Quebec Caribou Tips?

Pat/Nicholas, good info. Wow, that Arcteryx LEAF Gear is pricey. It looks to be military grade, so I'm sure it's good, but I'll have to think about that expenditure. I need to get some wool tops/vest, & consider the wind. Since Canada/Alaska are on the bucket list for future adventures, I'm really looking into my gear. Sounds like packing a 'bou out is likely, so now thinking about my pack. I've packed out elk, but always had my frame pack at camp for that. I think my smallish pack with internal frame can do it, but never tried it. I may take my 270 WSM, else the trusty & accurate 300 WM. Both are SS barrel & synthetic stock so can handle a little moisture. Will I see the aurora this time of year there?

Gebo, don't get in a twist about the arcteryx hard rain gear, the other high end rain gear is the 90% solution at half the cost. But IMHO money no object the LEAF gear is the best. If your looking at pack frames there are lots of good choices , Eberlestock, mystery ranch , Arcteryx etc. I use tatonka lastenkraxe Ive been happy with it for the last three seasons. Ive carried loads of 140+ down off the mountain with no hot spots or chafing. You can fit caribou quarters whole, moose depending on size deboned ( be aware moose quarters are right around 200lbs in BC, Alaska are bigger I hear) will fit.
There's a 100lb rear quarter in the bag the trail out is about 7km down the valley , took three days. Was luck the grizz and wolves left me alone.

upload_2017-4-15_16-3-55.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with the northern lights is that you will be too early in the season, it needs to be dry and cold usually below -20C ( I lived in Whitehorse & Yellowknife during my prospecting days)
cheers
Pat

Beautiful picture, awesome scenery combined with evidence of a successful hunt! I think that view could inspire me to keep trekking. I've got a Tenzing pack that I used once on an elk hunt. It seemed awful heavy, so swapped to a fanny pack the next day. We weren't far from camp, so didn't need to haul around a lot of gear. When we got an elk down (cow, which was only tag my buddy had), we just quartered it there, hiked back to the truck, got the frame packs, then two hikes to get it out. I always thought I'd use the Tenzing if ever hiking way out. Maybe I should consider it for this caribou hunt. Bummer about the northern lights, never seen them.
Gary

Gary, I like you don't always hunt with my "meat pack" on my back. I don't find it too heavy just too big and a bit noisy for spot and stock. When I get the animal down depending if I'm alone (I normally am, my preference) then I gut, quarter , and head for the jeep for resupply. When you get the itch to chase ,mountain boo drop me a PM and I will point you in the right direction. The best territory is on the plateau beyond the mountain is this picture. This is where the outfitters hunt. Just a teaser ;)
Have a great hunt in Quebec, I look forward to the pics. cheers Pat

upload_2017-4-15_18-54-10.png

gebo, you will be paired up with another hunter and a guide, don't worry too much about the pack. I put 100+ lbs of caribou in my military frameless day pack and did fine. The furthest we packed out was about 3 miles oneway over a bog and humped out 3 'bou over that and then had to pack everything back out over a 1 mile portage. It took a bit, but we got into camp before sundown. Don't worry about skinning or gutting any of it, the guide will be on it like stink on shit if he is worth his salt! The Newfies (people from New Foundland) and 1st Nation (Inuit Indians) guide we had could field dress and cape a 'bou in less than 15 minutes! All we had to do was look out for black bear and wolves! A 'bou is not hardy and a .243 Winchester is plenty for them, just hit it in the boiler room and there is no tracking required. Good luck and stay safe.

I'd really love to do a woodland caribou hunt. But reviews on outfitters are slim and they vary wildly. It makes it hard to research. I'm still working on where I'll hunt in the next few years. I might hunt stateside in 2018. Then do New Zealand for stag or woodland caribou in 2019.

As far as rain gear goes, look at the Kuiu Chugach jacket and pant. I love mine. The Ultra NX is the ultralight gear, but I'm more fond of the Chugach for warmth and perceived durability. They also make a superdown vest that's really nice. Lots of warmth without restriction. The Peloton 200 zip off base layer goes very well under the pants for warmth. The Peloton 130 is a little lighter for zip off base layer. The superdown pants under the Chugach rain paint is crazy hot. I think Kuiu has some good gear. I've got quite a bit of it.

BTW - What rain gear are you considering? Its been several years since my last Canadian hunt so my stuff is outdated. I've been looking hard Kuiu gear

While I've never been to Canada (...yet), I think Kuiu is a great option. I'm not far from their showroom in Dixon, CA. I posted a few things above, then saw your post. I have what I need already for hot, windy, or wet snowy hunts with what I've picked up in the last few years. I've really liked everything I've gotten so far.

no doubt, my only issue with it that it's designed for the ultra light sheep hunting crowd ( and I have used it for that purpose) but as so its durability is a little wanting IMHO. Just my 2¢:)

I agree some pieces are designed for the ultralight crowd and are lighter than I need. But others are a bit heavier. I've found that the Kuiu layering works really well for me, and have yet to see a major failure with anything.

When I started looking around for new gear, it seemed with comparable type items, you could almost by twice as much Kuiu rather than Sitka or Arc’teryx. Then I figured out I work near the Kuiu shop fairly often... Once you start trying on fun gear to try out, you know how that goes. It started coming home with me. :D

I'd really love to do a woodland caribou hunt. But reviews on outfitters are slim and they vary wildly. It makes it hard to research. I'm still working on where I'll hunt in the next few years. I might hunt stateside in 2018. Then do New Zealand for stag or woodland caribou in 2019.

As far as rain gear goes, look at the Kuiu Chugach jacket and pant. I love mine. The Ultra NX is the ultralight gear, but I'm more fond of the Chugach for warmth and perceived durability. They also make a superdown vest that's really nice. Lots of warmth without restriction. The Peloton 200 zip off base layer goes very well under the pants for warmth. The Peloton 130 is a little lighter for zip off base layer. The superdown pants under the Chugach rain paint is crazy hot. I think Kuiu has some good gear. I've got quite a bit of it.

Try these guys out:

http://www.moosevalley.com/subpage.php?id=3

http://mayfloweroutfitters.com/your-adventure/hunting/woodland-caribou/

http://newfoundlandmoose.com/page/caribou

http://redindianlake.com/page/woodland-caribou

As for rain/ wind gear, all I used was my old issue gore-tex, some Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1500 gram insulated boots, and some polypropelene long underwear. After I got warmed up or we got ready to move, I would take the gore-tex off and use my Game-hide gear to keep from sweating too much even in the cold. If you can get the Kuiu, get it. It is some great gear!

I just booked a Quebec caribou trip this Fall through WTA at Leaf River outfitters. Caribou is high on my bucket list & since hunting Quebec caribou closes next year, I squeezed this in between Africa trips. I jumped on it after getting an email about some cancelations (there may still be another opening). This my first caribou hunt, so looking for tips & knowledge from those that have hunted Quebec & maybe with this outfitter. The hunt is late Aug-early Sept. Thanks.
Don't know if this would help, but you should contact the outfitter to see if you can get a black bear also and the tags are cheap. The last time I was up there, the bears were numerous in my area which was the St. James River area. Also lots of trout, but not much Atlantic salmon. Bug spray helps immensely. Good rain gear and some good waterproof boots. Stainless gun helps if you are in fly camps and can't carry a lot of gear. Now, I haven't been to that area in 20 + years but caribou are mostly caribou. Being mobile is the key to getting on them. Hope you have fun.

Thanks guys. I've been away from this site for a bit so catching up. I had to go whack a couple of Merriam turkeys in South Dakota!

I'm going to check out the Lacrosse boots this weekend. I'll stick with the pack I have. I'll have to think about the bear tag. Are color phase bears there in abundance? I would like to get a nice cinnamon, as I got a nice black in Idaho last year.

I would love to do this hunt someday! Hope you fill your tags in a couple of days as someone else did.

Attachments

• HuntingRegs16-17.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 190
Good post Ruger fan, lots of good info there. Love the Yukon, lots of fond memories from my prospecting days. Whitehorse is a fun town:whistle:

Cheers
Pat

Good post Ruger fan, lots of good info there. Love the Yukon, lots of fond memories from my prospecting days. Whitehorse is a fun town:whistle:

Cheers
Pat

Whitehorse is a fun place. I spent a few days there on the front end and back end of my dall sheep hunt last August. Hope to go back there sometime in the near future and go after a moose or bison. Here's a link to dall sheep hunt report: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ep-hunt-report-with-dickson-outfitters.30905/

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've been away from this site for a bit so catching up. I had to go whack a couple of Merriam turkeys in South Dakota!

I'm going to check out the Lacrosse boots this weekend. I'll stick with the pack I have. I'll have to think about the bear tag. Are color phase bears there in abundance? I would like to get a nice cinnamon, as I got a nice black in Idaho last year.
I've only seen black phase bears up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois