Ruger safari magnum. Good, Bad and Ugly?

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have held many in 416 and 458 Lott and they feel pretty good in the hand and shoulder. I just don’t hear of many guys taking them to Africa. I see plenty of ruger #1s. At the now a days price point of $2500-$3000 are they worth it?

I have never owned one. I don’t know how they ever made any money on them at any price point. They appear to be nice solid rifles. Wish I had bought every one of them I could have over the years. :) they are still seemingly a lot of gun for the money.

Yes. The rifles are worth it. Fit, finish, and workmanship can’t be beat for that $.
My only complaint is the safety. Due to its smaller size, it can be difficult to move forward. It’s not like the wing safety of the winchester.

The CZ 550 action is strong and good for builds. You will hear that the rifles need work prior to being deemed reliable… no experience there.

I’ve had two custom 404s, and numerous other high end rifles, I’m currently building a 3rd 404 now but for the $ you can’t get anything close to the RSM.

Last edited:
That do have a weird bedding/recoil system and are a little Front heavy. Recoil pad is a bit thin. But it's nothing a good gunsmith can't deal with. I love mine, even though it has been shot yet. Going to a gunsmith for some bedding and stock reinforcement.

I agree with the odd recoil bedding system, but have never had an issue with it. I’ve taken two cape buffalo with a 416 RSM, some time ago. Incredible quality at that price point. For my taste, they are a little bulky, even for an express rifle. The extra weight does help tame recoil of course. I’ve never had any issue with the functionality, and have experience with both the 416 and one in 375. I also prefer a little more recoil pad, but mostly because I prefer a little more LOP. I hope that helps. I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

I agree with the odd recoil bedding system, but have never had an issue with it. I’ve taken two cape buffalo with a 416 RSM, some time ago. Incredible quality at that price point. For my taste, they are a little bulky, even for an express rifle. The extra weight does help tame recoil of course. I’ve never had any issue with the functionality, and have experience with both the 416 and one in 375. I also prefer a little more recoil pad, but mostly because I prefer a little more LOP. I hope that helps. I don’t think you can go wrong with one.
Glad to hear an endorsement from someone that used on in the field! I am jealous. I have the 458 lott RSM. Always wanted an RSM since I first viewed them on Rugers website as a kid.

I have on in .458 Lott. It's been discussed on AH that the stock can be a bit of a weak point due to splitting. I'm actually having it fitted with a McMillan stock at the moment. The stock I have is fine, but I prefer synthetic.

Glad to hear an endorsement from someone that used on in the field! I am jealous. I have the 458 lott RSM. Always wanted an RSM since I first viewed them on Rugers website as a kid.
How could I forget…. I took an elephant in the Caprivi in ’99 with that RSM in 416 as well. They have been under appreciated for years. The 458 Lott may very well be the best amongst them.

The Ruger RSM is one of the best rifles ever built for the money. They are a little fat on the weight side but other than that you can’t beat them. I know serval PH’s that have carried and relied on the RSM for many years and still do so today even know they are out of production. I have also read many accounts of PH’s and hunters alike relying on them. More than likely Ruger will never produce the RSM ever again.

There are some far fetched asking and selling prices right now for the RSM but if you keep your eyes open you can still pick them up at reasonable prices. Cabela’s just sold a new no box 416 Rigby last week for $1,799.00. $3,000.00 is pushing it as far as I am concerned and really $2,500.00 is as well. But at the end of the day it is what it is worth to you.

The Ruger Hawkeye African (Guide Gun and Alaskan) are great rifles as well and can not beat them for the price. The profile and ergonomics of the African is great. You can carry them all day with out breaking your back and they are fast handling. The only drawback is the chamberings. Although I think the 375 and 416 Ruger are some of the best new cartridges out today and they have a lot of potential for standard length actions. The Hawkeye African is no RSM but it is not supposed to be either. The African is my go to.

As far as the CZ is concerned it ain’t no Ruger and never will be. With that said CZ’s are great rifles just not in the same class as the Ruger’s.

The Ruger No. 1 Tropical is also a great rifle. One of the best single shoots ever made. Again a little fat on the weight side. Prices should be around $1,000.00 to $1,750.00 for the Tropical.

As far as the 416 Rigby or Ruger vs 458 Lott or Winchester Magnum stick with the 416. It will out penetrate the 458 any day of the week.

Thanks

The RSM’s are a heck of a lot of rifle for the money. I have one in .416 Rigby and one in .375 H&H, both easily shoot sub-MOA and are not finicky when it comes to factory ammo or hand loads. Both are also 100% functionally reliable out of the box. I’ve taken them both to Africa several times and shot elephant, buff, lion and a bunch of plains game. The .375 is definitely on the heavy side, but a joy to shoot. The Rigby is about right in my opinion.
I agree with the criticism of the safety, just like any other Ruger, not my favorite but you get used to it. I have heard of a couple stocks splitting under recoil with the .458 Lott. Bedding and adding a cross bolt might be a good idea with the Lott. Making sure actions screws are properly torqued with any of them is a must.
Quit a few folks here on AH have RSM’s and I haven’t heard much in the way of complaints or criticism. Just praise for what they are. A factory rifle a step above “production” but not in the same league as a properly executed custom build. Not carrying a custom price tag either. Far from it.
As for being worth $2500-$3000. In today’s dollars and comparing the available options I think they are worth that amount of money considering what you get. However I don’t think you have to spend that much on an RSM if you are patient and seriously shop around. If you find one in like new condition with better than average wood I wouldn’t hesitate too long. It probably won’t last. Even in that price range. $2K or less is an absolute steal.

I have owned about 6 RSMs. I own two now, plus one of the Express models. On my last hunt I took my RSM .404 converted from a RSM .375. All three animals were one shot kills, with the buff being at 90 yards. If I am able to go back, the .404 will be with me once again. Yes, they are a little on the heavy side, but not enough to concern me.

I bought my first one in 2014. A .416 Rigby for $1500. If I were to place the .404 for sale at this time, I would be asking $4000 for it, but really never plan on selling it.

Three or four years ago I was speaking with someone who knows a bit about Ruger production. The RSM would cost in the vicinity of 3.5-4K to make then. It would not be any cheaper now. It is one heck of a deal - particularly in the 40's. The .375 uses the same barrel profile making it both barrel heavy and very heavy for that caliber. The .416 is just about right.

I snagged a lightly used one last month in .375 Ruger, LH, wood stock, for $950, plus shipping. I love it, so far. I especially like the white bead front sight. However, I am going to put another crossbolt in it, for insurance.
If it is a .375 Ruger, it is not a RSM. It is a Ruger Hawkeye African. Not the same rifle.

I snagged a lightly used one last month in .375 Ruger, LH, wood stock, for $950, plus shipping. I love it, so far. I especially like the white bead front sight. However, I am going to put another crossbolt in it, for insurance.
The RSM was chambered in .375, .416, and .458. None were chambered in .375 Ruger (which didn't exist yet).

You are correct. The poster has the RSM and Hawkeye confused.
Responded about the same time you did.

The RSM in the .416 or the Lott is one hell of a rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,