Rubi_300

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Freemasons, Safari Club International, O.G.C.A.
Hi everyone! I’ve searched all the threads on here already but haven’t found what I’m looking for. I am hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable can chime in.

I have a Winchester model 70 super grade maple in 300wm on order. Without getting into a debate on guns it’s my dream rifle. I plan to hunt pronghorn with it this year and eventually take it to Africa for plains game. It’s going to serve as my main gun for just about all big game minus things like goats and other areas where taking a wood stocked gun doesn’t make sense.

Whenever it comes in I am sending it to Griffin & Howe to have their side mount installed. I want it so I can swap between a 1-6x scope and a higher powered scope like a 4-12x. Does anyone here have experience with the G&H side mounts?

For the real question, I am needing some help with scopes. I am a die hard leupold fan so would like to go that route but will cave to other brands. My main issue is finding a glossy finished scope that isn’t beat to death used. With the custom shop closed and no opening in sight it seems I might have to go used. Which models of used gloss leupold scopes would pair with that rifle nicely? I can’t find any old catalogues to look through to get an idea.

Has anyone ever found someone who can put a gloss finish on a new leupold scope? I am aware of the cerakote route but it doesn’t seem to have as much gloss that’s needed to match a blued gun.

Does getting a 1-6 for that rifle make sense in Africa? I am under the assumption it would be nice for hunting in wooded areas a lot nicer than having a bigger scope on.

Your thoughts and help will be appreciated!

I’m not aware of many gloss finish scopes being produced lately. But for what you are looking at using your rifle for I’d look at something along the lines of a Leica 1.5-10x42 or Swarovski 2-12 or 2.5-15 combined with talley or DNZ mounts. I don’t see a big advantage of switching out scopes when there are some good options in scopes that meet your needs.

I agree with Berettaco. The Z8i cost a lot but you get 1.7-13.3x42 or 2-16x50 and this would cover the range of both your Leupold scopes. The Z8 has the large magnification range that you want. I prefer the 2-16x50 with BRX reticle. You can buy turret knobs if desired, but Swarovski's ballistic calculator is great!

I have tried the swoping of scopes but just did not like that option. Model 70s have better ring and base options than the side mount for less money. Save money on side mount and get a better scope.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.28.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.28.16 PM.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.28.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.28.17 PM.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 72
Model 70s have better ring and base options than the side mount for less money. Save money on side mount and get a better scope.
Agreed. Talley bases and Talley Rings (quick detach or fixed) look cleaner and return to zero quite well. No extra holes in the side of your supergrade receiver.

One downside, aesthetically, of the newer 6x or 8x zoom scopes like those listed above is they use 30mm tubes. Function is superb, but the wide tube on a slim rifle like yours looks out of proportion to my eyes.

Gloss finish Leupolds can be found regularly on eBay in very nice condition if you are patient. Set up a saved search and give it 90 days. Something will pop up, if not many somethings.

I’m not aware of many gloss finish scopes being produced lately. But for what you are looking at using your rifle for I’d look at something along the lines of a Leica 1.5-10x42 or Swarovski 2-12 or 2.5-15 combined with talley or DNZ mounts. I don’t see a big advantage of switching out scopes when there are some good options in scopes that meet your needs.
I never thought about doing those options. I’ll have to give them a look. But I’m still at the problem with those of trying to figure out how to get it gloss.

Agreed. Talley bases and Talley Rings (quick detach or fixed) look cleaner and return to zero quite well. No extra holes in the side of your supergrade receiver.

One downside, aesthetically, of the newer 6x or 8x zoom scopes like those listed above is they use 30mm tubes. Function is superb, but the wide tube on a slim rifle like yours looks out of proportion to my eyes.

Gloss finish Leupolds can be found regularly on eBay in very nice condition if you are patient. Set up a saved search and give it 90 days. Something will pop up, if not many somethings.
I never thought about the 30mm tubes looking out of place on that rifle. I’ll have to see a couple with a 30mm scope. What size tube do you think looks the best on a m70?

Leica a few years ago was making a glossy scope, you might find one used. I've been looking for a glossy Leupold 4-12 for years, I found one a couple of years ago, but could not agree on price with the seller. I am still looking too.

I never thought about the 30mm tubes looking out of place on that rifle. I’ll have to see a couple with a 30mm scope. What size tube do you think looks the best on a m70?
No idea on "best looking scope". Sorry!

The rig is a little expensive, but not horrible. It will not interfere with your iron sights, at least it doesn't on my Steyr Classic II. This is how the system works:

Basically, you have two pieces. The base, and a second piece where the rings attach. That's the key.

Assembled, you put the scope with rings into the base, and turn a lever 180 degrees. You have positive lock, and it always returns to zero. If you get a second scope, you get a second piece with the rings, and then you can interchange them at will. Both scopes hold their zero.

Now, here's the cool part: there are two separate bases: the "Basis", and the "Vario". If you have a second/third/ whatever rifle, you get the Vario base for those rifles. Then, when you're setting BZO for the second rifle, you adjust the BASE, not the scope. So your scope is set for the first rifle, and when you interchange the one scope between the two rifles, you adjust nothing. Scope stays set, bases stay set, BZO is constant. You can have 100 rifles and one scope, and switch them between whenever, or you can have 100 scopes and one rifle, but you're never adjusting the scope once it's set.

As far as cost, it depends on which rings, and which base. You need both parts for the first rifle.

I'm not affiliated, and not a salesman for the company. Just a very happy customer.

The one thing I don't know (and worth an email to the company) is if they have the base for the Model 70. They should, I just don't know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 8.13.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 8.13.31 AM.png
    790.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 8.13.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 8.13.33 AM.png
    827.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Your budget may well be the determining/limiting factor in scope selection..

My 2c - no idea what purpose a 1-6x scope would fulfill on a 300 WM. It's a plains/savannah calibre in Africa as well as the US, so more magnification makes sense. So to address your question on this, the answer is no, it makes no sense for Africa.

My suggestion would be a Swaro 3.5-18x Z5 - it's what I have on my 300H&H so I am biased but also have considerable experience with it. The Z5 has a 25mm tube and it's a nice light and fairly compact scope. Available with a few reticles plus the ballistic turret option. You're seldom going to find yourself in low light conditions with a 300 mag in Africa such that illuminated reticles are worth much.

Your questions about a gloss finish are lost on me - why would you want a scope any glossier than it already is? Likewise, QD mounts are 'nice' but a considerable additional expense for something not too critical on a PG rifle. A 300 does not need a variety of scopes and, other than to aid travel convenience, QD mounts are superfluous too.

There must be some older Leupold out there if you look on the trading sites.

Not familiar with the exact rifle but do you have to get a side mount or we I'll it take a more common mount.

Good luck hunting for a as cope and good luck with the hunt.

You may want a glossy scope, but you don’t want a glossy scope.

The reason there are no more glossy scopes in production is because it reflects light, possibly alerting game to your presence. Manufactures realized this and now they are gone.

Talley bases with QD mounts for a Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 and you will have a dream scope for your dream rifle.

@Rubi_300:
There are a lot of glossy finish Leupold scopes listed on Gunbroker and ebay, and a lot nicer and less expensive QD mounts than the G&H side mount that will not require extra holes in your receiver.

Safe shooting

I spoke with a leupold representative in late November who thought the custom shop would reopen around the first of the year. It might be worth investing a little more.

I'm far to pragmatic to answer these questions directly. Cerekote can be made pretty glossy with additional hardener.

start hitting pawn shops I have seen lots of Leupold scopes there over the years. when you find it then send it to Leupold for repair and when it comes back the guts are new at no charge

Leica a few years ago was making a glossy scope, you might find one used. I've been looking for a glossy Leupold 4-12 for years, I found one a couple of years ago, but could not agree on price with the seller. I am still looking too.
With as picky as I am I have a feeling I will be waiting a long time for the right one lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg