Russell or Courteney - Safari Boots...

courtnets for me and my wife,oh hum.

Doc your spot on!
Courtney's
Courtney's mohair socks
Ballistol oil
All you need on your feet for any African safari
James,my friend,come to my village and I'll take you across to Swakopmund to a little place called 'Leather Creations'.There,you can choose yourself a pair of genuine kudu-skin 'vellies' and you'll not want for anything else ever again..!

Well, my first test of Courteney were Selous sourced through the Australian distributor. I then asked for a set of Patrol in dark brown
The Selous came from his stock and are well made and heavy but were a firm fit.
I ordered the Patrol as I originally wanted the higher boot and ankle support. They’re are a loose fit both sized at 9.5 English.
I use an inner sole in both for arch support something the Courteney lack.
I do think they are well built and a tough leather boot, I hope they go the distance as when I do a African Safari in 7 weeks I’m travelling light so going in the boots I’m wearing when I travel for 10 days .
The Patrol seem to be a softer thinner leather , surprised me. Selous are the flagship model but I’d have thought they would be the softer leather for the everyday wear and the Patrol would be a thicker tougher leather.
Both work and both have a tractor sole. I would not buy that sole for everyday wear. They collect to many rocks etc and Courteney offer 2 other options.
I hope these will last a long time with regular use walking and hunting in the Australian bush. They should!
My recommendation is to try them before you buy them. See if your distributor will accept returns if they are mail order.
not happy are Cape Buffalo with Kudu trim so I’m not sure why one is stiffer. Presumably the leathers are sourced the same and readily available to them.
Either way I’m looking forward to wearing a set to Africa for a cull hunt.

I was measured for a pair of Russell’s at DSC. when they arrived they were so small I could not even get my foot into them. I then bought a pair of Courteney Selous boots. They were beautiful, well made and seemed to fit perfectly. Unfortunately, when getting in shape for my safari I found that they rubbed my lateral malleolus ( the bone on the outside of the ankle) so badly I could not walk in them at all. I tried various pads but after a mile or two I was in agony. So I put them away.
I finally went to REI and bought a pair of Lowa boots that fit me.
They were perfect. I walked five miles a day for several months without any issues. Upon return from my safari I bought a second pair to save in case they ever stop making them!

Which version of the Lowa's work best in Africa? Are the Gortex lined OK, or too hot (Limpoppo, RSA in July).

I tried a pair of Lowas, (non Gortex) a while back. Seemed to fit pretty well - just around the house, but returned them because they squeaked. Probably should have tried to figure that out.

I don't think REI even stocks the not Gortex versions.

On safari, I wear military type, light, desert shoes, tall just above the ankle.

Kenetrek Safari

I would have a hard time recommending Russell Moccasin. I know folks who swear by them, but I wasn’t very impressed. I had them measure my feet at the DSC convention and make me a pair of short Thula – Thula boots. Took longer than they said to get them, and when they arrived the size stamped inside was 10-1/2 C. By foot measurement on most standard charts, I’m between 11 and 11-1/2 length and between a D and E width. They have their own sizes, but for a “custom” boot that they measured, the fit was not nearly as good as I expected. Despite being stamped 10-1/2, there’s enough leather beyond the toes to curl up and hang a bell on. The C width seems to be accurate … certainly rubs the widest part of my feet. The tongue leather is relatively thick and bunches up when you tie the boot, which then rubs a raw spot near the ankle.

They are very light and very quiet. The Thula – Thula is not for everyone (probably as close to walking barefoot as you can get, so no support to speak of).

I’ve since tried a pair of Courteney boots (Selous). I wore them around town and to the office a few days, then finally went hiking on some fairly rough ground over the weekend. The padding around the top is very soft, as is the tongue leather. Very comfortable around the ankle. The tread looks like it should be the nosiest thing you’ve ever walked in, but it was surprisingly quite (relatively soft rubber). Comes in a very nice package with cleaning and polish kit. Wide boot by design, so that worked well for me. The top of the shoe, however, tapers straight down to the sole at the front, so there’s not much height near the toes. The joints of my toes stay in contact with the top of the boot all the time, but I didn’t develop any blisters or hot spots over the weekend. These are certainly heavier than the Russells, but at least so far, seem to be better made IMO.

Having said all this, all I’ve really done is waste a bunch of money on expensive shoes. By the time I return to Africa, I’ll probably end up wearing the same thing I did last time – a pair of Keen hikers that cost a fraction of either of the ones above.
I can't offer much on the Court keys or the Brussels but I do love the Keen hikers.

To be honest, I think both Russell and Courteney boots are for the guy that wants to "look the part" as much as anything. Nothing wrong with that, but I will stick with my regular old worn in hiking boots anyday.
Completely agree in my experience. I sold my Courtney’s and now hunt with a pair of Columbia’s that are quiet, light and great arch support and happy

I wear Courteney's because they work for me and I can't seem to wear them out. I honestly could care less about the 'image', and I doubt the critters on our farm care either.

I like light hikers, particularly the Merrell chameleon. The big issue with any light hiker I have tried is they just don't have a soft enough sole for serious stalking. They are fine for a PG hunt where shots are longer. However, my safari's are typically tracking affairs where things get up close and personal, and any amount of noise can be a big problem. I haven't found anything better than the Courteney for this type of hunt. The Russell's are great as well, but for me the nod goes to Courteney.

I have about as good a direct comparison story as possible. I actually took a pair of Courtenys (Patrol model) AND a pair of Russells (Joe's PH) on a bird hunting trip in Eastern Oregon in September 2 years ago. For those not familiar, Eastern Oregon in September is hot as hell in the daytime. I'd had both for quite a while, thus both were well broken-in. I consider both comfortable, but had never done any intense walking in either. I mainly wear them to work and around the house. Anyway, this was a walking-intensive hunt. We were shooting pheasants, huns, quail and chukars behind flushers and pointers, and probably walked a total of 7 or so miles a day through millet fields and open sage country with rolling hills. I wore the Courtenys for the first half of the first day, and my feet were killing me. I switched to the Russells and never switched back. They're not only the most comfortable boot I've ever had, they may well be the most comfortable things I've ever put on my feet! No foot fatigue after all that walking. I've been back to the same place twice, and have never bothered with anything but the Russells. They're the most perfect warm weather upland hunting boot I've ever used.

They do have a couple of downsides, however. They're definitely not as durable as the Courtenys. The soles on mine in particular are getting pretty worn, and I'm going to have to send them back to the factory soon for reconditioning. Whereas my 2 pairs of Courtenys look like they have another 10 years in them. They're also ridiculously expensive--and they just had the gall to raise their prices! They cost 3 to 5 times what other boots cost, and don't last any longer. So that's pretty annoying.

As far as fitting Russells, I didn't have any difficulty. I didn't have any custom fitting done and ordered a pair that was in stock. They said to order a half size down from what you normally wear so I did; I'm normally a 12D, and I ordered an 11.5D. They've fit perfectly from day 1 and, being moccasins, required little to no break-in. I think a lot of people overcomplicate the fitting process for Russells. Order a half size down from what you ordinarily wear and you should be fine.

Last year i gave my 2 pair of hunting boots to our 2 trackers prior to leaving camp...

The pair i wear to Alaska and northern states for hunting are Danner's boots and i do not like there new models.

So i am looking at having a pair made for me....

I have white boots, however they do not have a soft soles.
White's Boots, Hunting Boots, Pac Boots, Work Boots, Outdoor Clothing

I am looking at purchasing a pair of Russell boots or Courteney boots:

Sportsmen's Footwear Since 1898 - Fine handmade custom fitted moccasin style boots and shoes for hunters and outdoors men and women!

The Courteney Boot Company - The Courteney Collection

The question from owners of these fine hunting boots what are there positives and negatives...and would you purchase another pair if you needed a new pair...

Thank you for your assistance...
While you will find people on here that swear by Courtney Boots I am not one of them given I have owned two pair, hoping that the second pair would be better...they were not for the following reasons:
Pros: Extremely well made boots, great quality.
Cons: Heavy, Do not support your arch at all...I do not want to pay the high price for these and have to use some type of arch support.
I have not owned Russell so cannot comment.

I bought my Russells through Cabelas in 2005. Had to exchange for a better fit but worked well . The toe box on the Courtneys has low height. It's best to try them out way before any hunt. My go to pair was a decent pair from REI.. hiking boots. I bought all of my Courtneys on eBay... just to have. So I would recommend looking at good hiking boots and call it a day.

I have nothing to offer on the Courtney front; I have never used a pair.

I used Lowa Renegades on my first trip and they worked dandy. But because of a thread on here a while back, I bought a pair of GoRuck MacV-1s. I'm going to give them a whirl on my trip in June. They are like having air on my feet. I have pretty fungible feet though, so I don't think they'll be an issue.

I have nothing to offer on the Courtney front; I have never used a pair.

I used Lowa Renegades on my first trip and they worked dandy. But because of a thread on here a while back, I bought a pair of GoRuck MacV-1s. I'm going to give them a whirl on my trip in June. They are like having air on my feet. I have pretty fungible feet though, so I don't think they'll be an issue.
+1 on Lowas. After Courtney I now use Lowa and Columbia as my safari boots pay a third of the price though price has nothing to do with it, they just are comfortable for all day hunting

Another +1 on Lowa Renegades. Not magical, but they work (hiking) better for me than the Courtneys I used in Africa 2 years ago - or anything else I've tried.

The fitter at REI convinced me I needed a half size larger than what I first asked for. She took the insoles out and had me stand on them. Turns out the foot that usually gives me grief is longer than the one that doesn't.

No experience with Russell boots. Have tried a lot of other outdoor footwear over the years including a lot of years and miles in Tony Lamas and Justins. :) Now, I spend 5 months a year in rubber bottom pacs. My feet are narrow, with high arch/instep. Not easy to find decent footwear in a world of EEEE flat Asian choices. 12 B uninsulated rubber bottom leather top pacs do pretty well but mostly for snow, mud and winter use. Lucked into a pair of Courteney Selous in Bulawayo several years ago for the local price. Just a tad short and a little wide and with flat footbed... but being all leather I thought what the heck... I started wearing them while there and applied some alcohol and boot stretchers when I got home. Added a simple insert and presto- best walking, hot weather footwear I've ever worn. Have used Courteneys on every Africa trip since. Nothing better for me for hot weather and long distances on scrabble and sand. They do break in if given a chance. I challenge anyone to claim a pre-sized, technical type plastic synthetic framed boot with stiff ankle support to ever break in- no matter their price or name. They invariably "sweat" your feet because of the synthetics. They either fit perfectly or your foot will end up breaking in to them! I tried that type of boot long ago and hate the stiff ankle support that feels more like a ski boot. It is counter productive for me for stability with the flat foot bed of the Courteney design more important for me. I now have Courteneys in the Selous and Safari models and alternate between them here during the summer. Both equally comfortable and I am trying to get as many years as possible out of them. That's my experience and anyone's may vary.

I have about as good a direct comparison story as possible. I actually took a pair of Courtenys (Patrol model) AND a pair of Russells (Joe's PH) on a bird hunting trip in Eastern Oregon in September 2 years ago. For those not familiar, Eastern Oregon in September is hot as hell in the daytime. I'd had both for quite a while, thus both were well broken-in. I consider both comfortable, but had never done any intense walking in either. I mainly wear them to work and around the house. Anyway, this was a walking-intensive hunt. We were shooting pheasants, huns, quail and chukars behind flushers and pointers, and probably walked a total of 7 or so miles a day through millet fields and open sage country with rolling hills. I wore the Courtenys for the first half of the first day, and my feet were killing me. I switched to the Russells and never switched back. They're not only the most comfortable boot I've ever had, they may well be the most comfortable things I've ever put on my feet! No foot fatigue after all that walking. I've been back to the same place twice, and have never bothered with anything but the Russells. They're the most perfect warm weather upland hunting boot I've ever used.

They do have a couple of downsides, however. They're definitely not as durable as the Courtenys. The soles on mine in particular are getting pretty worn, and I'm going to have to send them back to the factory soon for reconditioning. Whereas my 2 pairs of Courtenys look like they have another 10 years in them. They're also ridiculously expensive--and they just had the gall to raise their prices! They cost 3 to 5 times what other boots cost, and don't last any longer. So that's pretty annoying.

As far as fitting Russells, I didn't have any difficulty. I didn't have any custom fitting done and ordered a pair that was in stock. They said to order a half size down from what you normally wear so I did; I'm normally a 12D, and I ordered an 11.5D. They've fit perfectly from day 1 and, being moccasins, required little to no break-in. I think a lot of people overcomplicate the fitting process for Russells. Order a half size down from what you ordinarily wear and you should be fine.

Funny, I did the exact same thing tracking buffalo in the Zambezi Valley and came to the opposite conclusion. Most importantly, the Courteney’s were quieter. I guess we each just have to find what works for us.

Funny, I did the exact same thing tracking buffalo in the Zambezi Valley and came to the opposite conclusion. Most importantly, the Courteney’s were quieter. I guess we each just have to find what works for us.
I think the key is matching the boot to the terrain.

Reactions: WAB
It is interesting how feet are so different across the human genome. I've tried them all, and for me it is Courteneys. In particular the Jamesons. I've got trick ankles and need the support. The Jamesons give me that.

The important thing to know about Courteneys is they are big. Big in width. If you are used to the idea of having tight fitting boots, and who isn't, you might think you got the wrong size and that you'll end up with blisters everywhere. But for me that just hasn't been the case. My feet are swimming in the boots and never get a hot spot. And I actually appreciate no instep support, again because I've got trick ankles and no instep keeps my feet flat.

What I call the welt, not sure if that is the correct name- basically the place where the sole is stitched to the upper, is wider than most boots. Not sure if that is intentional or an artifact of the way it is constructed, but it makes the footprint of the boot wider so again helps with my trick ankles.

While in South Africa this last time I decided to give the Courteney Selous a try. Figured at worse I'd wear them just around home, but instead they've become my daily shoe. I won't hunt in them, that is reserved for the Jamesons. The only problem I've encountered is the toe box is not very high and if I let my big toenail grow at all it ends up hurting because of the constant pressure. Maybe someday I'll wet that leather and stretch it just a bit. For now I just keep my toenails clipped.

Anyway, for Safaris Courteneys are my choice over all others. I've even ordered a second set of Jamesons to keep around in case they quit making them.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg