Review- Ruger Guide Gun Chambered In 30-06

How come you had the threads cut off and not just use the thread cap? I like the look of the stock, what sort of bedding does it have?
I bought the rifle used. The cut and crown was already done when I bought it. The rifle appeared to have been used very little. And judging by the lack of scratches or dings, hunted with extremely little or none at all. It had the factory laminated stock on it when I purchased it.

The stock has the full length aluminum bedding block. I will still have it bedded before I shoot it. I have 3ea M70 Classics to be bedded in the same type of stocks also.

Currently looking for my 30-06 reloading dies. If I still have them. I have not shot a 30-06 in 30 years. Though have always kept one around.

Edit to add:
Without the threads it looks like a brother to my older 375 and 416 Alaskans. Though they are in different type of stocks.

This is the rifle I would get for Alaska hunting, but maybe in 338 Win Mag or 375 Ruger...or 416...
I am a big fan of this rifle in 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger.
I don’t feel disadvantaged by the shorter barrels as to velocity loss. The area that I normally hunt is vision limited to absolute maximum of about 225 yards. That is from elevation looking through gaps in alders and black spruce.
I find the stainless a big plus in the normally wet moose hunting season. The shorter barrels are also I plus for me. Though 20” is as short as I would go if building one.
This rifle in the 30-06 is certainly no lightweight as Aussie_Hunter mentioned. It has the same barrel contour as my older Alaskan model 375 Ruger. I think my 416 Ruger version is a more straighter taper so a touch fatter forward of the forend.

I am like Aussie_Hunter regarding the weight of this 30-06. I am liking it. I guess the familiar feel to 9 pound and a few ounce scoped rifles.
I am undecided of what scope is going on this 30-06. But, leaning heavily towards a 30mm tube, Kahles 1.1-4x24 that I have used on bigger bores. If I frequented more open areas, I think I would go with a 1.5-6x42.

I am a big fan of this rifle in 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger.
I don’t feel disadvantaged by the shorter barrels as to velocity loss. The area that I normally hunt is vision limited to absolute maximum of about 225 yards. That is from elevation looking through gaps in alders and black spruce.
I find the stainless a big plus in the normally wet moose hunting season. The shorter barrels are also I plus for me. Though 20” is as short as I would go if building one.
This rifle in the 30-06 is certainly no lightweight as Aussie_Hunter mentioned. It has the same barrel contour as my older Alaskan model 375 Ruger. I think my 416 Ruger version is a more straighter taper so a touch fatter forward of the forend.

I am like Aussie_Hunter regarding the weight of this 30-06. I am liking it. I guess the familiar feel to 9 pound and a few ounce scoped rifles.
I am undecided of what scope is going on this 30-06. But, leaning heavily towards a 30mm tube, Kahles 1.1-4x24 that I have used on bigger bores. If I frequented more open areas, I think I would go with a 1.5-6x42.
I think the 375 Ruger and 416 were designed for shooting from a shorter barrel.

Not to pollute Aussie_Hunter’s original outstanding review of the 30-06 Guide Gun.
But, yes that was one of the marketing angles, shorter barrel performance. And does have some merit, as demonstrated in Viral_SIGness’s comparison with 375 Ruger 20” and 23”.
But, a Bigger but; the old 375 H&H also does quite well in shorter barrel form. I have had them in 20-21-22-24” lengths. My 416 Remington M70’s are 22” & 24”. I prefer the 22” on 375 H&H and 416 Remington.
I am and have been for a longtime a 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger cartridge fan. I still own 375 H&Hs and 416 Remingtons. I use the Rugers, mostly because of the 30-06 length actions and 338 Winchester sized factory stainless rifles.

As with the 30-06 Guide Gun, for me it mostly a preference for the 30-06 length action (and shorter actions) and The Rifle itself. The Guide Guns and similar older models without the brakes are very easily handling and tough rifles. I maybe a minority because I like Ruger stainless rifles.

@ldmay375 - Nice woobie. Rifle is pretty slick too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg