Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I am finally ready to upgrade my Swarovski EL Range binos for one of the new models. I have looked at extensively and nearly bought the Leica Geovid 3200 10x42 binos last year. They have had this technology for years but just last year came out with bluetooth connectivity to not only their app but also the Kestrel Elite, and the Apple Watch. Now Swarovski has a competitive model that also takes in the environmentals, bluetooths to an app, and will give you holdover or clicks. They have upgraded the glass to the Swarovision glass on this model. It just does not have the features nor nearly the range of the Leica 3200. The Leica has the benefit of having all these features longer in their binos. Since I already have a Kestrel Elite and it connects to the Leica then that may be the best solution for me. I am a bit brand loyal to Swaro so this is the struggle.
I really believe that the Rangefinding binos are the best hunting tool since the scope. With this new step up in technology it is even better. The ability to glass, range, and dial in a matter of seconds is a true game changer for hunting.
I’ll buy one or the other and report on it in the coming months.
What are your thoughts?
Regards
Philip

I just did the same search and have a pair of the Swaro el range TA in 10x42 arriving tomorrow. Since I use swaro scopes with the ballistic turret it came down to wanting the systems to match. I don’t need a range reading beyond 2000 yards, so I’m ok with that limit. They changed the button to the right side for bow hunters. Also, the readout is now red led so it can be seen in low light. They will be an upgrade over my vortex Fury rangefinding binoculars (which will now go to my son).

I will report back on functionality over the next few months. It seems that you can’t go wrong with either swaro or Leica.

I am finally ready to upgrade my Swarovski EL Range binos for one of the new models. I have looked at extensively and nearly bought the Leica Geovid 3200 10x42 binos last year. They have had this technology for years but just last year came out with bluetooth connectivity to not only their app but also the Kestrel Elite, and the Apple Watch. Now Swarovski has a competitive model that also takes in the environmentals, bluetooths to an app, and will give you holdover or clicks. They have upgraded the glass to the Swarovision glass on this model. It just does not have the features nor nearly the range of the Leica 3200. The Leica has the benefit of having all these features longer in their binos. Since I already have a Kestrel Elite and it connects to the Leica then that may be the best solution for me. I am a bit brand loyal to Swaro so this is the struggle.
I really believe that the Rangefinding binos are the best hunting tool since the scope. With this new step up in technology it is even better. The ability to glass, range, and dial in a matter of seconds is a true game changer for hunting.
I’ll buy one or the other and report on it in the coming months.
What are your thoughts?
Regards
Philip
Both are great glass BUT Leica Super SUCKS in their customer service! I have had to deal with them a couple times and ended up selling everything Leica I had because they were such a joke to deal with. I really wish they were not such a pain because I would like a pair of 15 power range finding binoculars again but once I get treated like that I will not buy their products. Customer service is a top reason I return to a product. I hope this helps. Cheers

I just did the same search and have a pair of the Swaro el range TA in 10x42 arriving tomorrow. Since I use swaro scopes with the ballistic turret it came down to wanting the systems to match. I don’t need a range reading beyond 2000 yards, so I’m ok with that limit. They changed the button to the right side for bow hunters. Also, the readout is now red led so it can be seen in low light. They will be an upgrade over my vortex Fury rangefinding binoculars (which will now go to my son).

I will report back on functionality over the next few months. It seems that you can’t go wrong with either swaro or Leica.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are great glass BUT Leica Super SUCKS in their customer service! I have had to deal with them a couple times and ended up selling everything Leica I had because they were such a joke to deal with. I really wish they were not such a pain because I would like a pair of 15 power range finding binoculars again but once I get treated like that I will not buy their products. Customer service is a top reason I return to a product. I hope this helps. Cheers
Thanks.

I hear both great and horrible stories about service from Leica. I own 8 Leica Sport Optics products would continue to purchase more. I own both Leica and Zeiss products. One of my European friends says Leica has the best Binoculars and Zeiss the best Scopes. I have the original HD-B binoculars and very happy with them.

I've heard from a couple friends that Leica has upped their game in the past couple years. Yes, their service did suck. I sent in a pair of 12x50's several years ago, just to get checked, $400 minimum. No thanks

I use a bushnell golf rangefinder at the shooting range. Please publish your experience when you get your new rangefinder. Im interested in upgrading also.

I tried both the Swaro EL Range 10x42 and Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000. I preferred the Leica for the trueness of the color. The bump on the bottom of the Swaro didn't feel comfortable in my hand or wearing them cross-body on my hip.

There is a set of Leica for sale in the classifieds for a very reasonable price. But I don't believe they will connect to your Kestrel like the 3200's.

I got a pair of Leica 8x42 binos many moons ago from a client they served me well to this day....the old heavier olive green ones....

