Quebec Caribou Tips?

For me it wasn't mosquitoes it was black flies.
They would crawl between sleeves and gloves and bite your wrists. Take a bug net and what ever you have to help.

For me it wasn't mosquitoes it was black flies.
They would crawl between sleeves and gloves and bite your wrists. Take a bug net and what ever you have to help.
Does DEET help with the flies? I got a couple headnets, but was hoping to not need them. I got a spray bottle & wipes with repellent.

I know that when I got back from my Caribou hunt I had welts around my wrists, neck any place the black flies could get to landing on you and crawling between cloth garments.
Looked back at the film of the hunt and it looked like I was out of the net most of the time. I think the most important thing was a light breeze to keep them off you.
Take the deet but make sure you have the net also!!!! For those still days.

No good bug solution, preventions or chemical. Nets and clothes make me overheat and feel like suffocating. White sox are worse than mosquitos for me. Use DEET- the best of poor solutions.

I fly out in the morning. Can someone who has gone through Montreal tell me what to expect on arrival & picking up my rifle? I have the Canadian form in triplicate & a fresh 4457 but just curious if I have to find a special office to do the forms.

Never had to do the 4457 on all the hunts I've been on in Canada. No one's ever asked.......
On the Canadian form that you are talking about, i'm assuming it's the Canadian Firearm Declaration form?
If it is, I got my butt chewed out a couple of times for filling it all out ahead of time and then signing it. Was told that i was not sign it unless it was in front of a customs officer. I never saw anything on the form that stated that, but that's what i was told.
On special office.........can't help you there. Flew in/out of Winnipeg, MB so cleared customs ahead of time so all we had to do when we landed was to pick up our rifles and leave.
On another note. When you return, you will most likely be brought to the back parking lot of the hotel to claim/pick up your meat and antlers/hides. There will be a meat processor and a taxidermist there if you want their service(s). I thought the meat processing was great and very reasonable. As far as the taxidermist (Pierre Gevry)........I would pass. Had him do one shoulder mount for me and i was not at all impressed. The mounts he had on display were great, but nothing like what i received. If you can get your hide and/or antlers back another way (checked baggage, etc.) i would try that route. On my last trip, i passed on the shoulder mount and instead had him clean the antlers, prep the hide, etc. and then had him ship it to me. Got gouged!!
I know someone that's going up to Leaf with a large group (whole camp) in a few weeks and he talked to Pierre about some prices. Prices went WAY UP!!
Could be another taxidermist there as well, but on both of my trips, Pierre was the only one.

Good luck and keep everyone posted.........they have Wi-Fi there!

Thanks for the heads up not to sign the firearm form! I'll print out some unsigned copies. I definitely wanted the meat processing, so good to hear thumbs up on that. Bummer about the taxidermy as I was just going to do that there. I'm having significant delays on my africa mounts & didn't want another year + wait on the caribou. Not sure what to do on that now. I've heard you can send as checked baggage if wrapped correctly (bubble wrap & no leaking blood). would they do that for you?

Checking the antlers....would have to ask the airline and see as they all differ. I would ask when you land.
Not sure what they have on hand at Leaf River for wrapping the antlers. All depends on too when you get your bull (what day) and whether you'll have the time.
Taxidermist....you may like his work. I'm kinda picky. Plus, mine had to have the velvet stripped and then they stained the antlers. Antlers got all blotchy....was never given a heads up on that.

Checking the antlers....would have to ask the airline and see as they all differ. I would ask when you land.
Not sure what they have on hand at Leaf River for wrapping the antlers. All depends on too when you get your bull (what day) and whether you'll have the time.
Taxidermist....you may like his work. I'm kinda picky. Plus, mine had to have the velvet stripped and then they stained the antlers. Antlers got all blotchy....was never given a heads up on that.
Would you mind posting some pics of the mount? I fly in on United & out on Canadian Airlines. I think they are affiliated but not sure they'd know the answer for the other airline. I can ask. Luckily I got a direct flight back to Denver from Montreal, so the meat doesn't have to take more than one flight. Thanks for the info. I've got to sign off, load the gear in the truck, & get some sleep for the 4am wakeup call to make the early flight!

DSC00357.JPG

I got a nice one! Scored 360 1/8 in velvet. Thanks for all the tips & suggestions. I'll do a trip report, but will be a few days when I get fast internet.

Hell yeah!! Congratulations!!
Great double bez on that thing.
Double shovel? Hard to tell from the picture.
Can you save the velvet?

Im assuming you are at the leaf river camp judging by the terrain.
Louie in camp? If so, tell him Brett says hi!

How's the camp as a whole doing....lots of bou' around?

Didn't get a chance to get that picture of my caribou for you as it is out at my hunting camp and i won't be out there for awhile....sorry.

Awesome bull @gebo824, you must be proud! I can't wait to read the report as I am off to Leaf River a week from Saturday. I woke up thinking about the trip this morning and wondering how you did. I am very happy for you and your success.

Congratulations! Looking forward to the hunt report.

@gebo824 Nice bou!!! I hope I can find one as good.
I will also be flying out and returning to Denver, nonstop on Canadian Airlines both ways. Did you bring your horns, cape, and any meat back with you? Any problems?
Looking forward to your Trip Report.

Great looking animal, can't wait to read the report

My recommendation is to definitely think about global rescue insurance. I don't know if you've even seen northern Quebec on a map but it is one of the most beautiful but secluded places on the east coast.

I went walleye fishing in Monet a few years ago. We drove to the train station, then took a 6 hour train ride north. We passed exactly one lumber town on that 6 hour ride through wilderness. At the Monet train stop (literally a two story house by the side of the road.) We got off and road on a utility vehicle for an hour to our cabin.

If you broke your leg or had a serious accident, without an emergency airlift, you'd be dead before you could get medical attention.

But it is GORGEOUS country and a trip I won't forget! Also, depending on what time of year it is... BRING BUG SPRAY. Those were some of the worst black flies, mosquitoes, deerflies and horseflies I have ever encountered.

My recommendation is to definitely think about global rescue insurance. I don't know if you've even seen northern Quebec on a map but it is one of the most beautiful but secluded places on the east coast.

I went walleye fishing in Monet a few years ago. We drove to the train station, then took a 6 hour train ride north. We passed exactly one lumber town on that 6 hour ride through wilderness. At the Monet train stop (literally a two story house by the side of the road.) We got off and road on a utility vehicle for an hour to our cabin.

If you broke your leg or had a serious accident, without an emergency airlift, you'd be dead before you could get medical attention.

But it is GORGEOUS country and a trip I won't forget! Also, depending on what time of year it is... BRING BUG SPRAY. Those were some of the worst black flies, mosquitoes, deerflies and horseflies I have ever encountered.
But then I see you're already back! congratulations!

Well, I'm still at Leaf river. weather prevented the flight out yesterday. a charter is coming in today, but only had 5 seats, was $1200 extra, & I was too slow to get in that group of 5. there was another for $2200 but I passed. so who knows when I get out of here! I got my full 5 days of hunting & fishing, but feel for those stuck at Nac Pau. they've lost one day & likely two. JES, keep that in mind.

Not quite a double shovel, as the right one is a spike. I heard a suggestion to not inject the velvet so didn't & now too late. I'll do the spray on, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg