Rifle Selection

Aleks

Reaction score
Hunted
Canada, USA
Hey guys, new here. Looking into a .375 h&h rifle, specifically Sako 85 kodiak. Thoughts on Sako? Any other rifles you'd recommend chambered for the same caliber? Thanks!

First off a big Welcome!
Don't know much about Sako but I'm sure they make a good rifle.
Being a M70 die hard you can probably guess my suggestion.
Best to handle as many different manufactured rifles as you can and see what feels right and go from there.
Great pick of caliber I might add

First off a big Welcome!
Don't know much about Sako but I'm sure they make a good rifle.
Being a M70 die hard you can probably guess my suggestion.
Best to handle as many different manufactured rifles as you can and see what feels right and go from there.
Great pick of caliber I might add
Thank you! I’ve heard some very good things about m70 wins but the only thing being difficult is that I need an all weather stock. I chose a 375 because I hunt in grizz country and need somethin with a little more stopping power than a 300 win mag in close quarters.

I have 3 375's, 1 is a syn/stainless for many AK bear hunts. It's the classic they produced several years back.

Consider the Kimber Talkeetna, bought one and it has been all I can ask.

Hey guys, new here. Looking into a .375 h&h rifle, specifically Sako 85 kodiak. Thoughts on Sako? Any other rifles you'd recommend chambered for the same caliber? Thanks!
Ruger’s Alaskan model in .375 Ruger are also awesome rifles, if you reload. The factory ammunition available is great for non dangerous game.
Many here have had very bad experiences with Hornady DGS and DGX bullets though. I just reload CEB and Barnes TSX and never had anything but stellar performance out of them.

I love Hornady non dangerous game bullets though.

Ruger’s Alaskan model in .375 Ruger are also awesome rifles, if you reload. The factory ammunition available is great for non dangerous game.
Many here have had very bad experiences with Hornady DGS and DGX bullets though. I just reload CEB and Barnes TSX and never had anything but stellar performance out of them.

I love Hornady non dangerous game bullets though.
Ruger makes pretty solid guns in my opinion. I have heard many bad things about Hornady DGS/DGX. I’ll definitley steer clear from those!

Ruger makes pretty solid guns in my opinion. I have heard many bad things about Hornady DGS/DGX. I’ll definitley steer clear from those!
If you reload, it is an amazing rifle. If you buy one in a plains game caliber, you can use hornady ammunition with confidence.

What are you thoughts on Montana rifles?
Have friends that love their Montana's. Depends on likes/wants and how much greenbacks you want to invest in a rifle.

Sako are a quality manufacturer of firearms.
They are very popular in the UK and Europe for good reason.
Dependable and reliable and manufactured to high standards.
I don't own one but I've used one and know plenty of people that are owners and noone has had anything but good things to say about them.
The 75 model was a better gun and the second hand market for these is good but the 85 is still a fine rifle.

My .375 is an old Sako LV. It is light but I’ve not had any feeding / ejection issues even though it isn’t controlled round feed. Initially it gave OK accuracy but glass bedding the recoil lug area improved the accuracy by about .2”.
Fit and finish is better than the average production rifle
and the action has always been pretty smooth. The trigger is pretty crisp. Bottom line.. I’d buy again.
If I were to buy another .375, it would be the Montana Rifle Co.

This!

I have a 375 H&H Ruger #1 and absolutely love it.

I have heard an watched YouTube videos of guys complaining about the Sako Kodiak ejected brass hitting the scope. This sometimes results in the brass falling back into the magazine area and jamming the bolt. The Sako doesn’t have a true control round feed like the Winchester model 70. I have a couple of Model 70 Winchesters and would highly recommended them. I also have a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H with control round feed and would recommend it as well.

I have a Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger that I've carried a bit in AK. It's hard to beat for the money. Worthwhile improvements are Alaska Arms QD rings and MPI stock.
As to ammo, it's hard to beat the versatility of Barnes TSX 270 grain bullets in either the H&H or Ruger. Doubletap loads that bullet for both cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg