a 1" tube, high quality glass, 40 mm objective lens, and magnification from 2.5X to 10X. I am very happy with it and feel no need for more power.

Did you say side mount? If so it won’t be a good long range rig.

I completely understand your desire for a full gloss scope on that rifle. I have a couple rifles that don't "look" right with the matte scope they carry. Patience in the search will undoubtedly yield a clean, older Leupold Vari-X II or III with the correct polish, or the custom shop reopening to provide the same.
I would agree with the suggestions to put something in the 2.5-10, 3-9, 4-12 range with a 40-42mm objective on it. My 300WM wears a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 in silver (stainless rifle); I've never wanted for more magnification. Longest shot I've ever taken with that rifle was right at 400 yards on a mule deer. Longest shot (different rifle) I've ever taken on a pronghorn was 442 yards, also taken with a 3-9x40 (Nikon) scope. Too much magnification with too much objective size simply magnifies the mirage and raises the head off the stock, unless the stock itself was designed for the high rings needed. This would make the iron sights you want unusable.
The expense and appearance of the G&H sidemount would be a very personal choice that only you can make. I would lean towards the more conventional and put Leupold QDs (have them on a lot of mine), Talley's, or Alaskan QDs if you want the option for different scopes on the rifle (different loads for different quarry sizes).
Good luck in the search! And pictures of the rifle when it arrives are mandatory you know :A Shades:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross