RMR To Suit Merkel 140ae

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I have zero experience in the RMR world and I am struggling to find the info I'm looking for on here or anywhere online. My Merkel 140ae double came with a removable plate in the rib for mounting a red dot, having said that at closer inspection the removable plate is actually also a dovetail mount so I should be able to mount an RMR directly to it? Does anyone know what RMR will mount directly onto this? Pictures below, it's hard to see but I think most people will figure out what I am talking about?

1654330289464.jpeg

1654330340445.jpeg

I just measured the rib plate and its 14.75mm so I think this should work. And then the dot attaches to this mount? This is exactly what I was looking for, how come I couldn't find it :rolleyes:

I just measured the rib plate and its 14.75mm so I think this should work. And then the dot attaches to this mount? This is exactly what I was looking for, how come I couldn't find it :rolleyes:
Correct. It will come with 2 screws that attach the RMR to this mount. Screw it on and you are good to go. I have a Krieghoff 470 that uses the same set up. It also took me a while to stumble upon this mount when searching.

Correct. It will come with 2 screws that attach the RMR to this mount. Screw it on and you are good to go. I have a Krieghoff 470 that uses the same set up. It also took me a while to stumble upon this mount when searching.
Thanks mate, very much appreciate the help! (y) Have you got a photo of your Krieghoff with the red dot mounted?

Mounted a Dokter on my 500 over the Trijicon due to it sitting lower which offers quicker target accusition.
As soon as my season gives me a break I'm going to be sending my double to a gunsmith in order to create a new slot for it further forward, closer to the rear sights.
Currently my red dot sits in the allocated slot as you pictured.
Would like it positioned as in the photo below.
Please note, this is not my photo and not a buff hunted with me. Wish I could give credit. Merely a screenshot due to the positioning of the red dot.

Screenshot_2022-05-26-14-54-17-57_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Use that exact mount on my Krieghoff

Looks like there a few brands that do a rail mount, being in Australia I might be at the mercy of what is available rather than what I want. I'll let you know how I go.

My Merkel with the RMR sight and mount to give you some reference of the height that you will have. With my very limited experience with this gun so far, the height works pretty well for me.

PXL_20210926_031710995.jpg

My Merkel with the RMR sight and mount to give you some reference of the height that you will have. With my very limited experience with this gun so far, the height works pretty well for me.

View attachment 469733
Looks good, do you still get a good cheek weld, or do you feel you are having to lift your head?

For me it is pretty good. I don't feel like I am raising my head at all. I don't have the slimmest face though.

My Merkel came equipped with the European standard rotary Recknagel base for swing mounts. If yours has that, you could mount a reflex sight on the front base plate of your Merkel. In my opinion that's a better position than further back. I got the base for my Burris Fast Fire ( same as Docter and others) at Optics Trade EU in Slovenia. They ship around the world and have a very extensive list of options. The mount I have is low and works well, and is quick and precise when mounted and dismounted. https://www.optics-trade.eu/au/henneberger-hms-safe-mount-for-docter-sight.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 6.41.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 6.41.45 AM.png
    632.9 KB · Views: 91
I have zero experience in the RMR world and I am struggling to find the info I'm looking for on here or anywhere online. My Merkel 140ae double came with a removable plate in the rib for mounting a red dot, having said that at closer inspection the removable plate is actually also a dovetail mount so I should be able to mount an RMR directly to it? Does anyone know what RMR will mount directly onto this? Pictures below, it's hard to see but I think most people will figure out what I am talking about?

View attachment 469667
View attachment 469668
I have an off topic question. Your engraving looks different than my Merkel 500 NE made around 2010. Is yours laser engraving?
Now, back on topic, I definitely like the idea of pushing the red dot forward against the rear iron sight. I would also want it low enough to co-witness with the irons.

Have the same set up on my Merkel, I do wish the mount was a little lower and it seem to be in the way when carrying one handed by throwing the balance off but the RMR is a game changer on a double. I took mine to RSA for the first time last week and took Lioness and stopped a Buff charge

Have the same set up on my Merkel, I do wish the mount was a little lower and it seem to be in the way when carrying one handed by throwing the balance off but the RMR is a game changer on a double. I took mine to RSA for the first time last week and took Lioness and stopped a Buff charge
Hi @southern_fowler please write up this story, sounds exciting.

I have an off topic question. Your engraving looks different than my Merkel 500 NE made around 2010. Is yours laser engraving?
Now, back on topic, I definitely like the idea of pushing the red dot forward against the rear iron sight. I would also want it low enough to co-witness with the irons.
I think it probably is laser engraving.

Does the Krieghoff's plate have a dovetail like above? Or you did you have to do additional work to accommodate that mount?

Would a machined blank mount not provide a more secure mount, especially in the light of the amount of recoil a 470 generates?

I have a Krieghoff 470 in the "post" and a RMR waiting to be mounted once I receive it, hence all the questions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintingsolution

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you