QD Rings, Base for Model 70 Safari Express

JHT

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My new old stock Model 70 Safari Express in .416 Remington arrived yesterday and I now need some education on which QD rings and base to purchase. From what I’ve learned on this forum, I’m guessing low profile rings by either Warne or Talley. Scope plan is either new Swarovski or Zeiss with 24mm objective. I have also been advised to drill and tap the receiver for larger #8 screws. Thank you.

4A85228F-553F-4578-B402-756E18F8AEED.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d go with Talley’s If the eyepiece will clear the bolt handle. The Leupold QRW will give you a little more clearance if it is an issue.

VX6 eyepiece is smaller than the Swaro. I’ve gone to VX6 over Swaro on some rifles for that reason.

I use different mounts so no input on that. One thing I've noticed though is that many of the modern scopes are short coupled which really limits mounting options.

No quarrel with D&T ing the holes to size 8. Stronger mounts/screws are always good but may not be absolutely necessary. But best to let a gunsmith do it so he risks breaking a tap and having to deal with that booboo. The front receiver ring on those tends to be really hard.

EAW, installed by NECG!

Mine has steel weaver-style bases (from Warne) and steel Leupold we weaverstyle Leupold rings. Rest of the money I spent on ammunition....

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with #6 screws. I’ve read about drilling and tapping for #8s, but the mount bases would probably need drilling and countersinking as well. Just cant see doing it if its not a tru problem.

I've never had or heard of an issue with no. 6 base screws. Put some appropriate LocTite on them and you should be solid. Leupold QR rings have never given me any issues. I did have to shim a rear base on my M70 .375, but they've held up as expected. Reinstalled scopes always come back to zero, so I've been pleased.

Mine wears a Leupold VX6 1-6 on Warne bases and Warne QD rings. Been to Africa twice with this setup and put two buffalo in the salt. One suggestion I have on scope is an illuminated reticle. A black reticle on a black buffalo can be hard to see, especially with aging eyes (mine).

FYI, I believe my rings are medium height.

Re. the need to go from a number 6 to a number 8 size screw, don't you think if the 6(s) were a real problem that manufacturers would have long since changed them. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Talley or Alaskan. Smithson is good maybe even better but the mounts themselves will cost twice as much as the gun.

Whatever low rings you choose, rotate the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise so that the turret is not over the ejection port.
I prefer Talley for everything.

I went with Warne base and low QD rings. The scope is perfect height for me.

And yes this rifle is over scoped, it may not stay on here for long.
View attachment 451825
The scope will work perfect for croc or hippo in the water! JMO&E
With QR rings you could easily switch to a 1x-(whatever) for land hippo or buffalo.

The scope will work perfect for croc or hippo in the water! JMO&E
With QR rings you could easily switch to a 1x-(whatever) for land hippo or buffalo.
I am hunting croc too, so maybe just add a 1x6 to my package rather than replace it all together. Good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg