Puzzle: Deduce The Cartridge Length

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Dear fellow forum members ,
For the sake of levity ... Let us play a game . Here are 2 vintage Eley 12 Bore cartridges . I chose these vintage cartridges so that few people can search for the answer on the internet ( Unless they have access to a vintage Eley catalog )
Screenshot_20200514-102122.png

The 1 on the left is a 12 Bore Eley spherical ball cartridge . The 1 on the right is an Eley 12 Bore LG cartridge .
Who , among you can deduce which of these 2 cartridges is longer in length ?
Is the left 1 longer than the right 1 ?
Is the right 1 longer than the left 1 ?
Or are they both the same size ?

It took me 5 seconds to find my answer . Let us see how well each of you know your shot gun basics !

Yours sincerely ,
Major Poton Khan ( Retired )

PS : Something tells me that this 1 shall be too easy ... But still .

Last edited:
My guess is that these two are the same length as each other.

If the ball is hand loaded it could be as much as 1/2 " shorter when loading shotgun balls father would cut shot cups so there was just enough to hold the ball.

If the ball is hand loaded it could be as much as 1/2 " shorter when loading shotgun balls father would cut shot cups so there was just enough to hold the ball.
For the sake of this game , Skinnersblade ... Assume that it is factory loaded ( which it is ) . I am receiving some extremely interesting answers.

The 12 bore Eley spherical ball cartridge is 2 1/2 inch long loaded with a 16ga ball I believe

The Eley 12 Bore LG cartridge is 21/2" pink, glazed, paper-cased, low brass cartridge with rolled turnover. The head is plated steel. White top wad. Loaded with six 0.36 inch lead shot.

That is if they are from the same era round about the second world war....

The 12 bore Eley spherical ball cartridge is 2 1/2 inch long loaded with a 16ga ball I believe

The Eley 12 Bore LG cartridge is 21/2" pink, glazed, paper-cased, low brass cartridge with rolled turnover. The head is plated steel. White top wad. Loaded with six 0.36 inch lead shot.

That is if they are from the same era round about the second world war....
Oh , my ... That took you no time at all , IvW . A friend of mine ( who authored a book ) used those " low brass " LG cartridges to dispatch 4 forest panthers . It was NOT easy on his part . These cartridges are actually 1950s era ... So you are extremely close .

Both the same. If they were side by side there wouldn't be the optical illusion that they are different lengths.

I will cheat . @Red Leg Sir can figure this out in no time . He had a strong appreciation and knowledge base about vintage shotguns and ammunition.

Notwithstanding what has already been said...the shell on the left is actually forward in the picture slightly. Depending on the camera lens, zoom, focal length etc. it makes it look larger than it really is (as evidenced by looking at the low brass relative to each other as well as the left shell looking “thicker” than the right).

Yes, I agree. 2 1/2” on the left, 2 3/4” on the right.

So, did I win the Kriegoff Trap Gun? :)

Here is the answer , gentle men :
Both the cartridges are Eley 2.5 inch 12 Bore cartridges . The 1 on the left is an Eley 2.5 inch 12 Bore spherical ball cartridge . The 1 of the right is an Eley 2.5 inch 12 Bore LG cartridge . Thank you every body ... For playing .

It just feels so dern good to be right for a change.
(I‘ve been married twice).

OK, some math for you..:whistle: If A equals B and B equals C, how long does it take for an orange peel to hit a tin roof?o_O:confused::D That was my dads description of algebra.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He failed it, so did I many years later. :LOL::LOL:

OK, some math for you..:whistle: If A equals B and B equals C, how long does it take for an orange peel to hit a tin roof?o_O:confused::D That was my dads description of algebra.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He failed it, so did I many years later. :LOL::LOL:
The answer, of course, is 42.

Or if you are a candidate for a presidential nomination:
If A equals B, Bees are good they make honey,
say Honey, did you remember to iron my pants?
Pants are a problem, they can be difficult to remove when I want to go swimming,
ah, swimming, down at the bend in the river where the current slows and the pool deepens,
if the girls are there, that is something to C

So if A equals Bee, then it does equal See.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you