Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
Years ago I booked a leopard hunt and the permits didn't come through...so I switched countries and species to a tuskless hunt. No regrets! Now I want to come back and finish what I started years ago. I'm looking at the different options (dogs or baiting) in different countries. Dogs in Mozambique looks pretty interesting so it's a possibility. I'm looking ahead 1-2 years for booking.

I'm looking for options and feedback from those who have hunted Spots. This will likely be my only time to focus on leopard if successful. I don't mind the idea of playing the chess game of picking the right tree, blind setups, straining your senses, etc but I'm also interested in the tracking and chase with dogs option. Two very different hunts with pros and cons for each style. I will also be at DSC talking to outfitters and PHs. It would be nice to get a short list of guys to meet at DSC.

Thoughts?

I would look into Nick Nolte hunting safaris in Namibia. I've been told that Nick is one of the best Leopard men in the business. I've successfully hunted leopard with him and was impressed with his skill and knowledge and they have a pretty high success rate on leopard. His wife is normally "manning" their booth at DSC. On top of that they are splendid people to be around. Best of luck and please feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Years ago I booked a leopard hunt and the permits didn't come through...so I switched countries and species to a tuskless hunt. No regrets! Now I want to come back and finish what I started years ago. I'm looking at the different options (dogs or baiting) in different countries. Dogs in Mozambique looks pretty interesting so it's a possibility. I'm looking ahead 1-2 years for booking.

I'm looking for options and feedback from those who have hunted Spots. This will likely be my only time to focus on leopard if successful. I don't mind the idea of playing the chess game of picking the right tree, blind setups, straining your senses, etc but I'm also interested in the tracking and chase with dogs option. Two very different hunts with pros and cons for each style. I will also be at DSC talking to outfitters and PHs. It would be nice to get a short list of guys to meet at DSC.

Thoughts?

Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS can help you with a leopard hunt in Zimbabwe on bait or using dogs. He can also books leopard in Namibia which is a baited hunt.

We will have a booth at DSC and would be happy to discuss a hunt with you.

Nathan Askew at Bullet Safaris has great successes at hunting leopards. I very much enjoyed my leopard hunt with Nathan.

Read @CAustin report and then do what he did.

Not trying to high jack the thread but how does Cites work for leopard? To get it back into the states are there companies that specialize in working with your outfitter to get all paperwork for getting the leopard back into the US?

Most important considerations:

1) Location
2) Location
3) Tie for Location and PH and timing

People kill leopards all over the place. There are far far less that have a 85% or more success rate. There are even less that kill big leopards at a 85% or more success rate. Dog hunts are super cool, but limit your location and PH options significantly. I'd certainly use dogs in locations with big leopards, but with lower densities. BUT ... those dog hunts may catch up in costs with the really prime non-dog areas due to the increased costs in hiring the dogs/handler and associated expenses. I believe a traditional bait hunt in a high density leopard area with a top flight cat PH (and potentially the bonus of being able to hunt at night) is better than a dog hunt in a much lower density area. But of course there are some very expensive options for awesome dog hunts on high density areas as well (Nuanetsi in Zim comes to mind historically) - hard to screw that up opportunity wise.

Some of the highest densities for good sized (not the biggest possible) are found Zambia's Luangwa Valley, and there are quite a few very good outfitters there. Some of the best almost always get their cats (greater than 90%). Zimbabwe offers some excellent options in areas like the Save Valley, Bubye Valley, Nuanetsi, and lots of other less well known areas - and opportunities from some bigger sized cats. Rob Lurie and Theirry Labat have really good track records and areas. I think Zim exports far more leopards than any other country every year.

I've never hunted Mozambique, but I understand there are high densities in some locations, and you can hunt them with dogs in some locations. I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard the leopards generally tend to be smaller.

Not trying to high jack the thread but how does Cites work for leopard? To get it back into the states are there companies that specialize in working with your outfitter to get all paperwork for getting the leopard back into the US?
Yes, I believe Safari Specialty Importers can help you with this. And I also think getting the process started before the hunt will help with reducing time from leopard down to back up on your wall.

Great replies from everyone. Appreciated! Keep it coming.

I'm big on research and look forward to conversations between now and DSC. Happy to make appointments during DSC also to meet with any operators/outfitters/guides.

Good points on dogs vs bait. One of the things I've been pondering is size vs age. Who doesn't love a big cat but it's nice to take older cats and that's important to me (if possible). Big cats are cool but taking the old man off the field is even better.

I can also vouch for Jacques Spamer @JKO SAFARIS as I was successful on leopard with him in Namibia in 2020. If you’d like more info, don’t hesitate to PM me

What degree of wilderness do you want for your hunt? If I was going to book a leopard hunt for myself I’d look into Jamy Traut safaris Kaokoland concessions in Namibia. It has been most wild and huge area I’ve had opportunity to hunt and had a huge amount of leopard sign at every water source. This would be a daylight only hunt and baited, but high success. CMS in Zimbabwe has very high success on baited leopard hunts and do a lot to improve their areas. I had a great hunt with them last year for buffalo/sable/roan and wouldn’t hesitate to book a leopard hunt with them as well. I would however generally avoid the ranch land hunts in Namibia. The leopard are too educated, almost guaranteed to only be a nighttime opportunity, and success isn’t all that high with most outfitters. I’d rather put more money into a high success hunt. Hunting with dogs I find very interesting but seems opportunities are somewhat limited. I think private land only in Zimbabwe and I don’t know the rules in Mozambique.

Last edited:
That's another vote for Jamy. Good to know.

Part of me would love to see another country. I did hunt with CMS in Zimbabwe and took tuskless with Alan guiding me. I visit with Buzz, Myles and Alan every year at DSC. Fantastic guys.

Dogs are legal in Moz. I was just listening to a podcast about it with PH Gavin Lipjes at Panther Trackers.

I hunted my leopard in Namibia this past July. I did not apply for my Cites permit until I returned (this was my third attempt at a leopard so was waiting to see if I was successful). The permits are online and I had some help from some folks on here but filled it out myself. Had the import permit in hand in 28 days from when I first submitted it. Now just waiting on Namibia to issue the export permit. Good luck on planning the trip.

Dear Green Chile

Hope all is well. We can offer you a leopard safari in Tanzania or Botswana.
We will be attending the DSC show booth 2907. We have a very good success rate
in both countries.
Good luck in planning your trip.
Kind regards
Magdel Oosthuizen

I'd recommend CMS in Zimbabwe. One of the largest and oldest in the area ever hunted (9 y/o). They do seem to fill their quota every year. No problem with the permit. It is on the way here now.

full

Thoughts?
I can not recommend the hound hunt. As much as I love hound hunting the leopard hunt is just too dangerous in my experience (see my report).
I am going to hunt a leopard the civilized way next year with Dalton & York in Zimbabwe! I truly can not wait to get back to the Omay.

Craig
It is a slow process but fairly easy. You will apply for your own cites import permit when you return but everything else will be handled between your importer (Trophy Shippers for instance) and the taxidermist/exporter in Africa. The main point with importing is to be patient amd not worry.
Philip

I'd recommend CMS in Zimbabwe. One of the largest and oldest in the area ever hunted (9 y/o). They do seem to fill their quota every year. No problem with the permit. It is on the way here now.

full
Which PH did you hunt with and which area? I look forward to seeing CMS at DSC again.

PM's sent to the responding outfitters here and also some individuals offering more info. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!