Practicing from shooting sticks

Take a look at this post from @One Day... that explains the geometry of shooting off sticks.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/practicing-on-shooting-sticks.48755/post-527005

Lots of good info on that thread too.

That’s a good diagram. I will add with a 2-stick style, I lean the sticks toward me a tad, grab the sticks with most of my hand and loop a finger over the barrel and keep it all together.

keeping the sticks far forward on the forend is a must. I’ve seen guys put them just forward of the magazine and wonder how they even stay on target.

That’s a good diagram. I will add with a 2-stick style, I lean the sticks toward me a tad, grab the sticks with most of my hand and loop a finger over the barrel and keep it all together.

keeping the sticks far forward on the forend is a must. I’ve seen guys put them just forward of the magazine and wonder how they even stay on target.
Credit goes to @One Day... for the geometry lesson.

This year, due to the ammo shortage, I rarely if ever popped a cap on a centerfire rifle, yet my buddy and I took 8 animals at distances out to nearly 300 yards. The secret was the rear extension on the shooting tripod. It's like shooting from a bench. Obviously, the more practice, the better, but this made a heck of a difference for us and more than made up for the worrisome lack of practice.

Check it out in the image below: it's a vertical element that clamps to the rearward-most leg of the tripod and holds the rifle at the wrist. Never had a bigger instant confidence-builder.

IMG_0954.JPG

My other saving grace was a laser-ammo .30-06 kit, which I adapted to my '03 Springfield. I shot off sticks in my own living-room until I was confident in my positions. But, again, nothing like that little gadget that clamps to the tripod.

This year, due to the ammo shortage, I rarely if ever popped a cap on a centerfire rifle, yet my buddy and I took 8 animals at distances out to nearly 300 yards. The secret was the rear extension on the shooting tripod. It's like shooting from a bench. Obviously, the more practice, the better, but this made a heck of a difference for us and more than made up for the worrisome lack of practice.

Check it out in the image below: it's a vertical element that clamps to the rearward-most leg of the tripod and holds the rifle at the wrist. Never had a bigger instant confidence-builder.

View attachment 424533

My other saving grace was a laser-ammo .30-06 kit, which I adapted to my '03 Springfield. I shot off sticks in my own living-room until I was confident in my positions. But, again, nothing like that little gadget that clamps to the tripod.

That is the same effect quad sticks create. Can't beat the stability having the support under the buttstock.
Just came in from playing with a muzzlestuffer. Groups around 3" out to 150 yards, standing with quad sticks. Only does 2" off the bench. Realistically, that is no loss in accuracy at all.
Took a small antelope buck this past Saturday at 295 steps. Sitting, with quad sticks. Felt as solid as sitting at the bench in the backyard. One shot, DRT, with a 25-06 100gr Sierra spitzer.

Ditto all the previous posts.
The scenarios I have experienced are:
1 animal is spotted
2 tracker or PH sets up the sticks
3 hunter moves up to the sticks, rests his rifle, aims
4 hunter pulls the trigger
All this needs to happen within about 5 seconds or the animal moves off. Possibly stopping again for a shot, but in bushveld more likely it disappears.
Time can be critical. JME

Do not pull the trigger if you do not have a good target! You draw blood and you pay. The tracker, PH and likely blood tracking dog will find the animal, but it waists a lot of your hunt time. Always best to wait for a good shot. JMO

TRIGGER TIME, TRIGGER TIME, TRIGGER TIME! You’ll do well I’m sure!

PS, learn where to shoot Africa game. It’s usually a bit forward of most of our North American game. See the examples on AH.

View attachment 424533

You look so European in that get up. Could be Swiss Alps (other than the terrain of course)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ditto all the previous posts.
The scenarios I have experienced are:
1 animal is spotted
2 tracker or PH sets up the sticks
3 hunter moves up to the sticks, rests his rifle, aims
4 hunter pulls the trigger
All this needs to happen within about 5 seconds or the animal moves off. Possibly stopping again for a shot, but in bushveld more likely it disappears.
Time can be critical. JME

One caveat in regards to steps 2-3. Move to the sticks instantly, the moment it is set up. After moving up to the sticks do not look through the scope (if shooting with one) until you see the animal you are going to shoot over the rifle then aim. Otherwise it can be tough to pick up the animal in distance or foliage.

If you can avoid using your shooting sticks on concrete. When you load your shooting sticks they bend more on a concrete surface and if you don't keep consistent downward pressure throughout your shot and follow thru your groups will suffer greatly.

You look so European in that get up. Could be Swiss Alps (other than the terrain of course)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Born in Switzerland! Good eye!

Before going on my first safari I bought a M-70 safari express, reloading dies and shooting sicks then headed to the range. Found the 375 H&H kicked somewhat but less and less the more I shot. It’s now my favorite rifle too shoot especially off sticks because off the heavy barrel. At the range I had to set up between tables which made it somewhat difficult adjusting for proper height since all of the legs would be in front of the tables which was an issue so I found that placing one leg between my legs kept me safe. Long story short, I found that worked great for finding the proper height and adjusting after shots. While hunting I requested this arrangement. Just grab the back leg, pull it back for proper height, square up, wrap sling around arm and hold out forming a triangle then let it rip. Worked for me.

A little trick I tried: Once you get the sticks set up to fit you, tie a string to each leg to hold them in place. With the legs tied together, they don't shift position and are easier to snap into place.

I had the problem of them shifting due to recoil and I had to keep repositioning them to retain the right height.

Point well taken Newboomer. I mostly was thinking of hunting Africa. I enjoy using the homemade sticks the PH furnishes. Kind of one of the “old Africa” deals. Like the African ax, trackers boiling meat in tin pots and black coffee with hard biscuits after lunch. Just me.

I enjoy using the homemade sticks the PH furnishes. Kind of one of the “old Africa” deals.

I hadn't talked to my outfitter as far as what kind of shooting sticks they used so I made up my own out of yucca flower stems.

To my surprise when I got to Africa I found all the outfitters PH's packing Bog Pods

Where did you hunt? After putting 300 rounds off sticks I rested off of a tree. We closed the distance on a buff that was laying down. It was fairly open but some brush with a tree by it. The PH told me to crawl a few yards then stand behind the tree while he untied and readied the sticks. The buff was getting on to us, stood up then took four so steps toward us. The PH called the shot. I quess a tree could be considered a stick. Frontal heart shot, 30 yards and three death bellows and it was over.

I'm by no means an expert but I have been learning to shoot off sticks from @Royal27. One of the easiest things that demonstrated weight distribution for me was when he said, "Think of it like a 3 point football stance. You want your feet placed similarly shoulder width apart and think of the sticks as your down hand. Distribute weight evenly across your 2 feet and the sticks." Before that tip I was not putting enough weight forward.

I got a set of 4 stable sticks a while ago and I love them. They're quad sticks made of carbon fiber and they're quick to set up and way more stable than any other stick system I've tried. Takes about ten minutes out in the yard to get used to them. They're going to South Africa with me in July. If anyone hasn't tried them I'd highly recommend it. I kinda bought mine on a whim and it was a great decision

We treated ourselves to a set of African Sporting Creations sticks for this trip. The Rigby's look great with the classic shooting sticks. :) So far, the BogPod has stayed in the Pelican case.

Safe hunting

Arn't trigger sticks different from hand held free standing shooting sticks?

i have not yet hunted with sticks yet; however, all of the videos on Cape Buff I have been watching the PH uses hand held free standing shooting sticks.

What is most commonly used by PH's in Africa?

I'm by no means an expert but I have been learning to shoot off sticks from @Royal27. One of the easiest things that demonstrated weight distribution for me was when he said, "Think of it like a 3 point football stance. You want your feet placed similarly shoulder width apart and think of the sticks as your down hand. Distribute weight evenly across your 2 feet and the sticks." Before that tip I was not putting enough weight forward.
THIS works for me, and I think is an indication of different body sizes and height, balance; so different needs for different body types. I'm a scrawny little guy at 5' 10", 170 pounds. I find leaning slightly forward with weight on the Bog Pod and my feet squared up to the target makes for my best shooting with both my Ruger #1 450/400 Nitro and my double 450/400 Nitro.
However, I rest my left hand on the sticks, while gripping the forearm, so not forearm to stick direct contact. It helps when going from sticks to offhand, as not much difference in POI.

I don't hunt out of a blind and hunt some very steep brushy country.I never leave home without my shooting sticks.They make a good walking stick when I am hunting and come in very handy on those long cross canyon shots where no better rest is available.If you get some practice shooting off them before you go out hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg