REPORT: Disappointed with Taxidermy by Wild Africa Taxidermy

I was fully prepared to have my trophies shipped home to be done here by a local taxidermist, and was then told by the taxidermist that "dip/pack" was not guaranteed, because too much was "out of their control" after it was shipped.

Hmmm...........................?

I guess I'll find out in 6-8months whether or not I've made a wise decision (to have my taxidermy work done in S.A.) or not.
I give high marks to KMG and Marius for trying to prevent issues like this from happening, but I guess my question is this: What if he (Marius) feels that it is up to standard, and the client does not? There are some people out there who cannot be satisfied (and I'm not trying to say that the O.P. is this type of person; I'm just using this as an example)....they want to see the mount respire before they consider it "adequate". If he feels that the taxidermy work and the client disagrees, will it become his fault for trying to do the right thing and inspecting it prior to shipping it? Will he get a bad rap because of guilt by association? Will his reputation take a hit because of someone else's failings? Just what are a P.H.'s/outfitters responsibilities in this process if they recommend a taxidermist and they fail to deliver as promised?
I can't see as to where "dip and pack" is THE answer; I've seen photos posted here in the past that show what can happen to trophies if they are not dip/packed correctly.........those memories are ruined as well.
So if one is not a taxidermist, it appears that getting African mounts done is pretty much a crap shoot................

I guess it is a crap shoot any way you look at it!

Marius has taken a additional step in checking his clients taxidermy work that is being performed in Africa. Who else is doing this additional work for their customers.

Taxidermy work is just as important as the hunt itself if not more.
I always make sure that we have a three way conversation on all my clients work. I use Field and Stream taxidermy in Louis Trichardt. Tony has been in the Taxidermy industry since I can remember.
All my clients trophies are checked and corresponding pictures are sent while trophies are in process.

This is one of the big problems with hunting in Africa......
The outfitter makes you feel like family, the PH make you feel like you're Ivan Carter and then your trophies go to someone with a Honey badger mentality.......
You as the hunter have a choice on a dip and packer.....
The only reason the outfitter uses their dip and packer because they typically get a commission.....
If you have a taxidermist in the states he can find a cape and make it right,
as far as the Euro mounts they can be fixed also.
I hear this time and time again....... so where is the savings ?
This is why we take control of the whole process.
So, go and feel like family, hunt like Ivan Carter and leave the rest to us.....
Sorry sincitynut but you're lucky .....all can be fixed.

After enjoying a wonderful hunt with Marius Goosen and KMG Safari's in 2012, my hunting partner Bruce and I FINALLY got our trophies back today! YES TODAY!!!! Almost 20 months later. After unloading the crate at
Bruce's house, I brought my trophies home to take the final wrapping off in anticipation of seeing my beautiful trophies, boy was I ever DISAPPOINTED!!!!!
I had 2 European mounts done, my Blesbok and an Impala, and 1 shoulder mount done which was my Springbok.

Our taxidermy work was done by Wild Africa Taxidermy and I will NEVER use them again!!!! My shoulder mount looked as if a 6 year old had done the stitching up the back of the neck and across the shoulder, I was absolutely horrified. The European mount for my Impala, had a yellow tint on both sides of the nose almost like a dark patch about 2"x 3 or 4" in size. I will upload pictures tomorrow so everyone can see what I mean. This has really put a damper on my wanting to go back to Africa. I loved hunting with KMG and they did a wonderful job, but the taxidermy and shipping leave ALOT to be desired.

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I had a similar experience with Wild Africa around the same time frame.. At the conclusion of my 2013 hunt with Starr and Bodill, Karl (the owner of Wild Africa) met with us and used some pressure sales tactics to convince us to have the work done there vs. dip and pack. I ended up ordering shoulder mounts on my Warthog/Wildebeest/Springbok/Impala as well as ordering the back skin of the Warthog stretched and ordering that a picture of the warthog be painted on the skin.

Fast forward to June 2014. I get my crate, and when I opened is, I was appalled. All the trophies had drips of a white, gluey substance on them that had to be cleaned off, the hair of the springbok and impala were matted down as if sprayed with glue, the stitching on all the necks looked like a horror movie, and the mouth on my warthog was cracked open. The worst part (or so I thought) was the painting I had ordered. When I opened it, my heart sank. Instead of the warthog picture I had ordered, I got a painting of the big 5.. Which is cool and all, if I ever hoped to hunt the bug 5 in my lifetime. The absolute worst was when I started looking at pictures taken during the hunt and comparing them to my taxidermy. I noticed that the ear on the warthog trophy I received had part of its ear missing and the one I shot had its ear intact. Not my warthog.

After months of emailing back and forth between Karl and Starr and Bodill trying to have them make it right, I finally dropped it because of the heartache it was causing me. The one agreement Karl was willing to make was having the warthog painting redone on another back skin and sending it with a shipment to starr and bodill so they could send it to me. Never happened.

I'm sorry to see that I'm not the only one who has experienced this at the hands of Karl Human.

I got scammed by Carl Human on a dip and pack and I think the outfitter was in on too as they both lied about outrageous permit fees in the EC.

I got scammed by Carl Human on a dip and pack and I think the outfitter was in on too as they both lied about outrageous permit fees in the EC.

Seems like he's digging a hole for himself. I certainly would not recommend them to any of my hunters.

I have hunted in Namibia twice (never in RSA) and before I went on my first hunt the guide told me to not even think about using any of the local taxidermy. The hunting prices included dip and pack and I had it shipped direct to my taxidermist here in Germany (American temp. living here) Every time I am in my taxidermist shop he is fixing some clients taxidermy, usually from Africa that was done locally. Good taxidermy costs $$ and it is not the time to go cheap after dropping hard earned cash on the hunt of a lifetime.....

Mark, who do you use for taxidermy in Germany? I have a couple trophies that could use some tlc

His name is Patrick and he is in the Stuttgart area. Send me a message and I will send you his info.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have also used the afore-mentioned BullsEye Taxidermy and was thrilled by their work. I presently have 6 shoulder mounts and my Zebra flatskin at their place.

I just got an email from KMG and they are going to look into this for me. As I stated earlier, my time with
KMG Safari's was absolutely wonderful!!! Marius and his crew are very hard working and a true joy to hunt with.
The memories I have in pictures and on video make this disappointment a lot easier to deal with.
I know that you can have the european mounts gone over and lightened up. You can also have either the mount redone by a US taxidermist who will either reuse the cape or they can buy one for you. Springbok would be no problem to get. PM me if you want my taxidermist who does top notch work.

Hi Frank,

Marius is out on Safari at the moment. I have informed him of the poor service you have received from Wild Africa. He has informed me that he will take it up with them and that you should expect correspondence from them soon. We have recently taken it upon ourselves to inspect every single crate of our guests to ensure that every single crate is of satisfactory standard, no matter which taxidermy they decide to use.

We can assure you of our full support in dealing with this matter.

Best Regards Kim
THIS is the type of AFTER HUNT back up service that I am used to in my dealings!! Well done to Marius and team on this one....

Everything can be fixed, but the hunter now has to pay more to have his mounts fixed, which shouldn't be the case. The hunter paid good money to have his mounts professionally done. The taxidermist should provide a new cape (free of charge), and refund the charges for the pi$$ poor job they did. But that will never happen.

I had the same issue with my impala, and other animals, and Highveld Taxidermist (Which I would never use or recommend anyone using) fix was for me to ship my impala back to Africa (on my dime and for a round trip) so they can fix their pi$$ poor job, and for me to pay. This is not the greatest picture, but you can see the terrible stitching.

Lopez 8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Karlhuman@telkomsa.net

Karl Human of Wildlife Africa Taxidermy

Man oh man could I lay out a story to you all

He was a silent business partner of the African outfitter I hunted with in 2014

After our airport pickup in East London our African outfitter was in route with our hunting party to our hunting destination giving us all a very nice tour of the area when he pulled into a gated area with several buildings.

We were told that this is a local taxidermist and it would be good to see how some of the game we were about to hunt is mounted

We were greeted by Karl and offered beer, wine or refreshments. The typical walk and talk of how a business is shown off presumed. It was a horrible mess and the taxidermy looked like it was literally the lowest quality that I had ever seen in my life.

We parted and headed to our hunt and had a great time.

Months later we find out Wild Africa Taxidermy Karl Human was our dip and pack provider.

My bill for capes and horns of 10 animals was $2400

The shipper was also a partner of Wild Africa Taxidermy Karl Human.......Francois Benson

The shipper tells me an additional $1375 is required to ship and if I don't finalize my bill within 2 weeks I will start to receive a storage fee per each 30 days

I later found out that my African Outfitter was in the take in this entire deal and received $50 for every piece he ran through the Karl Humans Taxidermy

I tell anyone who will listen.....do not use Karl Human Taxidermy or Wild Africa Taxidermy and if your African Outfitter insist you do so he is more than likely not out for your best interest

Sadly , you have a great hunt in Africa, A wonderful safari....THEN you have to deal with dip pack / taxidermist that NEVER have there prices on their websites...No info as to the charges for documentations and paperwork, then crating . The cost of dip pack the skull and cape and they the back skins. OR you deal with taixdermy that you thought looked good in the few second you had to look at it hanging on the wall in a studio from 5 to 10 feet away as someone was talking to you..., You HAVE no idea WHO will be mounting your trophies...I do them all in my studio...then No options for shipping, you have to use their shipper , No three quotes to decide , then just a bill that comes over an email months later....Sadly you feel like this...........
tibet_sky_burial3_zps2p8kccww.jpg

..DON'T deal with it...Contact me as to where you are going I'll get you a dip pack to work with and you WILL know
the fees before you leave Africa , ALL THE FEES ! and if your PH won't drop the trophies at that company. I can arrange PICK UP ! Don't ever feel like this....

I also got screwed by Karl Human and I suspected that my outfitter was in on it!

There are some great taxidermists in SA, but I always advise clients to dip and ship. @KMG Hunting Safaris , well done on doing the best for your clients, gentlemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross