Russell or Courteney - Safari Boots...

I'm still very happy with my Courteney Selous. Very well made and surprisingly quiet. I needed a back-up pair of quiet boots, but I can't justify 2 pair of Courteneys. I picked up a pair of Danner Jackal II GTX Hunting Boots in EE width and have started breaking these in. I wish they had an all-leather option, but they don't. The leather accent with brush camo is as close as you can get for now. They're not as quiet as the Courteney, but they're much quieter than most Danner offerings. I put a couple long days in some fairly brutal heat with these boots and so far I like the feel and comfort. Considering they're 1/3 the price of the Selous model, I would recommend these be considered.

After much deliberation, I have decided on the Irish Setter SoftPaw chukkas. I have a pair without the ultradry lining, and a pair with the ultradry lining, and I am going to take both. They wear like a glove for me, are quiet, and I have worn on pair or the other every day for several hours for the last couple of months. Hardly any break-in time at all. The best thing is that they were $139.99 online. I have put them in some rough conditions, and they seem to be holding up well. At that price, I would recommend ordering a pair online and checking them out; if you don't like them, you can always send them back (I ordered 2 sizes in each and tried them for 2 weeks walking around inside, then sent the ones that I did not want back to Cabelas).

Thanks for the post bdmd5093.

To be honest, I think both Russell and Courteney boots are for the guy that wants to "look the part" as much as anything. Nothing wrong with that, but I will stick with my regular old worn in hiking boots anyday.

IMO this is the sort of comment that gives internet forums such a bad name. Because you have an opinion on something, everyone that doesn't agree with your opinion is "looking the part"

I have several pairs of regular old worn in hiking boots, one pair of which I took to Africa in 2005. Too noisy, too heavy - unecessary in every respect.

Between 05 and 09 when we hunted Zimbabwes' low veldt, I acquired a pair of Courtney Selous boots and my brother bought Russels with the crepe? sole.

He found the Russels very quite but not worth a pinch of fairy dust in anything rough or slightly inclined.

The Courtneys were a bit noisier than the Russells, but worked fine in sand, steeper stuff and flat stuff.

Both where better than hiking boots - in the terrain we hunted in.

I wore the same Courtneys in the Eastern Cape last month, some pretty steep stuff, as well as some very rocky stuff in the Karoo. Worked fine.

He took his Russells to Zim at the same time, and wore them for 2 hours in 2 weeks. The rest of the time he wore a law enforcement type (HiTec copy from Cabelas bargain cave) boot the rest of the time. Loved them - at about a third the price of Courtneys or Russells.
His Russells would have been way better with a normal sole, but no better than the Courtneys, we think (he owns Courtneys as well)

My choice is Courtneys, with a pair of short gaiters to keep grass seeds and other uninvited guests out, because they have worked well for me over lots of miles in Africa and lots more in Australia.

What ever boot you wear, it is a given that they should be worn in and fit your foot type and be suitable for the terrain. I have feet that resemble paddles, so the Courtneys suit my paddle err.. foot. My hiking boots took several months to break in because of my feet, but when I hunted in Alaska and New Zealand (where Courtneys of Afrcan type Russells would have been worth a cap full of cold water) I had no problems.

controlled_feed, I really don't think TOM was trying to start any shit here, I think he has some boots that work for him and the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". It was after all just an opinion, you know, "freedom of speech". Anyway, I have 2 pair of boots that I would swear by, a pair of Cabelas hiking boots, which went with me this year to Africa, and an old old pair of US Army issue boots that are still with me, both are quite walkers. Scott

I wasn't trying to start anything either, but it's comments like "looking the part" that I'm fairly certain TOM wouldn't say to someone that he didn't know, if the conversation was face to face. I know I wouldn't, and would expect others not to do it to me.

My comment had nothing to do with whether TOM's boots work for him or not (everyone has different feet and different needs. What works for me shouldn't 100% work for you or TOM because we are different). It related to his statement that "I think both Russell and Courteney boots are for the guy that wants to "look the part" as much as anything".

As I said, not trying to start anything, and this will be my last words on the subject.

controlled_feed

Started reading this post before going to Africa. For the trip I has a pair of Hitechs and merrils. Found the Hitechs to noisy and stiff. Merrils were pretty good, but unfortunatly not ankle hight so my gaiters would not cover my socks.

Whilst in Bulawayo I bought both Courtney Safaris (Buffalo Leather) and the Selous (Elephant leather). Both have identical souls. I completed more then half my safari wearing the safaris and found them very comfortable and pretty quiet. The only place where they did not work as well as a boot with a heal was on hills that were covered with quartz pebbles. But in all fairness I think even a boot with an aggressive tread would have struggled. Bit like walking on ball bearings.

When I eventually return to Zim would definitely buy more Courtneys. If in Bulawayo go to a place called Fazzaks, they have the full range as well as Tag clothing at about 1/3 of the price that you see on the net. Since Zim adopted US dollar Courtneys have gone up in Price. I paid $200 for the Safaris and $380 for the Selous.

To be honest, I think both Russell and Courteney boots are for the guy that wants to "look the part" as much as anything. Nothing wrong with that, but I will stick with my regular old worn in hiking boots anyday.
Courteney "Safaris" happen to be one of my regular warm weather "go to" hunting boots. They are ideal for most of Aus/ African hunting conditions but I'm not so sure I'd call them a "look the part" boot?

Controlled_feed has a very good point.

"looking the part"

Has Tom stated if you wear camo that you "look the Part".

Has Tom Stated that if you wear Danner or Merrell that you "look the Part".

So according to Tom if he sell it or wears it, it is ok and not Looking the part.

The Courtney boots that i purchased are great and i will purchase another pair next year while i am in Zimbabwe.

Boxers or briefs?

I have hunted extensively with both the Courtney Safari ( made in both buff and elephant) and made-to-measure Russell PH's, with the the measurements taken by Ralph himself at SCI. Both work well. I prefer the Courtneys for Africa, but the Russell's have worked well in Africa, in Argentina nunting red stag and for quail and pig hunting here at home.

Like underwear, buy what feels most comfortable. take 2 pair of boots so you can alternate them while on safari. I always wear one pair for travel and pack the second pair.

Most important, break them in well before you leave. I do this by wearing them in the gym during workouts, with my hunting socks on. BTW, IMHO, Falke trek 2 are the best hunting socks I've ever worn.

just think the whole statement go blew way out of proportion, I also agree with C_F as far as his statement that " what works for him may not work for others" same can be said about the majority of the replies on this topic. I still did not think "looking the part" was that out of line,that it should have created such a response, unless the guys freaking out are the one's who are offended that they may be "the ones" who are trying to look the part, not saying any of you are, just saying....

There aint a damn thing wrong with wanting to look the part. We read and dream about going to Africa for many years, at least most of us. I started reading Ruark when I was 12 and thats longer ago than I care to dwell upon, and there was and still is a "look' to hunting in Africa. To what extent the individual wants to go is his affair. I am still wearing the same three pairs of bush pants that I started with in TZ in 1985, albeit a somewhat tighter fit! The shirts had to be replaced several times because I wear them at home too. I bought a pair of Courteneys in Zim in 1996 for 30US$ and took them to Zim this past year again as well as Bot and Namibia and RSA. Yes I like to look the part up to a point myself. I absolutely shudder when I see some guy hunting in Africa wearing blue jeans! They really dont look "Africa" at all, but hey whatever works.

There aint a damn thing wrong with wanting to look the part. We read and dream about going to Africa for many years, at least most of us. I started reading Ruark when I was 12 and thats longer ago than I care to dwell upon, and there was and still is a "look' to hunting in Africa. To what extent the individual wants to go is his affair. I am still wearing the same three pairs of bush pants that I started with in TZ in 1985, albeit a somewhat tighter fit! The shirts had to be replaced several times because I wear them at home too. I bought a pair of Courteneys in Zim in 1996 for 30US$ and took them to Zim this past year again as well as Bot and Namibia and RSA. Yes I like to look the part up to a point myself. I absolutely shudder when I see some guy hunting in Africa wearing blue jeans! They really dont look "Africa" at all, but hey whatever works.

I see this thread is still rolling, some very good options available, should be helpful for many in the future.

sestoppelman, well put.

boots

I have worn courtneys most of the time I have a set of the trackers. I guess I try to look the part in comfort. I like the way they feel, and they have lasted 5 years 3 full bird seasons and 2 8 day african safaris, and they still have a ton of "wear" left in them. The only thing that I would change is I'd like the leather color on the toe darker...thats just about it.

The Courteney Boot Company - The Courteney Tracker

I also like the Clarks Wallabees I have worn them too on safari- they are nice and soft and pretty quite. they are 95-140 dollars and I get about 2 years out of a pair--they are my go too hunting travel shoe.

Clarks of England Wallabee Boot Hi in Beeswax

Ed

I have been following this thread for quite a while and it sparked my interest in a purchasing a good pair of handmade boots. I want them for hog hunting and bird hunting in Florida. I really like the Quoddy boots that are made in Maine and also some of the Russell boots, but feel that the price was too high. Well I have been away on a job and my boss and I were talking good boots again and I mentioned that I may just order a pair of Russel boots. I had to run into town today for a visit with the doctor and on my way back to the jobsite, I stopped by a Hospice Resale Shop (higher end thrift store). On the bottom shelf of the mens shoe rack were a pair of leather boots that looked very familiar. I picked them up and they were a pair of Russell South 40 Bird Shooters. They were my size! The price was $8.00!!!!! Needless to say I bought them and put them on in the truck and wore them back to work. Now I am seriously thinking of purchasing a pair of the Tony Lama Chukka boot mentioned by another member previously.

It was later Christmas for you tarawa, congrats!!!

Reading this thread has been helpful for me. I've been thinking seriously about a pair of Russell's. my cousin has some and loves them. I want something that is quiet and I guess I do want to "look the part." To me, that is part of the dream. It is the same reason I will probably get a leather ammo pouch. :)

Iv'e made mention before that I bought two pair of Russell PH boots used on a web site. They both fit like custom boots for me. I got lucky. Pays to have small feet. As far as looking the part, well I'll admit I want to look the part too!. Why not...you save half your life to go to Africa..no reason to not wear what ya want. If I hadn't found these boots, which two where cheaper than one new pair, I would have worn my military issue dessert boot from the 90's.

I have worn courtneys most of the time I have a set of the trackers. I guess I try to look the part in comfort. I like the way they feel, and they have lasted 5 years 3 full bird seasons and 2 8 day african safaris, and they still have a ton of "wear" left in them. The only thing that I would change is I'd like the leather color on the toe darker...thats just about it.

The Courteney Boot Company - The Courteney Tracker

I also like the Clarks Wallabees I have worn them too on safari- they are nice and soft and pretty quite. they are 95-140 dollars and I get about 2 years out of a pair--they are my go too hunting travel shoe.

Clarks of England Wallabee Boot Hi in Beeswax

Ed
That Tracker looks very similar to the kudu shoes I got in Zim in '96 but mine are rough out and all one color. Sole is different too, as mine is non lugged.

That Tracker looks very similar to the kudu shoes I got in Zim in '96 but mine are rough out and all one color. Sole is different too, as mine is non lugged.

Went to the sites that sell them and HOLY SMOKE! I paid 30US$ for mine way back (in Zim) for what would be called the Vellie now, though mine are a little different and they are $180 bucks. The Tracker is over 300US! My exact shoe is not listed anymore, though as I say the Vellie is close. They do last though. Mine has what they call the Ripple sole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg