Politics

1700927957186.png

1700941431654.png

Omg
Canada !!
Why does medical stuff cost so much USA?

It actually doesn’t, at least not in my experience. Having lived in Canada and the USA, I can assure you that the US system is far superior and not nearly as expensive as the politicians would like you to believe.

Omg
Canada !!

Bit of exaggeration in the meme. But as in all good memes, a lot of truth.

Australia has a Medicare levy tax
So even the poorest people can get first class medical treatment

Australia has a Medicare levy tax
So even the poorest people can get first class medical treatment

Yeah, that’s what they tell the Canadians too. I hope it works in Australia, it seriously does not in Canada.

Omg
Canada !!

The MSRP for medical care is extremely high in the US but the amount actually paid is much lower. As a faculty member involved with University policy regarding faculty benefits, we would negotiate a discount of 75-80 percent with most providers.
The same is true of University tuition. The tuition at my school is nearly $60,000 but the average discount is 58 percent through grants and scholarships so the actual amount paid is around $25,000.
I just had a triple bypass. The hospital billed $455,000. The amount they actually received was a bit over $20,000. My share was $255. Because I am a geezer on Medicare the hospital receives the Medicare standard payment. Of course the hospital loses on me and has to make it up with non-Medicare patients. If I was under 65 and not on Medicare the hospital would get around $100,000 after discounts.

The MSRP for medical care is extremely high in the US but the amount actually paid is much lower. As a faculty member involved with University policy regarding faculty benefits, we would negotiate a discount of 75-80 percent with most providers.
The same is true of University tuition. The tuition at my school is nearly $60,000 but the average discount is 58 percent through grants and scholarships so the actual amount paid is around $25,000.
I just had a triple bypass. The hospital billed $455,000. The amount they actually received was a bit over $20,000. My share was $255. Because I am a geezer on Medicare the hospital receives the Medicare standard payment. Of course the hospital loses on me and has to make it up with non-Medicare patients. If I was under 65 and not on Medicare the hospital would get around $100,000 after discounts.
Me, too. Being an old fart on Medicare and a military retiree with Tricare everything is free.. A $70,000 shoulder replacement cost me nothing. My only out of pocket expense is a small copay for meds through Expresscripts.

Healthcare is just like any other product: it is subject to supply & demand. Unlike other products the demand curve is flat since people don't want a procedure unless it's needed; and the supply (aka medical staff) is vertical since the time & effort to become a provider (doctor) does not change (in the near term,years). As population increases due to immigration and longer lives, the demand increases. Merely giving everyone insurance only answers the payment issue, nothing for the availability issue.
So if you want medical services at a reasonable price, get rid of for-profit insurance companies and legislate for more medical schools that in addition to fully trained doctors provide specialized providers who can do a few things very well without the years and years of medical school.
One only need look to the amount of medical school graduates compared to the number of law school graduates to see the source of the supply problem.

Good VDH video if you have a few minutes.

The loyal Trump sites were lauding his reception at the Clemson game yesterday - until suddenly they weren't any longer :unsure: (for you Yankees and other foreigners that is in red South Carolina) . I suspect this would have been a different crowd in '20. Some of the true believers should perhaps pay attention. :E Head Scratch: It is hardly just the band, and I would describe the reception as decidedly mixed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JunkoCarve

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!