Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

I read this whole thread with the intent of adding my two cents and I was absolutely certain I was going to cast a vote for the 275 Rigby. I've changed my mind. Everybody and their brother has a HS in 275 Rigby and owning one in 30-06 is just different enough it appeals to me. Besides, the '06 is a better all around caliber IMO. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a HS in 30-06. YMMV

9.3 as suggested above would be a fantastic all arounder
I'm with you, 9.3 would be a great caliber for a stalking rifle.
Although I'd have to go with a Kipplauf style rifle from Krieghoff or Blaser.
And make it 9.3x74R because these are single shot rifles.

Don't you have a 9.3x74R over/under double?

I'm with you, 9.3 would be a great caliber for a stalking rifle.
Although I'd have to go with a Kipplauf style rifle from Krieghoff or Blaser.
And make it 9.3x74R because these are single shot rifles.

Don't you have a 9.3x74R over/under double?

Have a new 9.3x74R O/U double rifle....two shots are better than one :)

You have other guns, so the .275 Rigby is a must and it will kill anything on the planet used properly..and has I might add..

So I am ready to purchase the rifle but wanted to run something by you all first. I have a stash of H4350, primers, and some 139 grain BTSP interlocks along with 160 grain A Frames. If a steady supply of reloading supplies were not accessible would you all still stick with 275 or choose the 30-06 due to the availability of factory ammunition? This current shortages has me thinking about the long term logistics of owning an heirloom rifle.

So I am ready to purchase the rifle but wanted to run something by you all first. I have a stash of H4350, primers, and some 139 grain BTSP interlocks along with 160 grain A Frames. If a steady supply of reloading supplies were not accessible would you all still stick with 275 or choose the 30-06 due to the availability of factory ammunition? This current shortages has me thinking about the long term logistics of owning an heirloom rifle.
Based on a quick check on Midway-USA, 30-06 ammo only showed two options in stock. Both were high dollar Swift loadings. There were three factory ammo choices for 7x57, plus one source (Norma) for 7x57 brass. None for 30-06 brass.

Based on a quick check on Midway-USA, 30-06 ammo only showed two options in stock. Both were high dollar Swift loadings. There were three factory ammo choices for 7x57, plus one source (Norma) for 7x57 brass. None for 30-06 brass.

That’s because the 275 isn’t overly popular compared to the 30-06. Long term, it’s hard to beat the 30-06 for ammo availability since every sporting good store carries it. This hoarding will pass and ammo will be available again.

It would be hard to beat the availability or selection of the 30-06 or 308 win for ammo, long term. Everyone has been hoarding ammo but that will pass in time and your selection options will be many compared to the 275.

I am looking to purchase a rifle as a retirement gift to myself and have settled on a Rigby Highland Stalker. I have been looking at Rigby rifles since I was a child and now have the opportunity to purchase one. I am trying to decide between the 275 Rigby and the 30-06.

Background:
I currently own both of those calibers in CZ 550s with AHR # 2 upgrades so I am not looking to fill a gap. The rifle would get most use in the US as a whitetail and elk rifle with Africa every other year or so. I do reload so not super concerned with the availability of 7x57 / 275 factory ammunition.

I am torn between the .275 been the classic Rigby caliber against the versatility and practicality of the 30-06. Any thoughts from the group?

I know I’m in the minority here, but unless you just want the nostalgia of the 275 I would pick the 30-06, but that’s purely from a practical standpoint. Someone mentioned the 300 H&H, now that I would take over the 30-06, practical or not. Good luck and you will have a fine rifle whichever one you choose.

I order from Graf and Sons every time something pops up I need. Absolutely 100% not looking to make this a political discussion. if the mail order ammunition business was interrupted I think that would makes things a bit tougher on less common calibers.

Hello roverandbrew,

IMO, the .30-06 is as others have already said, more practical.
And, it certainly would be my choice for N. American elk and moose, IF those two calibers were my only ones to choose from.
If (IF) I could afford a Rigby Stalker and again, I was choosing only between those two calibers, I’d want it in 7x57 caliber, due to the grand tradition of Rigby’s history.

Having said all that, I’d be tossing and turning in my sleep over whether or not to order my Rigby Mauser in .300 H&H.
But that’s just my odd wrinkle, nothing for the rest of the world to fuss over.

Envious,
Velo Dog.
Fully aware the Stalker is not chambered in H&H length cartridges.
But, they offer their other model/s of Mauser in .300 H&H / .375 H&H.
And again, if I could afford a Rigby Mauser, I’d toss and turn many nights over wether or not to order one in .3OO H&H, as I prefer that cartridge over any and all 7mm / .30 caliber cartridges combined.
However, I repeat myself that if I was ordering a totally wonderful, petit, slick little Highland Stalker, there is only one cartridge I would be happy with.
It is the .275 Rigby / 7x57 caliber.
Alas, my 7x57 is “only” a semi-custom rifle, based on a Venezuelan Modelo’98 Mauser, made by Anchorage Gunsmith, Andy Hawk.
It is cute as a button, Schnauble forend tip, iron sights only.
Someday, before the lions pull me down, I plan to have JJ Perodeau claw mount it and install a 4x Austro-German scope.
I love it dearly.
But sadly, it is no Rigby.
Buy the Stalker in .275 / 7x57 and don’t look back.

Last edited:
But...:)
9.3x62 brass and bullets are available and seem to be in good supply.
I know because I bumped my inventory up just yesterday.

Any caliber in that rifle would be fantastic. Get the one you want, figure the rest out later.

My vote would be for the 275 rigby also, if not that then the 9.3x62, it just seems to be right and proper, good luck with your choice, eithier way your getting a fantastic rifle.

Fully aware the Stalker is not chambered in H&H length cartridges.
But, they offer their other model/s of Mauser in .300 H&H / .375 H&H.
And again, if I could afford a Rigby Mauser, I’d toss and turn many nights over wether or not to order one in .3OO H&H, as I prefer that cartridge over any and all 7mm / .30 caliber cartridges combined.
However, I repeat myself that if I was ordering a totally wonderful, petit, slick little Highland Stalker, there is only one cartridge I would be happy with.
It is the .275 Rigby / 7x57 caliber.
Alas, my 7x57 is “only” a semi-custom rifle, based on a Venezuelan Modelo’98 Mauser, made by Anchorage Gunsmith, Andy Hawk.
It is cute as a button, Schnauble forend tip, iron sights only.
Someday, before the lions pull me down, I plan to have JJ Perodeau claw mount it and install a 4x Austro-German scope.
I love it dearly.
But sadly, it is no Rigby.
Buy the Stalker in .275 / 7x57 and don’t look back.

Unfortunately I don’t think that the Big Game is offered in .300 H&H forcing you to a London Best for this caliber. That’s a different ball game altogether.

But...:)
9.3x62 brass and bullets are available and seem to be in good supply.
I know because I bumped my inventory up just yesterday.

Any caliber in that rifle would be fantastic. Get the one you want, figure the rest out later.
+ 1 for the 9.3x62

Unfortunately I don’t think that the Big Game is offered in .300 H&H forcing you to a London Best for this caliber. That’s a different ball game altogether.
You and I definitely agree on that.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber