Politics

Chesty Puller wasn't the flag officer who demanded the battle of Peleliu (to secure an imaginary flank)- it was the guy who a few years later ordered soldier in summer uniforms to pursue North Koreans into a Winter whiteout and a Chinese ambush.

and I have had my issues addressed, at least I recognize the issues as opposed to those who are in denial.
@Red Leg took the high road and granted that you may have been attempting humor. We’re you?

Oh my, another dad of a lifer'n A-hole.

and for @Red Leg how many general's got their star for sending troops on meaningless suicide missions to increase their promotion review stats?
You're a classless person and I'm ashamed to be in the same medium with you.
If moderators have any decency you should be banned out of here.

Chesty Puller wasn't the flag officer who demanded the battle of Peleliu (to secure an imaginary flank)- it was the guy who a few years later ordered soldier in summer uniforms to pursue North Koreans into a Winter whiteout and a Chinese ambush.

and I have had my issues addressed, at least I recognize the issues as opposed to those who are in denial.
You definitely need help.

I frankly have no clue what your grievances or personal demons are. Or what it is that people seem to have in "denial" that so bothers you.

I realize that the Corps long ago canonized Puller. I absolutely agree that Peleliu was an unnecessary invasion - for that we can largely thank MacArthur and Roosevelt. But that invasion was no more unnecessary than Rupertus's operational decisions and Puller's tactics at Umurbrogol Ridge that cost the first regiment more than 50% casualties in unrelenting frontal assaults against dug-in Japanese positions rather than call in, God forbid, the 81st Infantry Division, United States Army, for support.

Fortunately for what was left of the 1st, General Roy Geiger ( a truly outstanding wartime USMC General Officer), who was the overall landing forces commander, came ashore, assessed the situation, and ordered in the 81st Division’s 321st Regimental Combat Team, relieving the remnants of the 1st Marine Regiment.

Most of the operational blame belongs to Rupertus who desperately wanted to maintain an all Marine Corps show on the island - however many lives it took. But Puller's tactics also have received well deserved criticism. The 1st Battalion of the 1st Regiment suffered a 71 percent casualty rate; only 74 men from nine rifle companies were left standing; not in heroic defense, but in unimaginative frontal assaults against a tenacious, well fortified enemy. Was it because Puller was chasing a star, he was incompetent, or he wouldn't question Rupertus? Who knows.

I would simply observe that sometimes even hero's and saints make make mistakes that cost men's lives whether they are squad leaders, company and regimental commanders, or division commanding generals. Puller's later actions at Chosin are deservedly the thing of legend.

As @mdwest notes, there are good and bad apples in every profession. I have obvious biases, but I believe that the services do a pretty good job of selecting the most deserving to be flag officers. Perhaps the most glaring error in modern times was Mark Clark who commanded American forces in Italy (you can find plenty on google). Another, I personally believe that was similarly badly appointed, was Tommy Franks who commanded CENTCOM at the time of the Iraqi and Afghanistan invasions.

But for each of these flawed personalities, there are many other extraordinary leaders who have, on the whole, done pretty well in preparing and leading America's greatest assets, this nation's soldiers, airmen, and marines, in war. They worked their way up through a pretty tough profession where merit was rewarded and incompetence rarely tolerated.

I too would recommend "Once an Eagle" by Anton Myrer (the '76 mini-series is pretty bad). Whether West Pointer, ROTC, or OCS, I personally knew far more graduates of the Sam Damon school of command than I did that of Courtney Massengale.

Last edited:
@Red Leg thank you for your timely and articulate comments-

I wonder if the Russian generals give any consideration for the lives of those soldiers who you have provided visual links to regarding the effects of battle strategies.

1000022079.jpg

@Red Leg thank you for your timely and articulate comments-

I wonder if the Russian generals give any consideration for the lives of those soldiers who you have provided visual links to regarding the effects of battle strategies.
I suspect very little at all.

This is a clip proudly posted by a Russian showing treatment by Russian officers of accused drug users or slackers (remember the Russian Army has no true professional NCO corps). A rather different appreciation of human dignity and due process.

I originally heard that from a Command Sergeant Major briefing his charges about Code Pink protestors prior to attending an AUSA convention in DC. That would have been 2001. No telling where he heard it - but not from him. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Current situation in northern Gaza.

1700618497441.png

Flying in military is a serious job.
No one will lower standards for that job diversity or not.
Yes the standards are lowered for recruiting but not for pilot training and the ones who are not qualified will wash out.
Kara Hultgren could not be reached for comment...

DEI is not simply "diversity" DEI is a policy of "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion".. which sounds on the surface like it would be something positive/good..

The problem is when you start looking at how DEI has been applied and even demanded to be executed.. there is little about it that is equitable or inclusive.. it intentionally gives "extra" consideration to some people, and less consideration to others..

Where DEI goes wrong is when it is used to force "diversity" as a priority over competence and experience...

DEI is a proven flawed/failed strategy.. large, liberal investment firms like Blackrock have driven more companies off a cliff than can be counted by demanding DEI commitments that are simply ridiculous and nonsensical.. but meet your numbers and obtain the proper rating.. OR ELSE!

I knew the business world was headed for a shit storm far worse than its been through previously when I attended a program at Univ of Penn's Wharton School a few years back.. titled "Boards that Lead"...

The purpose of the course was to provide information to board members of large scale companies, as well as would be board members hoping to transition from executive roles into board positions about critical decisions boards should be making, where boards should be focusing their strategic efforts for next several years, etc..

I can summarize the entirety of the curriculum, taught by what many consider to be the best business school on the planet, in a single paragraph..

If you want to be successful as a board, you must hire more LBGTQ+, and you must hire more minorities, and you must hire more women, even if they lack experience, lack knowledge, and lack skills. These people will bring diverse thinking to the table. Which is more valuable to you than knowledge, skills, and experience.

A complete load of horseshit..

So much a load of horseshit, the COO of Grindr, the LBGTQ+ online dating app/website who was among the student group even got frustrated with the team of lecturers and started calling them out for their absolutely ridiculous statements..

If all things are otherwise equal.. youve got 2x Harvard MBA's sitting in front of you, both with 10 years of industry experience, both with proven track records of success... would hiring the guy/gal that is a hindu rather than a baptist be the better call? or would hiring the openly gay guy/gal be the better call?

perhaps? MAYBE there is an argument for diversity in that case.. certainly having a diverse group of people that look at a complex problem differently and potentially come up with new/different solutions is a good thing...

But does that demanded diversity meet your corporate culture requirements? Is this person actually going to benefit your business? Or are they going to be a detriment?
Who here thinks hiring Dylan Mulvaney to be the face of an advertising campaign for Bud Light was a smart business decision?

When youve got a Harvard MBA with 10 years experience and a proven track record of success who happens to be a 35 year old white male Christian... and a HS educated, 2 years of experience, only moderately successful person who happens to be a black female lesbian atheist to chose from..

the choice is clear...

yet.. much of society.. to include the military on many accounts... is making the exact opposite choice.. because Blackrock, George Soros, MSNBC, and the Wharton School (among others) have told them thats the right thing to do..

You'd hope senior executives in major corporations, flag officers in the military, and SES employees in government would have enough balls to stand up and demand that their organizations do the right thing as opposed to allowing their organizations fall victim to yet another social experiment.. that they would want the highest possible performance from their people, and be completely blind to what color, sex, age, race, religion, etc.. anyone is... the only question that really needs to be asked is.. "is this person the best person available for the mission at hand?"...

but clearly in many cases they do not..
The old quota system reicarnated. Didn't work then and doesn't now and never will.

My BIL was an engineer for Boeing, then Lockheed. he said that it was part of every contract including projects such as the Skunkworks that a percentage of employees needed to be minority. so there were always a bunch of minorities standing around in the breakroom or outside. They had no duties other than to show up and be on the payroll. It's nothing new as that was about 40 years ago.

It makes a person wonder what the real target of the car bomb was.

We probably need to give credit to an alert CBP agent(s) (who is probably dead) for not letting the bomb into the country and to a more significant event.

This was on Facebook on November 11, 2023.
IMG_0119.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg

Our Dictator shrugged it off, he is so incompetent! When I fly back to Canada I am always thinking that the fox in charge of the henhouse, as all the people working border security are from countries that breed the most terrorists. This bombing at the Rainbow bridge is Justin Trudeau’s fault with his open border policy.

Hooray for Argentina.............you took a chance, but then, things can't go on the way they have been. Vast natural resources, educated work force, yet progressively poorer. Time for change. Like America, they will hate Milei, the media will lie and lie about him, they will try to imprison him, but hopefully, he can drain the swamp. Drenar el pantano, amigos. One of my favorite Countries........wish them well, gonna visit again soon..........Bueno suerte.............FWB
Well Bill......I know you love my Country and let me tell you something......
Since sunday night We got a new elected President.......

His name is Javier Milei......far right......freedom is comming.....

I hope to have the chance to see Argentina great some day in a close future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENNNadine8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you