Mtgoat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
The booking form for my Namibian plains game safari called for a 50% deposit. That seems normal, based on my experience with hunts in the US and Canada. However, when I asked for details so I could wire the deposit, the answer that I got was "your dates are booked if it will be easier for you to send some money ahead of time then by all means you can send some money over."

The total cost of the hunt plus tips and money for my wife to go shopping would be a sizable sum. I don't like carrying that much cash. (My life is mostly cashless.) Therefore, I will want to wire some money to them.

How should I pay for the remaining balance? When should I pay? I've found it common for outfitters in North America to want the final payment prior to the start of the hunt (seems reasonable).

Assuming that I make the final payment after I arrive, what form should it be? (I could have another wire transfer sent once I arrive in camp.)

Assuming that I make the final payment after I arrive, what form should it be? (I could have another wire transfer sent once I arrive in camp.)

That will take care of it. You feel safer and your outfitter gets paid.
Or send it the same day you depart (or have someone else form home do it)

Terms of payment are usually negotiated beforehand. Clarify and specify this with your outfitter.

It's really a matter of what your outfitter wants and what you are comfortable with. Typically, most outfitters will require 50% of all daily rates as part of the deposit to lock in dates. They will then typically settle all accounts on the last day after the hunt is complete.

On my first trip, I paid for the entire hunt in advance and it worked out ok. A couple of years later my dad went hunting with a different outfitter and had a nasty fight with him over refund of a trophy fee. He paid for the entire hunt in advance and did not end up killing the cape buffalo he paid for. He ended up getting a partial refund, but that experience should serve as a warning to make sure you have everything in writing before the hunt to ensure that there is no confusion if you do not take a species that you pay for.

Last year I went on a dangerous game hunting trip to Zimbabwe and remembering the lessons from my father's bad experience, I only paid for the daily rates in advance. However, this meant I had to carry several thousand dollars in cash on to Zimbabwe. Everything worked out ok; I took my buffalo and non-trophy elephant and paid for everything with no issues. However, I felt very nervous carrying all of that cash. The other alternative to this situation would be to carry traveler's checks. In Zimbabwe this is not necessarily a good option because due to the chaos in the government and banking systems, it can take the outfitter many months to actually receive that money in their bank. I would recommend using traveler's checks in other countries, like South Africa or Namibia for instance.

The bottom line is to make sure you have this discussion with your outfitter before the hunt. I personally would recommend paying for your daily rates in advance and pay for your trophy fees after the hunt is complete.

The bottom line is to make sure you have this discussion with your outfitter before the hunt. I personally would recommend paying for your daily rates in advance and pay for your trophy fees after the hunt is complete.
That is really good advice.

The other thing you can do, if you pick the right outfitter is leave your money with a representive of the company in the USA.....and he or she pays for your hunt costs with the money you deposited with them at the end of the hunt via wiring the money. I like that option the best, it keeps everyone honest.

We are headed to RSA in a week and I recently went through this. I am arranging for a wire to be sent near the end of my trip for about 75% of what I expect to owe my outfitter and then am taking traveler's checks for the balance. I will have cell service at the camp and internet access, so I can cntact my bank if anything changes.

It's really a matter of what your outfitter wants and what you are comfortable with. Typically, most outfitters will require 50% of all daily rates as part of the deposit to lock in dates. They will then typically settle all accounts on the last day after the hunt is complete.

On my first trip, I paid for the entire hunt in advance and it worked out ok. A couple of years later my dad went hunting with a different outfitter and had a nasty fight with him over refund of a trophy fee. He paid for the entire hunt in advance and did not end up killing the cape buffalo he paid for. He ended up getting a partial refund, but that experience should serve as a warning to make sure you have everything in writing before the hunt to ensure that there is no confusion if you do not take a species that you pay for.

Last year I went on a dangerous game hunting trip to Zimbabwe and remembering the lessons from my father's bad experience, I only paid for the daily rates in advance. However, this meant I had to carry several thousand dollars in cash on to Zimbabwe. Everything worked out ok; I took my buffalo and non-trophy elephant and paid for everything with no issues. However, I felt very nervous carrying all of that cash. The other alternative to this situation would be to carry traveler's checks. In Zimbabwe this is not necessarily a good option because due to the chaos in the government and banking systems, it can take the outfitter many months to actually receive that money in their bank. I would recommend using traveler's checks in other countries, like South Africa or Namibia for instance.

I am off to Zimbabwe in 7 days on a buffalo/ plains game hunt with 2 others. We all paid our 50% of the day rate as deposit and guarantee our hunt. We all paid the day rate 100% months ago. Our PH is on our backs to take/bring plenty of cash with us( talking over $10000usd), to take care of trophy fees, and tips.
I too am used to a cashless society. We all paid our day rates by electronic transfer into the booking agents account.The other problem is that you can't take more than $10000 out of Australia ( customs think you are a drug dealer).

What has brought the alarm bells on is the PH is telling us to bring cash, and lots of it to settle accounts when hunt is finished, whilst the booking agent says the contrary. Booking Agent says we can all pay by electronic transfer when we get back home after hunt is finished???
has anyone else had this story or drama??

What has brought the alarm bells on is the PH is telling us to bring cash, and lots of it to settle accounts when hunt is finished, whilst the booking agent says the contrary. Booking Agent says we can all pay by electronic transfer when we get back home after hunt is finished???
has anyone else had this story or drama??

Tell the PH Outfitter and Agent to get their act together now. This kind of misunderstanding needs to be addressed now.
Why are they not on the same page?

There are many cases of a trusted professional agent holding the money in trust and paying for the trophies killed after the hunter has authorized payment upon return.

Did you pay the day rates through the agent or to the outfitter directly?

Seems to me the PH Outfitter and Agent don t trust each other, as they both want to get their hands on your money !

Day rates were paid to the Agent directly. Which is what we are going to do with Trophy Fee's after our hunt is finished. The only cash we are taking is for tips and taxes, all 3 of us are not comfortable carrying a huge amount of cash around with us.
I have gotten in touch with the PH and told him what the Agent told us about payment.. There was a bit of a pause before he told me that she (booking agent) was correct. The only reason he wanted us to bring heaps of cash was to ensure we were able to obtain a Zimbabwe Visa, on arrival at Bulawayo Airport. Apparently Australian Citizens can get a ZIM visa on arrival but need to show that they have enough funds to support themselves during the stay in Zimbabwe. This was his story and reminded us to fill out the declaration form with Zim Customs.

I am only taking enough cash to pay taxes, tips and to by a pair of Courtney Boots to bring home. I have been told by a bloke I worked with, who was actually from Bulawayo, that there are ATM machines in town that will give a cash advance on your VISA card. So if we need some more cash we can easily get it if we have to on our return after the hunt is finished. ( We fly in and out of Bulawayo).

I have gotten in touch with the PH and told him what the Agent told us about payment.. There was a bit of a pause before he told me that she (booking agent) was correct. The only reason he wanted us to bring heaps of cash was to ensure we were able to obtain a Zimbabwe Visa, on arrival at Bulawayo Airport. Apparently Australian Citizens can get a ZIM visa on arrival but need to show that they have enough funds to support themselves during the stay in Zimbabwe. This was his story and reminded us to fill out the declaration form with Zim Customs.

By the way.
Good job for clearing it up quickly. Nothing worse than uncertainty in the money dealings.

Proof you are looked after can come in the form of a paid in full invoice (day rates) for your entire stay.
I would hope that would be plenty of support.

I am sure that the Zimbabwe government is terrified you are going to enter the country illegally and stay and put an undue burden on the medical and welfare system. It would be a step up from third world Australia, right? :)
Maybe the last group of Aussie hunters got lost in a bar and never left. Just making sure!

You have to show you have enough funds to enter the USA or Canada too, or have really fast feet and know how to wade a river or two.

Since the currency of Zim is USD, I am sure someone will have a couple bucks they can lend you.

Have a great trip.

you must be relieved to have that sorted drew ,
you guys will have an awesome time on your hunt
you have me intrigued with these courteney boots ( I will try a searech )
when ever you use your visa over there there will be a couple of charges each transaction , one will be a conversion charge and for some reason every time you use the visa over seas there will a 17 aud charge aswell
travel well ,hunt hard , be safe , and most of all have fun

I am taking copies of all bank records and all invoices received from the booking agent as proof of payments made.
I would like to think that nothing dodgy is going on. Both the PH and the booking agent company are known amongst the hunting community. We have not heard a bad word said about them, and they are still in business, so must be doing something right? I won't name them now. Some people on this board may know them personally. I will name them after our hunt is finished and I am posting the story of it. Should have plenty of photos too.

I am really looking forward to our hunt. Though we all like a beer, there won't be anything in excess until after we are finished and celebrating. I have worked in Zambia before for a year, the other two men that make up our group are on their "cherry trip" to Africa. I look forward to introducing them to shake-shake.

Yes it is common in zimbabwe for various reasons. Mosr transactions require cash payment. The outfitter mite not have his own hunting area so as soon as the hunt is successful the owner of the area would like payment as some agents have a tendency of not paying landowners am dealing such cases involving 2 south African agents

G
The booking form for my Namibian plains game safari called for a 50% deposit. That seems normal, based on my experience with hunts in the US and Canada. However, when I asked for details so I could wire the deposit, the answer that I got was "your dates are booked if it will be easier for you to send some money ahead of time then by all means you can send some money over."

The total cost of the hunt plus tips and money for my wife to go shopping would be a sizable sum. I don't like carrying that much cash. (My life is mostly cashless.) Therefore, I will want to wire some money to them.

How should I pay for the remaining balance? When should I pay? I've found it common for outfitters in North America to want the final payment prior to the start of the hunt (seems reasonable).

Get a contract/hunting agreement that simple.
My best always
Jaco

The only place I paid a full 50% deposit was in Cameron. Every other hunt I paid a relatively small deposit $2,500 to $5,000 and did a wire when I got home to settle up.

The only place I paid a full 50% deposit was in Cameron. Every other hunt I paid a relatively small deposit $2,500 to $5,000 and did a wire when I got home to settle up.
Add Mozambique and any country that works on a govt license fee and trophy fee, charter flight rifle import limited quota system.

Our terms are very simple as indicated in each hunting contract. 50% deposit on day rates secures the dates. The remainder of day rates + govt license fees payable 60 days prior to commencement of the safari.

Final balance payable upon departure. Should a credit remain it’ll be transferred back into account on day of departure.

I believe there to be consensus between most on here that terms and conditions should be clearly indicated prior to deposit being processed. It keeps everyone clients and outfitters alike on the straight and narrow and ensures that you (the client) can focus on enjoying your safari stress free.

My best always
Jaco Strauss

I’ve hunted Mozambique three times. Never did more then $5,000 down and wired the balance in return stateside.

Small sample but that’s been my experience.

What Jaco has outlined are standard terms based on my experience. I have never had an issue. I do carry quite a bit of cash but always under the $10,000 limit.

We are headed to RSA in a week and I recently went through this. I am arranging for a wire to be sent near the end of my trip for about 75% of what I expect to owe my outfitter and then am taking traveler's checks for the balance. I will have cell service at the camp and internet access, so I can cntact my bank if anything changes.
I didn’t know you could still get travelers checks.

I would say it depends on the type of hunt. Is it a package hunt? If so I’d pay in full before the hunt. If not on a package then an estimate of the total costs or as has been said maybe 75% and take the rest in cash.
I have been fortunate to hunt with really good outfitters and I never had a concern about how and when I paid. Many times I pay by wire after I get home.
PG

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,