Professional Hunters Double Rifles

I'd love to know where some of you guys are finding these deals on double rifles! Usually the best prices I can find for K-guns and the like are around $10k. (unless you're talking a sabatti).

Bullhunter:
Here are a few photos and a letter from Lott to a previous owner. Specs are box lock, non ejector, 24" barrels 14 3/4" pull, weight 12 pounds, made 1907. The rifle is fine but I'm no fan of Lott after the sob took the .450 Watts and called it his Lott and took the glory from my friend James Watts. Anyway, not sure if I put in the pics but I'll know in a minute and you can see the rifle that will replace my .600 on my next few trips.
Cal

LR IMG_1831.JPG
LR IMG_1834.JPG
LR IMG_1829.JPG
LR IMG_1824.JPG
LR IMG_1827.JPG
LR IMG_1830.JPG
LR IMG_1828.JPG

Bullhunter:
Here are a few photos and a letter from Lott to a previous owner. Specs are box lock, non ejector, 24" barrels 14 3/4" pull, weight 12 pounds, made 1907. The rifle is fine but I'm no fan of Lott after the sob took the .450 Watts and called it his Lott and took the glory from my friend James Watts. Anyway, not sure if I put in the pics but I'll know in a minute and you can see the rifle that will replace my .600 on my next few trips.
Cal

View attachment 56960 View attachment 56961 View attachment 56962 View attachment 56963 View attachment 56964 View attachment 56965 View attachment 56966
Beautiful doublerile.
Witold

I used to wonder how these old chaps could afford such expensive doubles. Like someone above said they started, particularly in the ivory hunting days, with a rifle - of whatever make and calibre and worked up. I suspect if any of us knew that our laptop was needed to save our lives we wouldn't be visiting the discount store too often!!! Wouldn't it be nice, for most of us, if all we owned, or needed, was our pickup and our rifle. Seems sweet to me.

Having another read through, you will pick up 470 doubles in GB for 4 - 6 thousand GB pounds. Maybe less now as they will have sat around another year never being used. One of them, as I recall, has only ever shot a zebra!

i know several PH's well , my one PH friend whom I consider to be extremely professional with regards to his business and profession views his double rifle as a life saver in a dangerous situation whilst hunting DG .

I know for a fact that he views his double rifle as a tool of his trade and his security that both he and his client will return safely to there respective families after a successful hunt.

Are doubles affordable? No
Can a double rifle save your and your clients life? Yes
Do you carry a double? Yes
Why? I think it is important to have the best available tool for the job

Having another read through, you will pick up 470 doubles in GB for 4 - 6 thousand GB pounds. Maybe less now as they will have sat around another year never being used. One of them, as I recall, has only ever shot a zebra!

where do you see these doubles for sale at these prices?

in my opinion the double rifle is the way to go. if you prefer the bolt than use the bolt

many great hunters of yesterday and still today hunts with a bolt action...IT IS A MATTER OF CHOICE

So i assume if you drive a cruiser, the work will be better done then driven a hilux? Bull!

Bushwack, seems you missed Pro Hunting Safaris point. He isn't looking for a fight............................I may be wrong...................but he is voicing his professional opinion, which just like yours is an opinion!

Man lighten up!

Bushwack, seems you missed Pro Hunting Safaris point. He isn't looking for a fight............................I may be wrong...................but he is voicing his professional opinion, which just like yours is an opinion!

Man lighten up!

Yes, true, and it is a discussion!

many great hunters of yesterday and still today hunts with a bolt action...IT IS A MATTER OF CHOICE

So i assume if you drive a cruiser, the work will be better done then driven a hilux? Bull!

:E Hmmm: cruiser...hilux....double....bolt.....cruiser.....hilux.........double......bolt.......:E Head Scratch::E Hmmm:......:E Crazy:...:E Omg:....

Timing is everything.

ie: East Africa after independence in the 1960's was a buyers market for fine firearms/ all firearms. There was an exodus to white ruled commonwealth countries, causing a surplus of firearms. Fine firearms could be bought very cheaply. (Do you really need a 470NE in Auckland, Glasgow or Ottawa. )

ie: Tanzania, late 1960's into the 1970's and possibly beyond. If you were shipping your household belongings in crates out of Dar and the manifest listed firearms, the crate would be broken into and your firearms would be stolen. If the manifest didn't list firearms, the crate would be broken into, the firearms confiscated and you would be fined for not listing the firearms on the manifest. During these years you were forced to sell your firearms cheap or give them away.

Anyone who bought in EA during these years could get great deals. Hopefully some of these firearms have been passed down to the PH's of today.

where do you see these doubles for sale at these prices?
Spike, its not all that uncommon in auction sales in GB. As I say, I know a chap who put his 470 in last year and it didn't make his - pretty low -reserve and it went home with him. I am confident he will still have it if you want to message me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,