Robert Reitnauer .375 H&H

Atrox

Reaction score
Media
For some years now I have owned a FN Browning .375 H&H that lived in Robert's camp in Kenya. It was given to him by a client in '63 and used as a loner for clients that didn't bring a heavy. A letter from Robert describes the amazing amount of game taken with it . It is a dramatic example of a rifle that withstood 10 years of use, but not abuse in Africa.
.375 smaller.jpg

Wow, that’s awesome.

Wonderful thing!

Love those old FNs. You don’t often see the Lyman peep attached to it that the receiver came pre drilled for from the factory.

Also a wonderful blueprint for any new gunsmith to see how to open a standard lenght action to accommodate a .375 H&H without taking to much meat away.

Love it! Thanks for posting.

For some years now I have owned a FN Browning .375 H&H that lived in Robert's camp in Kenya. It was given to him by a client in '63 and used as a loner for clients that didn't bring a heavy. A letter from Robert describes the amazing amount of game taken with it . It is a dramatic example of a rifle that withstood 10 years of use, but not abuse in Africa. View attachment 273579

Atrox, your post is really cool to me on many levels. There is so much character in your rifle. The blued barrel is the same color as the stainless action and bolt. My father had an FN made Browning that I believe was also manufactured in 1963. It was a 458.

The Bwana was from the southern highlands. An area where I once lived. A post here on AH encouraged me to call him again 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately his number had been disconnected. At his age that is not a comforting thought.

You have a beautiful, highly functional gem. Thanks for sharing it with us. Did you purchase it directly from him or someone else? How did you come into possession of it?

Thanks for sharing

She can "talk" a bit. Here is the letter that the broker received from Robert to go with the sale.
That letter is wicked cool.
And that rifle bears the hard earned wear of the trophies taken.
Perfect.

Atrox, your post is really cool to me on many levels. There is so much character in your rifle. The blued barrel is the same color as the stainless action and bolt. My father had an FN made Browning that I believe was also manufactured in 1963. It was a 458.

The Bwana was from the southern highlands. An area where I once lived. A post here on AH encouraged me to call him again 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately his number had been disconnected. At his age that is not a comforting thought.

You have a beautiful, highly functional gem. Thanks for sharing it with us. Did you purchase it directly from him or someone else? How did you come into possession of it?

I purchased at a Houston gun show from the John Thomas at the top of the letter. Thomas said that he had sold most all of Robert's guns, at that time her had no others. With a glimpse thru the crowd an old FN with honest bluing wear called me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rugermagnum

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,