RWS Doppelkern .30-06

Donnachaidh

AH veteran
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
137
Reaction score
285
Location
UK
Media
6
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
4
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I hope to hunt plains game in Namibia during 2018. I currently use the above ammunition (165 grain / 10,7 g) for deer in the UK. Would it be suitable for use on plains game? The carton lists some of it's attributes as 'softer tip core, harder tail core, limited fragmentation and very high shock effect'. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
What ammunition?
 
RWS DK (Doppelkern).
 
Looking at them on their site the DK appears to be basically a modern version of the Nosler Partition. For a 30-06 most people I hear use a 180 grain Partition out of a 30-06 for plains game so it's on the light side but with good shot placement on calm animals it would work I'd think. If you like the bullet and can move up to a heavier bullet you'd be playing it a little safer. My personal preference is the Barnes TTSX in 168 grain out of my 30-06. I have taken eight animals in Namibia with one shot kills so I know it works. RWS seems to have a similar bullets called the HIT.
 
Thanks, Ryan. I will see if I can track down a box of RWS HIT's and some TTSX to try; it will be my first trip to Africa, and I don't want to mess up by going under-gunned .
 
I just came back, I used my 30 06 with 180gn nosler accubonds, they worked perfectly, if I was going to go lighter I would use a solid copper like the txs, ttsx or etip, my recovered accubonds weighed 110 -115 gn I only recovered 2
 
Knowing you can find RWS ammo and looking at their offerings I'd go with either their 10,7g HIT bullet or 11,9g EVO ammo. The HIT I've already mentioned, the EVO is a bonded bullet similar to the Nosler Accubond Poz mentions and Hornady Interbond I've used in the past.
 
They will work just fine.

All you need to do is place the bullet were it needs to be.

Have shot a lot of game here with 30-06 150 gr combo. So your 165 gr will work.

Rws is a great ammo manufacture.
 
You should be fine with that rifle!
 
Hunted in May with KMG. 06 with 165 NAB zero issues. 6 animals Kudu to Springbuck... Plains game all day long
 
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your comments. I'll also ask the outfitter for his views.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,196
Members
169,930
Latest member
nzaltburn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top