Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Up bright and early this morning to enjoy one of the few remaining cool Phoenix mornings before the summer heat comes on for good. Fired up the new smoker and the brisket is on for an afternoon dinner. A quick perusal of what's on AH and then in a moment into the garage to build a few rounds. Then it will be off to the range.

The ability to do so fought for and died for by many. My salute particularly to those who have died in battle for our country. But also a salute to any who have served. I know of at least three on AH: @BnC 04, @Red Leg and @35bore. I'm sure there are more but I don't know who you are. If you feel so inclined, please identify yourselves in this thread.

Happy Memorial Day!

Thanks for the thread Phil. I too salute and thanks all Veterans past, present, and future! I love this country and am thankful for the freedoms we have due to our service men and women! God Bless the USA!

Up bright and early this morning to enjoy one of the few remaining cool Phoenix mornings before the summer heat comes on for good. Fired up the new smoker and the brisket is on for an afternoon dinner. A quick perusal of what's on AH and then in a moment into the garage to build a few rounds. Then it will be off to the range.

The ability to do so fought for and died for by many. My salute particularly to those who have died in battle for our country. But also a salute to any who have served. I know of at least three on AH: @BnC 04, @Red Leg and @35bore. I'm sure there are more but I don't know who you are. If you feel so inclined, please identify yourselves in this thread.

Happy Memorial Day!

+1

My hats off to all of our veterans!

Thanks for the thread Phil. I too salute and thanks all Veterans past, present, and future! I love this country and am thankful for the freedoms we have due to our service men and women! God Bless the USA!
+1 (y)

Thanks Phil!

Agree!

I'm truly grateful.

18740417_1400814249986052_7153822657541997558_n.jpeg

I can't believe I forgot @AZDAVE!

Absent comrades .......

I will second Red Leg's post, but at the same time change it slightly.

To absent comrades ........

Absent comrades .......

To our fallen comrades.

Edit: As I typed this quick response, it made me think of some of my U.S. Army brethren I had served with and am now losing contact with. I'll reach out and give them a call today.

Last edited:
"Absent comrades" is a toast in which I have participated many times over my military career. It closes out most Army "Dining In's" and a host of other functions. At a "Dining In" a separate table is set with empty chair and candle and to which every course is served along with everyone else. Absent Comrades are always present with the Regiment.

Thank you to those Men and Women who gave their all.

Thank you to those who have served, and those who do serve.
May those who serve in the future do so as admirably and honorably as their predecessors.

It's hard to like this photo, but I am very grateful for these sacrifices, and grateful it was not me. I'll save any accolades for Veterans Day
Understood. To me, this photo is a thank you to those that died for our country, and freedoms. We can repay their sacrifice by honoring this day, that is for those that have fallen.

None of us want to be the person under the headstone, but I would rather die in a battle, then from something like Cancer, or heart attack.

I am grateful that we have a President that respects the military, as well as our veterans. Hopefully, he can get the VA cleaned up, and our Vet's can get the help they need in an expedient manner.

Thank you @PHOENIX PHIL. Today is a day for reflection for all those who have served and a quiet simple prayer of thanks for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.

I salute you all.

+1 for all the above. Nothing more humbling than sitting on Omaha beach a month before the 50th anniversary of D-Day. It brought tears to my eyes.

Watched the history of the Vietnam "Conflict" (as the politicians called it) today, then the Afghanistan War. We've got and have had a great bunch of soldiers to be proud of from every age, war and conflict! May they always know how much we appreciate their sacrifices protecting us and our freedoms.

To my American friends hold your heads high and your hearts close on this special day. Hats off to all who fought for the freedoms we now enjoy.

I am also very blessed to live in a country where brave people fought many many conflicts to give us our freedoms. I sleep soundly knowing that service men and women are on the job. Thank you to all the vets on this forum and active duty persons across the globe protecting us still today.

My father was a WW2 Marine. On Memorial Day he always cooked some bar b que and had a drink for those who didn't come home like he did. I raise a glass now to my dad and his three brothers who served with him in the Pacific. They all are a rest now but I'm sure still keeping a watch so to speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosefaShro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.