Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I hope to hunt plains game in Namibia during 2018. I currently use the above ammunition (165 grain / 10,7 g) for deer in the UK. Would it be suitable for use on plains game? The carton lists some of it's attributes as 'softer tip core, harder tail core, limited fragmentation and very high shock effect'. Any advice would be appreciated.

What ammunition?

RWS DK (Doppelkern).

Looking at them on their site the DK appears to be basically a modern version of the Nosler Partition. For a 30-06 most people I hear use a 180 grain Partition out of a 30-06 for plains game so it's on the light side but with good shot placement on calm animals it would work I'd think. If you like the bullet and can move up to a heavier bullet you'd be playing it a little safer. My personal preference is the Barnes TTSX in 168 grain out of my 30-06. I have taken eight animals in Namibia with one shot kills so I know it works. RWS seems to have a similar bullets called the HIT.

Thanks, Ryan. I will see if I can track down a box of RWS HIT's and some TTSX to try; it will be my first trip to Africa, and I don't want to mess up by going under-gunned .

I just came back, I used my 30 06 with 180gn nosler accubonds, they worked perfectly, if I was going to go lighter I would use a solid copper like the txs, ttsx or etip, my recovered accubonds weighed 110 -115 gn I only recovered 2

Knowing you can find RWS ammo and looking at their offerings I'd go with either their 10,7g HIT bullet or 11,9g EVO ammo. The HIT I've already mentioned, the EVO is a bonded bullet similar to the Nosler Accubond Poz mentions and Hornady Interbond I've used in the past.

They will work just fine.

All you need to do is place the bullet were it needs to be.

Have shot a lot of game here with 30-06 150 gr combo. So your 165 gr will work.

Rws is a great ammo manufacture.

You should be fine with that rifle!

Hunted in May with KMG. 06 with 165 NAB zero issues. 6 animals Kudu to Springbuck... Plains game all day long

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your comments. I'll also ask the outfitter for his views.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross