AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
Hunted
Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia x3,
Please post your experience with darting your Rhino and who was the outfitter?

With the high cost of actually shooting a Rhino, ($45,000 is the cheapest I've seen) and Vita Darting the new wave of securing another of the Big 5, a client and I are giving the darting some consideration.

Even the darting has a fairly high cost to it. Something I will look into is sharing the cost of the darting with another person and each getting their picture taken.

Tam Safaris has had videos showing them doing the darting. Their website offers the darting for $8,500. Particulars are not listed.

Outfitters chime in here, I do not see Rhino Darting on any websites other then Tam's, would most outfitters jump at the chance to provide such a opportunity? Is Tam Safaris concession the only place to do darting or are others available?

Outfitters, PM me with your particulars if you can offer this opportunity. We do not have a time frame set at this time.

With the high cost of actually shooting a Rhino, ($45,000 is the cheapest I've seen) and Vita Darting the new wave of securing another of the Big 5, a client and I are giving the darting some consideration.

Even the darting has a fairly high cost to it. Something I will look into is sharing the cost of the darting with another person and each getting their picture taken.

Tam Safaris has had videos showing them doing the darting. Their website offers the darting for $8,500. Particulars are not listed.

Outfitters chime in here, I do not see Rhino Darting on any websites other then Tam's, would most outfitters jump at the chance to provide such a opportunity? Is Tam Safaris concession the only place to do darting or are others available?

Outfitters, PM me with your particulars if you can offer this opportunity. We do not have a time frame set at this time.
Hi no Tam safaris is not the only one there in more than him . It just depends on we're u get the best price I have friend ho has rhino to we dart . If u wood like more info on it please send me privet msg and I can help u .

Last edited by a moderator:
You used to be able to actually dart the rhino yourself and that was very attractive to me. Now they dart it and you just shoot a vitamin dart into him. So for me it has lost its luster and yes it's expensive still!
Best of luck,
Philip

@RogerHeintzman, it's offered at @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris. By the video footage I saw of one hunt that was done this past October, it can get pretty exciting! I'm not sure what the cost is, but will find out and let you know.

I did it and even with though it is a Vita dart it is pretty exciting. I did mine through Tam. Basically, you get the experience of putting the stalk on the Rhino, we got to about 12 yards. And when I peeked around the bush the Rhino was staring dead on at me. I would have swore the thing was the size of a bus!

You still have to hit it in the shoulder or the rump and you have to hit it square or the needle bounces off. Once you hit it, their is a Vet in a helicopter and he comes in to hit it with the tranquilizer. Mean while you are chasing the helicopter in the truck. You can't let the Rhino fall on its own because it could hurt itself, so you have to help it go down. The whole time you are getting pictures the thing sounds like a freight train. It all happens pretty quick and you have to get your pictures quick as time is important.

You can PM me if you want. I think I have a more detailed write up and maybe some videos.

Overall, I would do it again! It is a cool experience, where you get to dance with a Rhino. Some of my coolest memories come from my dart experience. I feel like sneaking up and getting pictures would have been very unsatisfying compared to this experience. I actually hope to do it again someday with my wife.

It is also one that shuts up an anti up instantly. "Yeah I went to Africa to help get DNA samples and blood work on Rhinos".

The Tam's definitely run a good operation. They are easy to do business with and very professional.

Just as an FYI : There are Rhino hunts available now in the low $ 30 thousands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tburke280

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you