QD Rings, Base for Model 70 Safari Express

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
My new old stock Model 70 Safari Express in .416 Remington arrived yesterday and I now need some education on which QD rings and base to purchase. From what I’ve learned on this forum, I’m guessing low profile rings by either Warne or Talley. Scope plan is either new Swarovski or Zeiss with 24mm objective. I have also been advised to drill and tap the receiver for larger #8 screws. Thank you.

4A85228F-553F-4578-B402-756E18F8AEED.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I’d go with Talley’s If the eyepiece will clear the bolt handle. The Leupold QRW will give you a little more clearance if it is an issue.

Reactions: JHT

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
VX6 eyepiece is smaller than the Swaro. I’ve gone to VX6 over Swaro on some rifles for that reason.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
I use different mounts so no input on that. One thing I've noticed though is that many of the modern scopes are short coupled which really limits mounting options.

No quarrel with D&T ing the holes to size 8. Stronger mounts/screws are always good but may not be absolutely necessary. But best to let a gunsmith do it so he risks breaking a tap and having to deal with that booboo. The front receiver ring on those tends to be really hard.

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
EAW, installed by NECG!

GuttormG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Mine has steel weaver-style bases (from Warne) and steel Leupold we weaverstyle Leupold rings. Rest of the money I spent on ammunition....

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with #6 screws. I’ve read about drilling and tapping for #8s, but the mount bases would probably need drilling and countersinking as well. Just cant see doing it if its not a tru problem.

Waterbuck2008

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I've never had or heard of an issue with no. 6 base screws. Put some appropriate LocTite on them and you should be solid. Leupold QR rings have never given me any issues. I did have to shim a rear base on my M70 .375, but they've held up as expected. Reinstalled scopes always come back to zero, so I've been pleased.

Custom

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
Mine wears a Leupold VX6 1-6 on Warne bases and Warne QD rings. Been to Africa twice with this setup and put two buffalo in the salt. One suggestion I have on scope is an illuminated reticle. A black reticle on a black buffalo can be hard to see, especially with aging eyes (mine).

Custom

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
FYI, I believe my rings are medium height.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Re. the need to go from a number 6 to a number 8 size screw, don't you think if the 6(s) were a real problem that manufacturers would have long since changed them. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Talley or Alaskan. Smithson is good maybe even better but the mounts themselves will cost twice as much as the gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaleighDAl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.