Remington 700 Dangerous game build?

It seems like you are going to put a lot of effort and money into a rifle that will have low resale value and appeal. Why not put your efforts into a build that will result in a more valuable end product?

Good night. Everyone has an opinion here. So I’ll stoke the fire.

I grew up shooting 700s from the time I started hunting. When I decided to go to Africa I thought I needed a crf. I tried a cz and a win. Liked to cz better but neither felt right. So I stuck with a 700 now I have 1 375 H&H, 3 375 RUMs 2 416 Rigbys, a 458 Win. I haven’t shot yet, and building a 9.3x62. I load the Rugbys to Weatherby pressure so they take a beating. I would guess I have 3500-4000 rounds though them together. Never a stuck case, never a jam, never any issue that wasn’t 100% my fault.

I don’t have the experience of many here but have shot everything from rabbits to elephant.

I would never venture to say a 700 is better then a crf. Or even say it is as good as a DG. Rifle but I also would chose one of my 700s over my cz 100 out of 100 times to face a charging buff of lion.

If that is what you are comfortable with don’t be afraid to go that route.

Don't do it on the Rem 700 action, it has more than one problem in the DG field !

The 416 Rem is a fine cartridge if you like .40's for DG & is cheap to run .

I don't think you will find a DG PH using a Standard Rem action unless he is a learner or it is a spare from lack of availability/funds ?

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me, but I seem to remember many satisfied customers who went after most definitely dangerous game, in most definitely dangerous circumstances, from the jungle to the sand box, with the Rem 700 shooting from commercial .308 to way above SAAMI pressure .300 Win Mag (Black Hills 220 gr Mk 248 Mod1) ;)

1642813369554.png

Internet pic, Chuck Mawhinney and his M40 in Vietnam

1642811746434.png

Internet pic, M40 in Iraq, United States Department of Defense imagery database.

1642812722415.png

Internet pic, MK 13 in Afghanistan, United States Department of Defense imagery database.

Does the Rem 700 defy the sacrosanct credo of CRF and external claw extractor? Heck yes!

Does this make it a garbage gun? Heck no! You gotta be kidding, right?

Hah, but the extractor!!!! Well, I do not know how many folks who pontificate about it have had brass stuck in a Rem 700 action, but I have ... a dozen times, on a .300 Win Mag Remington Defense / Accuracy International Mk 13 Marine Corps sniper rifle civilian clone. Somehow the Black Hills .300 Win Mag 190 gr HPBT Match ammo (civilian clone of the M 248 Mod 0 load) stuck in my rifle and it took a rubber mallet to open the bolt ... a dozen times, until I was absolutely certain that this was a systemic issue, and, guess what, every time the Rem 700 maligned extractor pulled the stuck case out of the chamber! I could not get it out with my bare hands on the bolt - I needed the mallet - but the extractor sure could get it out...

MK 13 civilian clone.JPG

My own Rem 700 Mk 13 civilian clone

PS: admittedly, liability lawyers and lean manufacturing cost-cutters have destroyed what used to be a great trigger on the Rem 700, so just like I replaced the set trigger on my CZ 550s I replaced the Rem trigger on my 700, but do not fool yourself, the Rem 700 will do the job in Africa (even though it is not what I personally use there).

Last edited:
My point wasn’t the quality of the 700 action (although I am not a fan). My point was that a custom DG rifle on a 700 action will be less desirable and valuable in the market than a build on a ‘98 or M70 action. You can argue til the cows come home on the merits of the 700, but that won’t change the market value a dime.

I am not disagreeing WAB, and I did not write my post in answer to yours, but I do not think that adkennedy03's question was about the potential financial return of his project. I too would not do a Rem 700 action project rifle for DG, because it does not resonate emotionally with me, but in objective truth, if this is what floats his boat, it will work just as well as about any other action :)

I have a Rem 700XCR in 375H&H that I used on a buffalo hunt. I found the rifle to be a little long and awkward to carry through tall grass and I swear it recoils almost as much as my 416. I would probably go in another direction if I had it to do again.

Find and buy a good M-70, CZ 550 or 602. If you are going to make mods or keep it original you will be happy. If you build the Remington to a DG caliber you still will not have a DG rifle and then when you try to sell it, good luck!

i have had 2 extractor problems with rifles, both remington's.

first, a 416 rem 700 BDL. the extractor, a small clip, wore down and would not grip the fired cases when trying to eject them, had it replaced and was going to sell but it was stolen (before my gun safe days)

second, a rem 700 ADL in 7mm mag. the ejector button got corroded and stuck in the bolt face and would not eject cases when the bolt was cycled.

my ruger rifles have a mauser style physical blade that kicks out the cases. idiot proof (i qualify). for these reasons i would not use a remington as a DG rifle. they will work...until they don't.

as i have asked my friends: who wants a rifle that works..... sometimes? the answer is: NOBODY!! so in my never to be humble opinion, for a DG build, use a CRF action or a Blaser R8.

I don’t mean to derail the OPs thread, but what factory CRF action rifles would have been available post ‘63 to the average AMERICAN hunter planning a DG hunt in Africa? FN Browning, then later the Ruger or maybe Zastava whenever they started to be imported here? I’m guessing most hunters here didn’t have a custom M98 built in a DG cartridge, so am just wondering what options were available to them other than a factory built push feed actioned rifle in the ‘60s and ‘70s?

If I recall correctly, the 700 Remington and its predecessors were designed by famed bench rest competitor Mike Walker with the idea of providing maximum accuracy with minimum expense. One of the cost cutting features was a bolt handle attached to the bolt body by brazing. I have personally experienced a Remington 700 bolt handle coming loose from the bolt body as a result of cycling the action on an empty chamber, not something I would care to experience in the heat of an encounter with dangerous game. The trigger, also designed by Walker, has cost Remington a great deal of money settling lawsuits based on its propensity to fire the rifle when the safety is disengaged.

My first "African battery" consisted of three identical rifles in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum, .375/.338 (.375 Chatfield-Taylor) and .458 Winchester Magnum, all built on high number Springfield actions. They never made it to Africa, but I am satisfied they would have done the job, if called upon to do so.

If I recall correctly, the 700 Remington and its predecessors were designed by famed bench rest competitor Mike Walker with the idea of providing maximum accuracy with minimum expense. One of the cost cutting features was a bolt handle attached to the bolt body by brazing. I have personally experienced a Remington 700 bolt handle coming loose from the bolt body as a result of cycling the action on an empty chamber, not something I would care to experience in the heat of an encounter with dangerous game. The trigger, also designed by Walker, has cost Remington a great deal of money settling lawsuits based on its propensity to fire the rifle when the safety is disengaged.

My first "African battery" consisted of three identical rifles in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum, .375/.338 (.375 Chatfield-Taylor) and .458 Winchester Magnum, all built on high number Springfield actions. They never made it to Africa, but I am satisfied they would have done the job, if called upon to do so.
As a side note, Walker told the Remington brass he could “fix” the trigger sear issue from his original design for 2 cents per trigger group. Remington declined and the resulting decision is history.

Maybe it is just me, but I seem to remember many satisfied customers who went after most definitely dangerous game, in most definitely dangerous circumstances, from the jungle to the sand box, with the Rem 700 shooting from commercial .308 to way above SAAMI pressure .300 Win Mag (Black Hills 220 gr Mk 248 Mod1) ;)

View attachment 448145
Internet pic, Chuck Mawhinney and his M40 in Vietnam

View attachment 448129
Internet pic, M40 in Iraq, United States Department of Defense imagery database.

View attachment 448144
Internet pic, MK 13 in Afghanistan, United States Department of Defense imagery database.

Does the Rem 700 defy the sacrosanct credo of CRF and external claw extractor? Heck yes!

Does this make it a garbage gun? Heck no! You gotta be kidding, right?

Hah, but the extractor!!!! Well, I do not know how many folks who pontificate about it have had brass stuck in a Rem 700 action, but I have ... a dozen times, on a .300 Win Mag Remington Defense / Accuracy International Mk 13 Marine Corps sniper rifle civilian clone. Somehow the Black Hills .300 Win Mag 190 gr HPBT Match ammo (civilian clone of the M 248 Mod 0 load) stuck in my rifle and it took a rubber mallet to open the bolt ... a dozen times, until I was absolutely certain that this was a systemic issue, and, guess what, every time the Rem 700 maligned extractor pulled the stuck case out of the chamber! I could not get it out with my bare hands on the bolt - I needed the mallet - but the extractor sure could get it out...

View attachment 448151
My own Rem 700 Mk 13 civilian clone

PS: admittedly, liability lawyers and lean manufacturing cost-cutters have destroyed what used to be a great trigger on the Rem 700, so just like I replaced the set trigger on my CZ 550s I replaced the Rem trigger on my 700, but do not fool yourself, the Rem 700 will do the job in Africa (even though it is not what I personally use there).
Comparing any of the versions of the R700 placed in the hands of US armed forces to a build done at a gunsmith isn't even close...and you know it. Just the selection process of choosing the absolute best actions and barrels would set it apart from an off the shelf build. Not to mention having them hand tuned, properly bedded in a stock that is custom fit to the shooter...etc, etc, etc.

Your MK 13 certainly will hold its value and is a great shooter, but CHOOSING to build a DG gun on this action is not the best idea IMO. Finding a R700 in 375H&H (proven reliable and accurate) for a good price and using it for a DG hunt is another story. I believe it would be a good value. In the end, I'm with @WAB on this one, there are better ways to spend your money.

That said, it's the OP's money and if he wants to do it there is little stopping him.

It would not be my first choice but reality is there are very few documented failures in the field. As a big game hunter it is easy to hate the push feed. If you want however a relatively inexpensive semi custom push feed with absolute reliability, check out the HS Precision PH series before you do anything. Enclosed "sako style" extractor, center feed lipped drop box mag. I just ordered one in 416 Rem at SHOT show. It would be a rifle you could leave sit out in the rain and would be impervious to the elements. There is a reason why every elite military group around the world uses them. And they are super accurate cut rifled barrels made in house.

Friend of mine guided brown bear for years with a Remington 700LH Custom Shop .375. Thats all there was at the time somewhat affordable for a lefty working man. A current bear guide/outfitter here in SE Alaska uses a rusty push feed post ‘64 model 70 in .458. A picture of that model is in the dictionary next to the word junk.

I think the weak spots are the bolt clearance and trigger. The PRS guys like Triggertech. I guess they work well in the muck, some of the other aftermarket’s do not. If the bolt clearance is too tight (accuracy snobs run them really close), the elements will bind them every time.

Like others have said, I wouldn’t do it, but there are similar rigs around that get the job done.

A current bear guide/outfitter here in SE Alaska uses a rusty push feed post ‘64 model 70 in .458. A picture of that model is in the dictionary next to the word junk.
Actually with decent ammo that is a very good, reliable brown bear back up gun. Those have the superior, old reliable Win 70 trigger and the Win 70 push feed extractor is far superior to any Rem 700 "nub-on-a-cheesy-ring" extractor. Poor for that job would be a Rem 700 with boxed trigger full of years of accumulated junk or frozen in low temps and a balky or broken nub extractor. :)

I have a Rem 700XCR in 375H&H that I used on a buffalo hunt. I found the rifle to be a little long and awkward to carry through tall grass and I swear it recoils almost as much as my 416. I would probably go in another direction if I had it to do again.
All that said I have never had any issues with it feeding or extracting and think the CRF argument is completely ridiculous. You aren't going into combat. The chances of a no kidding buffalo charge are probably extremely small and you have a PH with a sizable rifle to back you up. A lot of folks will try to talk you into building or buying a designer gun because they have a lot of money and like to beat their chests about their overpriced rifles with CRF and german optics and a bunch of other stuff that won't matter if you hit on your first shot. I'd be willing to bet I could outshoot over 90% of these clowns with my Rem700 action at any distance, most especially the ones with guns that run in the 3,000-8,000 dollar range. Dentists can't shoot.

Be nice now.
My apologies. I don't mean to be crass but the 700 is a very capable action. I'm not sure there is any component quite as important as the shooter. This 2.5 inch sighter was shot 8 times from 1,000 yards with a 308 built on a 700 action. I would love to see a blaser do it. If the OP can shoot he will do just fine with his 700 if that's what he prefers.
sighter .JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiuseppeMc

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!