Politics

How many of my tax dollars went to the making of this video? Serious question. I guess I shouldn't be too mad about it; the USN has a drag queen for a recruitment tool.
It was probably shot on an iPhone and edited together in less time than it took to film. "Videography" is hardly recognizable to me now, having studied it nearly 20 years ago. Children literally produce video these days, and for essentially free.

My late father served in Tobruk; injured early on during a (night) assault on the German lines; my Hero.
To enhance the family performance during WW2, my "to become" mother served as an aircraft plotter in Townsville during the battle of Coral Sea, she spoke of dozens, if not hundreds of flights out from the Townsville area over a few days; mainly B25s, I think ...

no one is winning. The people who are really loosing out though is civilians
I really have little patience with that sort of sermonizing. Yes, civilians are paying a terrible price because Ukraine was invaded by a powerful neighbor. And rather than simply submit to being vassals of Putin, those civilians who could took up arms to defend their right to self determination. Others have kept their economy going. Like during the Blitz in Britain, still others have risked and too often lost their lives fighting fires, repairing electric and water infrastructure, and searching for survivors in shattered apartment buildings left by Russian cruise missiles and drones. Still others were tortured and murdered by Russian troops who have too often behaved like barbarians.

Yes, they are paying a terrible price and yet support for their battle not to become slaves of the Russian state remains overwhelming. To date they have totally frustrated Russian war aims. They have retaken large swaths of territory initially seized, preserved their capital and are preparing a major counteroffensive.

The Ukrainian people, like others throughout history have decided to not go away quietly into the darkness. It is the sort of crucible, like the American Revolution, upon which a nation can truly be formed. I believe they are absolutely winning.

In August of 2022 Tucker Carlson stated, and others who objected to NATO support of Ukraine and the imposition of economic sanctions on Russia agreed, that Europe was on the precipice of a new "Dark Age" - that the loss of access to cheap Russian natural gas would "destroy" European industry, economies, and quality of life. :unsure: :unsure:

gas1.png

Last edited:
In August of 2022 Tucker Carlson stated, and others who objected to NATO support of Ukraine and the imposition of economic sanctions on Russia agreed, that Europe was on the precipice of a new "Dark Age" - that the loss of access to cheap Russian natural gas would "destroy" European industry, economies, and quality of life. :unsure:

View attachment 536324

I gave up on Tucker quite some time ago. He is as guilty of driving a personal agenda in his coverage as any of the far left wing nuts we complain about.

To enhance the family performance during WW2, my "to become" mother served as an aircraft plotter in Townsville during the battle of Coral Sea, she spoke of dozens, if not hundreds of flights out from the Townsville area over a few days; mainly B25s, I think ...
My father was a bombardier/navigator on B-25's but with the 12th Bomb Group in the China/Burma Theater of Operations. Flew 74 missions and was shot down twice (fortunately both successful forced landings).

“I’ve never seen any soldiers, including our own, that are as fast at integrating technologies and new ideas” Gen. Ben Hodges

“I’ve never seen any soldiers, including our own, that are as fast at integrating technologies and new ideas” Gen. Ben Hodges

Ben worked for me when he was a "young" Lieutenant Colonel in the Office of the Chief of Legislative Liaison. He was a very able officer who finished his career as a Lieutenant General Commanding the United States Army Europe from 2014-17. He began the US supported part of the transformation of the Ukrainian Army following Crimea. He knows of what he speaks.

Swamp Rat McCarthy, doing swamp Rat things.
Yes and no. I know the right wing blogs are screaming about it, but what leverage did he actually have? He was trying to get concessions on matters that are already law. No responsible elected official is going to actually put the country in default - it has never happened before and no one with any sense is eager to see what would happen. It is somewhat remarkable that he was able to get anything.

The Freedom Caucus doesn't want a default either, but the deal likely will have enough support that they many of them can safely vote against it and do a lot of posturing.

Reintroducing some work requirements for social services, to include food stamps, could be the most important part of the bill.

The freeze on discretionary spending - including defense - during an inflationary period is not particularly good news from my perspective. A freeze is actually a cut due to inflation. The big bill payer will be defense. It will mean a number of modernization programs will have to be extended or canceled. The one adds costs - often enormous ones - and the other is throwing money away.

Frustrating. But it is not because republican representatives are somehow traitors. It is because they only own the house (barely) and the democrats have the senate and the presidency. Had my party been a little more careful in its candidate selections for senate, we would never have reached this point.

Last edited:
As I said somewhere along this long and winding post, the US was never going to default. That much was always certain. What was in question from the beginning was whether anything meaningful could be gained by the Republicans in exchange for an increase to the debt limit. @redleg has described the political landscape accurately. Barely controlling the House is not a strong position from which to dictate. So the debt limit has been increased. Some minor concessions on spending were reached. Yawn.

The political door is wide open for the Republicans to walk through next election. The President is weak. There are no electable Democrat candidates for the job. The public is weary of the woke movement. If Republicans can just avoid the trap of nominating unelectable candidates, we can right the ship.

I really have little patience with that sort of sermonizing. Yes, civilians are paying a terrible price because Ukraine was invaded by a powerful neighbor. And rather than simply submit to being vassals of Putin, those civilians who could took up arms to defend their right to self determination. Others have kept their economy going. Like during the Blitz in Britain, still others have risked and too often lost their lives fighting fires, repairing electric and water infrastructure, and searching for survivors in shattered apartment buildings left by Russian cruise missiles and drones. Still others were tortured and murdered by Russian troops who have too often behaved like barbarians.

Yes, they are paying a terrible price and yet support for their battle not to become slaves of the Russian state remains overwhelming. To date they have totally frustrated Russian war aims. They have retaken large swaths of territory initially seized, preserved their capital and are preparing a major counteroffensive.

The Ukrainian people, like others throughout history have decided to not go away quietly into the darkness. It is the sort of crucible, like the American Revolution, upon which a nation can truly be formed. I believe they are absolutely winning.
There is also far less collateral damage today than in WW II style pattern bombling.

There is also far less collateral damage today than in WW II style pattern bombling.
With respect to strikes against Ukraine's strategic infrastructure, that is correct. However, the Russians fight very differently than we do. They have no compunction about destroying cities along the line of contact. Even there, US forces attempt to cause as little collateral damage as possible.

Secondly, Russian precision strikes have been anything but compare to US weapons. Just two days ago, they managed to miss a target and center a psychiatric hospital.

Bahhmut - Before and after

Mariupol - a city of half a million people.

Dnipro

Everywhere

Image1685320387.470737.jpg

No additional commentary needed…

Its been 48 years since I have been on a warship, but I believe this one is in the worse outward condition I have ever seen.
I wonder if they still use red lead primer. I've seen ships come into port looking like that but never leaving. Who knows could of been order out sooner than expected.

I wonder if they still use red lead primer. I've seen ships come into port looking like that but never leaving. Who knows could of been order out sooner than expected.
Red lead was what we painted the aft end of the ship with after a missle launch burned all the paint off. It was rust proof, I am convinced you could paint salt water with it. California was able to ruin any product that once contained lead and the only way to be guaranteed lead is actually in a product is to get food from China. Red lead on steel and zinc chromate on aluminum. 40 years ago the world made more sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,