Rangefinder I only use when bow hunting or when hunting large open plains.

Rangefinding binos are a great inovation and I would love a pair but out of my price range...

Optics quality is very important...

Having said that I have had clients over doing it totally with binos...meaning they get to pre occupied with using binos and spend too much time trying to use them instead of concentrating on the primary task of being ready to take the shot and making sure the first shot goes where it needs to go....

This is much less of an issue with more experienced clients..

Of course circumstance and the actual hunt will dictate...

Many a good trophy has been lost because of overbinoculising.....

I have the EL's, the Leica Geovids with the Rangefinder, the Leica Duovids and a pair of SLC's. I'd have to say of the 4, the EL's are my favorite. Mostly erognomics because they all have awesome glass. Pick what "feels" best to you in your hands, they are both awesome glass.

I got a pair of Leica 8x42 binos many moons ago from a client they served me well to this day....the old heavier olive green ones....

Rangefinder I only use when bow hunting or when hunting large open plains.

Rangefinding binos are a great inovation and I would love a pair but out of my price range...

Optics quality is very important...

Having said that I have had clients over doing it totally with binos...meaning they get to pre occupied with using binos and spend too much time trying to use them instead of concentrating on the primary task of being ready to take the shot and making sure the first shot goes where it needs to go....

This is much less of an issue with more experienced clients..

Of course circumstance and the actual hunt will dictate...

Many a good trophy has been lost because of overbinoculising.....
You are so right. The client has to be ready and not lost in the weeds glassing.

I have the EL's, the Leica Geovids with the Rangefinder, the Leica Duovids and a pair of SLC's. I'd have to say of the 4, the EL's are my favorite. Mostly erognomics because they all have awesome glass. Pick what "feels" best to you in your hands, they are both awesome glass.
Thanks

There is no doubt the new Leica's feel good in my hands. I looked at them extensively at SCI last year. I've not seen a pair of the new Swaros yet.

I use a bushnell golf rangefinder at the shooting range. Please publish your experience when you get your new rangefinder. Im interested in upgrading also.
These are binoculars with on board range finding and ballistic computing capability.

Last year I compared Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss range binos. I ended up purchasing a pair of Zeiss’ newest model. After using it for a few months, I ended up going back to my trusty Swarovski EL since I preferred the optical quality of Swarovski EL over the Zeiss range binos.

When Swarovski came out with their newest version of EL Range earlier this year, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. So far, I am liking it a lot. I may even consider selling my EL since these EL Range TA have excellent optical quality and useful features. The only thing I don’t like about Swarovski is what I call “whale belly” design. It just might be me but the EL Range TA feel a bit better in my hands than their previous version.

Regards,

There is no doubt the new Leica's feel good in my hands. I looked at them extensively at SCI last year. I've not seen a pair of the new Swaros yet.
I have the older and simpler (probably a good thing in my case) 10x40 Leica Geovid HD 2700. It is a fabulous instrument. It goes with me everywhere when hunting in North America and Europe. No other binocular in my experience feels better in the hand. I also use the Leica 8x42 Ultravid (non-range finding) binocular for Africa. I have at least 8-10 Leica scopes ranging from the ERi to Magnus. Love them all. Can't speak to Leica service, because I have never had to use it. In fairness, I have never had to send anything back to Swaro either.

These are binoculars with on board range finding and ballistic computing capability.
Sounds like more than I need to pay for then. I just want to upgrade to a actual shooting rangefinder. I read the difference is furthest point vs closest point. Would be interesting to see the difference and maybe easier use ? Ive been using my golf rangefinder last couple of years at the range. But I always forget it in my shooting bag when going to the course. Lol

Not trying to step on your thread. Just a quick question. Anyone have a suggestion on a good rangefinder that is pretty bare bones? Im not a techi, so dont need all the extra bells and whistles. My son has acouple scopes with the range and bullet drop compensation, but thats too much for me. I dont wanna plug my scope into a computer and enter load data. I just wanna shoot the target. Lol
I have have 2 pairs of Swarovski binos, no rangefinder. Just recently bought a Swarovski spotting scope, also has no rangefinder. I like to keep it simple amd separate. I hate it when something is multifunctional and 1 function breaks. And I would like to keep the tech to a minimum also so I dont have to study its abilities for a day just to use it. Just like I dont wanna learn a new language, just to read a new book !

Have heard the same from friends who had major delays in getting their bino's back in time for hunts. So, they had to buy another bino (Swaro's) and ended up selling the Leicas when they got them back. Oh, at a fee or course. I just sent my old Swaro 1st gen EL Range back to be serviced because the heat and deet in Luangwa Valley last October caused the rubber button cover to disintegrate. They sent them from Virginia back to Austria, serviced, cleaned and shipped them back to me at NO CHARGE! Now thats customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg