Please talk me out of this...

This is not the "Responsible Personal Finance Forum"

If so, we would all be content with a couple of guns for local game and never travel far from home.

If you want it - BUY IT!

Damn the torpedoes!

Now, Tom.

You weren't really asking us to talk you out of it. You were really going, "Look at what I'm going to give myself for Christmas this year! Neener, neener, neener!"

My only ask, is have them send you photos as it goes through the production process and share them with us so we can drool in our brown water!

Congratulations,

John

I was recently at the Chapuis factory in France, and I had a chance to play with their diminutive RGEX double rifles. For some reason, the trim 28-ga round action, together with the niceness of the wood and the compact barrel size (something I normally do NOT like compared to a longer barrel/shorter forend combination) really intrigued me.

Also, the idea of owning a double rifle in a small caliber like 7x57R, 8x57R or .30-06 kind of makes me want one, especially because I can get it at a substantial discount and I can have it regulated for whatever ammo I choose.

Am I crazy for wanting one? It would be my second new double and may make a fun overall non-dangerous-game number--but on the other hand, I could use that money for another few animals in Africa for either this year or 2023. This is where my disease for collecting rifles gets me into trouble...

View attachment 466020
Get one but in at least 375

Well, so far the only calibers they offer in the smaller models are 9.3x74R, 8x57R, .30-30, and upon request .30-06, .30 Blaser, 7x57R and 6.5x57R. I'd probably go with either the .30-06 or one of the x57s. What I like about the 8x57R is that most commercial offerings (for which it would be regulated) are for the 196gr bullet. Sellier & Bellot also offers two loads in 7x57R with a 170+gr bullet. Tempting.

BTW, you guys are no help talking me out of it! :ROFLMAO:
With this dilemma, the only reasonable solution is to get one in 30-06, one in 8x57R, and one in 30-30. After you decide which one to keep, put the 8x57R in a classified here, and PM me about the 30-30 :A Shades:

I have just sold my Chapuis X4 in 8x57IRS which is quite similar in weight and dimensions, it was a very nice gun, light and nice quality/looks also good to be able to regulate it with screws like the Blasers and Krieghoffs. Unfortunately since we have quite strict laws in Sweden with regards to the number of guns we are allowed to have (4-6) I had to sell it to make place for my incoming double in .375 Flanged Magnum. But it was a really nice gun and I think that the RGEX is even nicer when it comes to wood/engraving. The weight of the X4 was about 2,9 kg/6,3 Ibs and 55 cm/21 inch barrels, so very easy to carry. If it wasnt for the limitations of the number of guns it would still be in my gun cabinet :)

20210304_095236.jpg
20210609_131123.jpg
IMG_20210702_074319_272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a couple double double safaris. 2015 450NE and 9.3x74 2018 577BPE and 450/400 so I highly recommend that option. On the small double side I made the mistake of going into William Larkin and Moore last year to pickup a shirt and say hi and a Heym 55 7x65 followed me out the door. They also had a 7x57 RGEX but the Heym fit me better. So I would say get the RGEX in either a 7x57 or 7x65 and take it fo PG and you bigger double for DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!