I did a low light test tonight with a $100 pair of leupolds, a vortex fury rangefinding bino, the swaro EL range TA, and a swaro CL 10x32. The tree at 127 yards was my focus point. The vortex lost clarity at 15 min past sunset (cloudy night). The leupolds were a minute or two longer. The swaro CL went to about 24 min after sunset. The swaro el range TA was 28 minutes after sunset. While i am not surprised with the results, I am convinced that you get what you pay for. (Yes, the leupold was an anomaly on the price continuum.)
I did not have the Leica to compare.
The swaro rangefinder auto dims as it gets darker. The numbers are red LED so it is easy to see in low light.
While the vortex fury is a great set for $1000, it isn’t even close to the swaro EL range.
Now I need to figure out the ballistics program for the El range.

D09C09E9-A038-4621-AE33-D666F7AB369E.jpeg
2875A960-F330-4DA5-AA7D-8D57C0EE5A34.jpeg
21781BA9-A5B8-49A2-A83A-C7E7B2C549F1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a low light test tonight with a $100 pair of leupolds, a vortex fury rangefinding bino, the swaro EL range TA, and a swaro CL 10x32. The tree at 127 yards was my focus point. The vortex lost clarity at 15 min past sunset (cloudy night). The leupolds were a minute or two longer. The swaro CL went to about 24 min after sunset. The swaro el range TA was 28 minutes after sunset. While i am not surprised with the results, I am convinced that you get what you pay for. (Yes, the leupold was an anomaly on the price continuum.)
I did not have the Leica to compare.
The swaro rangefinder auto dims as it gets darker. The numbers are red LED so it is easy to see in low light.
While the vortex fury is a great set for $1000, it isn’t even close to the swaro EL range.
Now I need to figure out the ballistics program for the El range.
I’d like to do this test with your EL Range vs my Leica HD-B 3000. I’m sure they would be neck and neck.

Last year I compared Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss range binos. I ended up purchasing a pair of Zeiss’ newest model. After using it for a few months, I ended up going back to my trusty Swarovski EL since I preferred the optical quality of Swarovski EL over the Zeiss range binos.

When Swarovski came out with their newest version of EL Range earlier this year, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. So far, I am liking it a lot. I may even consider selling my EL since these EL Range TA have excellent optical quality and useful features. The only thing I don’t like about Swarovski is what I call “whale belly” design. It just might be me but the EL Range TA feel a bit better in my hands than their previous version.

Regards,
How well does the app work? Setting up a rifle? Easy? Have you shot distance with your new binos calculating and dialing much yet? What software do the Swaros use? Is it Applied Ballistics or their own? Does anyone know? The Leicas only use Applied Ballistics when paired with the Kestrel Elite so I guess that means they calculate on some proprietary software of theirs.
I know the glass and ergonomics are better I am just concerned about the functionality.

I have the older and simpler (probably a good thing in my case) 10x40 Leica Geovid HD 2700. It is a fabulous instrument. It goes with me everywhere when hunting in North America and Europe. No other binocular in my experience feels better in the hand. I also use the Leica 8x42 Ultravid (non-range finding) binocular for Africa. I have at least 8-10 Leica scopes ranging from the ERi to Magnus. Love them all. Can't speak to Leica service, because I have never had to use it. In fairness, I have never had to send anything back to Swaro either.
Thanks.

Not trying to step on your thread. Just a quick question. Anyone have a suggestion on a good rangefinder that is pretty bare bones? Im not a techi, so dont need all the extra bells and whistles. My son has acouple scopes with the range and bullet drop compensation, but thats too much for me. I dont wanna plug my scope into a computer and enter load data. I just wanna shoot the target. Lol
I have have 2 pairs of Swarovski binos, no rangefinder. Just recently bought a Swarovski spotting scope, also has no rangefinder. I like to keep it simple amd separate. I hate it when something is multifunctional and 1 function breaks. And I would like to keep the tech to a minimum also so I dont have to study its abilities for a day just to use it. Just like I dont wanna learn a new language, just to read a new book !
Go with Rangefinding binos.

I’d like to do this test with your EL Range vs my Leica HD-B 3000. I’m sure they would be neck and neck.
From everything I have read, I suspect the performance would be the same between Leica and Swaro.
I hadn’t taken the time to do a test like this in the past. It was a worthwhile experiment to really get to see the difference. The tree bark I was looking at had light colored streaks in it. When a binocular ceased the gather sufficient light the texture of the bark went away and the light streaks disappeared.

How well does the app work? Setting up a rifle? Easy? Have you shot distance with your new binos calculating and dialing much yet? What software do the Swaros use? Is it Applied Ballistics or their own? Does anyone know? The Leicas only use Applied Ballistics when paired with the Kestrel Elite so I guess that means they calculate on some proprietary software of theirs.
I know the glass and ergonomics are better I am just concerned about the functionality.

Setting up the app is quite intuitive and use friendly. Since I just got the pair a few weeks ago, I have not had a chance to use the range bino to dial in an actual target on an incline to shoot yet. Once the weather warms a bit and snow melts away, I will give it a go.

One thing I have noticed is that it acquires a target and displays the distance a lot quicker with minimal lag time than the Zeiss range bino I tried out last year.

I am not sure about the actual software Swarovski uses. You might want to give them a call to inquire about it.

Regards,

From everything I have read, I suspect the performance would be the same between Leica and Swaro.
I hadn’t taken the time to do a test like this in the past. It was a worthwhile experiment to really get to see the difference. The tree bark I was looking at had light colored streaks in it. When a binocular ceased the gather sufficient light the texture of the bark went away and the light streaks disappeared.
That’s a really fair test. I did mine at dusk in the Euro Optic parking lot. As you stated, the performance between the Swaro and Leica were neck and neck. My eyes couldn’t tell the difference. However the other brands were left in the rear view mirror. I’d say the only other one that was close was the Zeiss, but to me it was behind the Swaro and Leica.

Setting up the app is quite intuitive and use friendly. Since I just got the pair a few weeks ago, I have not had a chance to use the range bino to dial in an actual target on an incline to shoot yet. Once the weather warms a bit and snow melts away, I will give it a go.

One thing I have noticed is that it acquires a target and displays the distance a lot quicker with minimal lag time than the Zeiss range bino I tried out last year.

I am not sure about the actual software Swarovski uses. You might want to give them a call to inquire about it.

Regards,
The swaro gives a range reading with one touch and it takes less than a second. My vortex fury take two taps, one to turn it on, the second push to range. I really like the one touch option.

I’ve been working a ton lately because there is not much else to do, hence the new binoculars. Now I need to slow the treadmill down so I can use these for archery turkey hunting.

I will report back about the app.

Btw: I think @jdemocko has a new pair of Leica rangefinding binos he is selling. Someone should buy them and come to Minnesota for a gear test! (Don’t worry, snow is possible on Tuesday)

Btw: I think @jdemocko has a new pair of Leica rangefinding binos he is selling. Someone should buy them and come to Minnesota for a gear test! (Don’t worry, snow is possible on Tuesday)
Not anymore. I doubled down on the Leica.

To each his own eyes. I had both of them side by side for a month, it took that long to decide. For me it came down to color. Some days the Leica was better some days the Swarovski won out. It seems like your eyes change day to day and sharpness comes and goes. My morning eyes were different than my afternoon strained eyes. Lots of variables. The one constant for me was color. My eyes liked the swarovskis. Next is ergonomics, some folks will like the way one feels over the other. If your only problem is chosing between these two binoculars, I'd say you got it made.

Tonight I spent all of 30 minutes setting up the app for the El range TA binoculars. I installed my favorite rounds from .300 win mag, 7 Rem mag and .270 win. The phone app is actually pretty simple. The Bluetooth connection was fast. The readings now give me the choice of how I want the holdover data to be displayed. Next I need to test it at the shooting range to see how close it gets me.

Most of the setup time was reading and retreading the instructions. It is simple, I expected it to be more complex. I like simple, especially when shooting!

Hello,

Did any of you tested the new Zeiss Victory HT rangefinder binocular against the other two, L and S? Not the previous Zeiss RF but the last one...?

Thanks!

CF

Hope all this rechnology does not detract from the hunting experience.....

There are two distances close enough or too far which differs depending on what and where you hunt....

Know your rifle and load and what it and you can do.....

Aim on hair not air.....works everytime....

Hi lvW,

Agree!!! I do not use, or have, RF.
I use the scope reticle as a RF. All my riflescopes have FFP reticles, german Nr 1 or Nr 4. You must KNOW the animal dimentions as aproximately as you can. Worked more than enough to me.

Best!

CF

Hope all this rechnology does not detract from the hunting experience.....

There are two distances close enough or too far which differs depending on what and where you hunt....

Know your rifle and load and what it and you can do.....
In Africa you are absolutely correct. In North America - particularly for mountain game like sheep and goats, in Europe for chamois and ibex, and in Asia for a host of mountain game, knowing slant angle and horizontal range, exact distance, and rifle ballistics can be very important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg