Scope for 416 Rigby?

Meat78

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunted
Canada
I just picked up a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby, I looking for suggestions as to what scope to put on it? Im planning on shooting 400 grain Barnes TSX, rifle will not be used for much truly dangerous game (due to price). Im wanting something that will handle the recoil and be fairly versatile. Im leaning towards the Leupold VX-2 in 1.75x6 or VX-3 in 2.5-8. Any suggestions?

I have used VX3 1.5-5x20 and a VX6 1-6x24 on my 416 Rigby

both work well for me.

I think all of the choices above my post will work just find. The .416 Rigby is easily a 200 yd gun or more.

Of the ones mentioned, I would lean towards the VX3 2.5-8.
I have a VX2 3-9x50 on my .375 Ruger that I am happy with.
If I had enough money today, I would buy the new Zeiss Victory V8 1.8-14x50 for it.

A lighter fixed power will resists damage from inertia. I tried a number of scopes but settled on a straight 2.5x Leupold as it was easy to mount and had generous eye relief. Which ever scope you choose make sure it has enough length on the scope body for adjustment on that magnum length action.

If you need to have an entry level variable, start with the Leupold 1.5-6x32. It has a longer body length and isn't too top heavy to unbalance the rifle. Turn it down to 4x for max exit pupil.

You get what you pay for.

The friend of mine that developed the B&M calibers shoots nothing but big bores. He was nothing but a Leupold guy until a year or so ago. He got tired of sending the broken ones back to Leupold to be fixed, which to their credit they always do. He decided to give the Nikons a go and as far as I know he hasn't had to send one back yet.

Good, not great, glass and a low price.

If it was mine I might go with the VX 6 in 1-6 with the illuminated Firedot 4 retical and just wince a little when paying for it. However with a 200 yard gun do you really need that range of magnification? So I would have to look hard at the Leupold VX R, it has basicly all the same features avaible in the VX 6 except it is a 3x magnification rather than 6x.

If you want light and small with good eye relief, the vx3 2.5-8 is a great choice. But for close to the same cost you could get a VX R in something like 2-7 (it also comes in a 1.25-4 and a 3-9) with an illuminated retical. It is a 30mm tube (like the vx 6) so a little bigger scope, but on a .416 is a light weight scope the main goal? I suspect you get more light and wider field of view with the 30mm tube as well. Possibly a little stronger internal system also (I really don't know)?

Have a Nikon Monarch 1-4x20 German #4 recital on my Ruger RMS. Around $300 US. 150 odd rounds so far and no problems.

A lighter fixed power will resists damage from inertia. I tried a number of scopes but settled on a straight 2.5x Leupold as it was easy to mount and had generous eye relief. Which ever scope you choose make sure it has enough length on the scope body for adjustment on that magnum length action.

If you need to have an entry level variable, start with the Leupold 1.5-6x32. It has a longer body length and isn't too top heavy to unbalance the rifle. Turn it down to 4x for max exit pupil.

You get what you pay for.

Code4,

Your points are well taken and I agree with you.

Velo Dog.

I would opt for the VX3 in 2.5-8. Reason being, if yours is as accurate as mine was the extra magnification would help for extended shooting. I had the VX3 in 1.5-5 and still stacked bullets at 100 yards. Congrats on your purchase and have a happy shoot when you scope it.

Which ever VX3 you choose, they will handle the recoil. I would try to keep the Objective lens as small as possible though, straight tube 20mm or 30mm or if belled with a 1 inch tube around 32mm at bell.

On my Winch 70 Safari Express .416RM, I have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 no problem extremely reliable, enough accurate
for short range ( 400gr DG) but if you use 300gr for long range (PG) there are better scopes like VX6 1-6 or 3-9x40.
Look at the eyerelief ...:whistle: no comment!!
Buy a very good steel mount QD type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg