Plains Games Optics Advice

@Hermes: Might I suggest you do a search for Rigby Highland Stalker here? You will see how different scopes look on the rifle. Also a YouTube search will show several examples on the various rifle reviews. If I recall correctly, Stevie has a Leica on the Highland Stalker promotional video done a few years back.

Safe shooting

Hi Hermes,

Agree with Sika98k about Meopta R2 scopes!! Great ones. I forgot them!
Any one of this two: the 1,7-10x42 or the 2-12x50 would be perfect all around scopes for a stalking 7x57 rifle!!

Good luck!

CF

I have a bunch of different scopes - swaro Z3, Z5, Z6, Z8i, Kahles, Leica, Zeiss and there is so little difference in glass quality I’d be full of crap if I said there was a clear winner in quality. There is some difference in weight - I chose a Z3 for my lightweight stalking rifle because it’s the most compact and lightest. I have Z6 and Z8 on my DG rifles. Leica makes some great scopes but they are considerably heavier than the swaros. Kahles has some lighter scopes that are the same quality as the swaros - I can’t tell any difference in the glass between the brands - might be same.
You have some great choices listed. For a PG rifle I would select a 3-10 Z3 - plenty of scope for what your doing

Specific to the highland stalker, I think it looks great with a straight tube scope. I would lean toward the Swarovski Z8 1-8x24. My highland stalker is in 9.3x62. It used to wear the Z8, but be aware that the large eyepiece diameter of the Z8 will force you to use medium rings. I mounted a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 which works well and allowed me to use low rings for a better cheek weld.

I think you need the quality at the higher powers...one mark of a "too cheap" scope is lessened performance/resolution at the higher powers--same with spotting scopes. Only you can decide if you will ever use a 16x, but remember, there is always the lower end on a variable, AND, if you do need it, you will have the higher power.

Specific to the highland stalker, I think it looks great with a straight tube scope. I would lean toward the Swarovski Z8 1-8x24. My highland stalker is in 9.3x62. It used to wear the Z8, but be aware that the large eyepiece diameter of the Z8 will force you to use medium rings. I mounted a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 which works well and allowed me to use low rings for a better cheek weld.

I’ve been leaning toward either the z8 1-8 or the z6 1.7-10x42. But I would like to use low rings and gotta see if the Z6 would allow that or if it has to be a 1” tube for that to happen. Or even if it’s a big deal at all having medium rings

I have a bunch of different scopes - swaro Z3, Z5, Z6, Z8i, Kahles, Leica, Zeiss and there is so little difference in glass quality I’d be full of crap if I said there was a clear winner in quality. There is some difference in weight - I chose a Z3 for my lightweight stalking rifle because it’s the most compact and lightest. I have Z6 and Z8 on my DG rifles. Leica makes some great scopes but they are considerably heavier than the swaros. Kahles has some lighter scopes that are the same quality as the swaros - I can’t tell any difference in the glass between the brands - might be same.
You have some great choices listed. For a PG rifle I would select a 3-10 Z3 - plenty of scope for what your doing

If glass isn’t a factor since they will all be top notch then I guess it comes to weight and how it mounts. Ideally would want it to be a lightweight set up and the Z6 is roughly 1 lb so I think on that front it might be good. The z3 is nice but I do wanna get something illuminated.

@Hermes: Might I suggest you do a search for Rigby Highland Stalker here? You will see how different scopes look on the rifle. Also a YouTube search will show several examples on the various rifle reviews. If I recall correctly, Stevie has a Leica on the Highland Stalker promotional video done a few years back.

Safe shooting

This place is a great resource. I’ve checked out almost everything on the HS here and it is very helpful. I don’t know if Stevie is the same person as reg leg but he did mention somewhere a few years ago that he thought a 1.7-10x42 would be good for this set up. Which I wouldn’t mind.

I would go with either a Leica or Zeiss scope in 30mm. Europe is 30mm and you are purchasing a European gun. 1” is North American.

You will want Swarovski “Approaching Distance” Z8i 3.5-28X. There is NO scope that compares. It’s like cheating!

Swarovski z5 3.5-18 x 42. I have had the 30 mm tube and they are noticeably heavier. This scope is a 1 inch tube. You can see 33 caliber bullet holes at 500 yards.

Swarovski owns Kahles, so your eyes are better than most.

If glass isn’t a factor since they will all be top notch then I guess it comes to weight and how it mounts. Ideally would want it to be a lightweight set up and the Z6 is roughly 1 lb so I think on that front it might be good. The z3 is nice but I do wanna get something illuminated.

Yes you want illuminated. There is no disadvantage to more magnification! If you need it, it is there.
I just had a client in safari with me with a 1x6 scope on a .375. He missed then wounded his croc. It was totally due to this low mag scope with heavy duplex. Yes he was hunting buff and ele but also croc. You need versatility so you are ready for any situation.
Your budget justifies the Z8 and you can’t get better.

You choices on scopes will all work. The 8x high end is enough for you to shoot out to 300. I am not the guy to ask about weight as I prefer a rifle that is a traditional walnut stocked and little heavier than than your typical rifle with a non wood stock. Tome a proper fit and balance trumps lite weight. But as @Philip Glass pointed out that some recitals are better suited for larger game. If your list of game you plan on hunting is smaller (genets, mongoose, and croc brain) you might want a bit more magnification.

Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42mm is about as good as you can get. On 1.7 you can make a shot at 10 yards no problem at all and still have the magnification for 400 yard. I do not like the fact it has no parallax adjustment. For what you are trying to accomplish it will fit your needs well. If you want to spend more time beyond 150 yards I would step up to the 2x16. You will NOT loose much on the low end of the scale. Personally rather have the upper end of magnification, my eye are not what they used to be. That is the whole point of the Z8 line, you have the best of both worlds with a tradeoff of a little added weight.

I don't shoot fine shotguns or participate in driven hunts, so the little less weight for handling would be lost on me. Meaning I don't have the recognition to pick up on the benefit. Sometimes we hear something that sounds great to our mind not evaluating what we are actually going to with said decision.

Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42mm is about as good as you can get. On 1.7 you can make a shot at 10 yards no problem at all and still have the magnification for 400 yard. I do not like the fact it has no parallax adjustment.

Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 does have parallax adjustment.

Image1662912873.103750.jpg

I have the swaro z8i 2 - 16 x 50 currently on my 6.5 x55 (and .223) barrelled Blaser and it is a first rate hunting scope - bit heavy, but it would still be ideal on your Rigby for the bush

I’ve just ordered the z8i 1 - 8 x 24 for the 404 Jeff barrel (which is almost ready) as it will not be used beyond 200 yards and is also a close up scope for DG

it will also be used in snap shooting heavy calibre shooting comps where I hope to win the trophy for “all the gear and no idea”

I have the RD 20 red dot for the 458 Lott Blaser barrel that has just been ordered

@Opposite Pole thanks for that. The one I looked at did not have it, that was back in 2020 is yours newer by chance?

I bought it in 2021, not sure when it was made though.
I think I am going to buy this same scope. Just bought a Christensen ridgeline for out west hunting. I shot a Swarovski similar to this when I went to Africa with Nick Bowker. It was the best scope I have ever hunted with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg