Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

Hello roverandbrew,

Looks great!!! Very nice your rifle. Congratulations. Love that sling!!! Both made to hunt.
What about the scope mounts...?

Best!

CF

@roverandbrew, here is a pic of how I have attached the sling on my highland stalker. Both els & co and trader Keith have pics on how these slings are intended to be tied on the stud. I tried them but prefer this method. It is more secure and imo cleaner.

IMG_1531.JPG

If it’s to be a highland stalker it simply must be a 275 rugby anything else would be sacrilege. But if I were choosing a caliber for your intended purpose the 30-06 is definitely more versatile. Just one mans opinion.

Hello roverandbrew,

Looks great!!! Very nice your rifle. Congratulations. Love that sling!!! Both made to hunt.
What about the scope mounts...?

Best!

CF
I ended up getting the Hexalock Scope Mounts. So far no issues. Mounted a Leupold VX3I.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.29.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.29.25 PM.png
    816.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.29.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.29.29 PM.png
    457.2 KB · Views: 222
Heres a bull taken the week end with 275 and 140 hydros. No recovered projectiles. First would have been enough but as he was still up right 2 more. to put him on the ground quickly.
SWLNyN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went 275. I appreciate all the insight.
The Rigby’s are very nice. I've been though a similar process……trying to decide on which chambering/ cartridge. I reckon that what should be a simple decision….suddenly becomes unnecessarily complicated when the rifle is a Rigby.
I ordered my Highland Stalker in 30/06. I’m very happy with the rifle and…..as to the cartridge? Well, the 30/06 is never a bad choice.
The only downside of owning a HS in 30/06 is that I’m constantly asked by others “ why didn’t I get a 275 Rigby?’ My response is generally a roll of the eyes.:rolleyes:
Anyway, you’re going to love your HS, even if it’s chambered for the Pommy 7x57.(y)

D6D2D44B-3F44-483A-856A-CDEFA3F63937.jpeg
DD2A6772-93C2-4AA2-9DF5-9B5DCBB7EF0B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The correct choice, well done. Some on this site migrate straight to power, power, power. Refreshing to see the choice of accuracy and finesse over brute force. The man said use enough gun, not too much gun.

Year late Congratulations on a beautiful Rigby. Being a believer in the melting pot and Americanization for immigrants, I would have chosen 30-06. For an example of a Rigby however, you made the correct choice.

I purchased a 275 Rigby for my Grandson recently. Rigby had made it for a gentleman in the early 90's. He will be taking it for one of his rifles on an upcoming safari and I'm looking at loading 140 & 160 TTSX for it. Does anyone have a good reloading recipe for it.

Would getting a 275RIGBY handcuff you when it comes to ammo?

I understand that the 7x57 is the same and available most anywhere.
What I mean is when traveling to a foreign country...ammo matching the firearm.
Some countries check headstamps of each and every cartridge.

I just checked Midway, only one 275RIGBY load and 10 available in 7x57.
I bought three boxes of 7x57 headstamped to practice in US with given I reload. I bought 3 boxes of 275 Rigby headstamped brass I only reload when I go to Africa to avoid any problems

I bought three boxes of 7x57 headstamped to practice in US with given I reload. I bought 3 boxes of 275 Rigby headstamped brass I only reload when I go to Africa to avoid any problems
Reason is yes 275 Rigby brass is hard to come by

Yes, the 275 Rigby head stamped ammo is hard to come by, but I was able to locate some on Gun Broker and CB is sending me some brass and ammo. I have waited a lot of years to take him and I wanted my Grandson to carry a firearm and caliber that has a lot of history for his first Safari. I was looking to see if anyone had a good load worked up for it.

Yes, the 275 Rigby head stamped ammo is hard to come by, but I was able to locate some on Gun Broker and CB is sending me some brass and ammo. I have waited a lot of years to take him and I wanted my Grandson to carry a firearm and caliber that has a lot of history for his first Safari. I was looking to see if anyone had a good load worked up for it.

I do, but with Swift bullets. You are looking for Barnes loads aren’t you?

WAB, Thank you for the reply. I had tried Swift Scirocco bullets back in 2014 when I went on my first Safari and could not get them to shoot out of my rifles. I have had a lot of success with the Barnes on everything from small Deer to extremely large animals and I have been able to get them to group really good in different rifles, so I guess I'm a little bias. I have not tried the Swift recently, maybe they have improved them. I have to say, they do have a good reputation.

275. with that said, if I had the $$ for one I am afraid it would be 300 H&H
Yea, double the dollars over the Highland Stalker which is not available in 300 H&H.

I don't understand why because its name the 275 Rigby must go to a Rigby (Mauser) rifle and a 30-06, because the same reason, to a G&H or Springfield...
Since almost their origins, the Sporting Mausers were chambered for the 30-06 and, since around 1924, also the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. The same with the 9,3x62. Of course, also the 7x57/.275 Rigby (Rigby, at WDM Bell and Jim Corbett times, named their rifles 7mm Mauser, not .275 Rigby...). By the way, the 7x57 was chambered, also from the early XX Century, in all the made in USA rifles!
So, as I see, any of these three cartridges matches a Rigby rifle perfectly!
And as a user of all, I would be happy with any of them. My choice would be dictacted mainly by the hunts proyected.

Best!

CF

:E No:...no soul....:E Shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg