Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, IHEA
Hunted
US, Germany, RSA
While doing some research on AH for my upcoming trip to RSA (July 13), I have come across many threads about hunting for a newbie. As this is my first trip I am trying to develop a "packing list" for me and my father (His first trip also). We are trying to avoid the, "I packed WAAAAY to much" syndrome. I have read things like, "pack, then take half out and you will have what you need", "wear your boots on the plane so you don't have to worry about possible lost luggage when you arrive" and "Take cotton" (Which is the opposite for Alaska where the saying is "Cotton Kills") and finally, "take darker colors, not necessarily camo, with long sleeve for the mornings".
Based on some current inputs that I have received from members via PM, we are looking at:
three changes of cloths (wearing one set on the plane ride over)
possible on set of light wear long underwear (silks, ploy pro)
Rain Gear
Fleece type jacket
good boots (already broken in)
camp shoes for back at the lodge
sleeping cloths

We will be in SA (Limpopo District) in July and looking for inputs on how to pack. I live in Alaska, so I am thinking my "winter" gear may be a lot overkill for a South Africa winter hunt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. To those that have already provided me some suggestions, I truly appreciate it!

you dont want to forget power piont adaptors grady the only place you seem to be able to but them is airports otherwise you wont be able to charge your cameras ,phones ,or shavers
i will add to this sooner or later

you dont want to forget power piont adaptors grady the only place you seem to be able to but them is airports otherwise you wont be able to charge your cameras ,phones ,or shavers
i will add to this sooner or later

If using the adapters instead of an inverter make sure your electronics are rated for 220v.

it can be very cold there at that time of the year at night and in the mornings(frost on the ground), and being on the back of a vehicle with the wind factor early morning making it feel even colder isnt much fun if you arent prepared (even further north its bloody cold at night that time of the year, our place in zambia gets down to 3 or 4c at night which surprises people who think africa is hot all the time!!).. the 3 sets of clothing will be fine, use khaki or green colours. the choice between shorts or longs is what you prefer, same with long or short sleeves, you will have a warm coat on in the morning, so again what makes you happy. in july you wont need rain gear. try tagsafari.com to have a look at some clothing, its good hard wearing stuff. with a hat of your choice (base ball types are good for being on the back of a vehicle as they stay on your head better than ones with brims, and it gets to be a pain when you keep having to stop and retrieve a hat all the time).with those things and your boots and camp shoes (boating type are good) you are sorted. then camera, binos, swiss army knife (purely for opening the wine and beer ;) ) a compact good quality torch(couple of spare batteries). box of headache tablets, upset stomach tablets , small box of cut/blister plasters, plus your usual travelling wash stuff ,and any medecines if you need to take on a regular basis. the chargers that come with most electrical goods these days are made to be capable of being used in different countries/voltages (the ones we get this side of the water are anyway) so only the socket adapters should be needed. put all that together and it isnt a lot. . and apart from your rifles/bows its all you will need.

three changes of cloths (wearing one set on the plane ride over)
possible on set of light wear long underwear (silks, ploy pro)
Rain Gear
Fleece type jacket
good boots (already broken in)
camp shoes for back at the lodge
sleeping cloths
I think this is a good start. If your outifitter provides daily laundry service, there's no need to take much. I carried a full set of clothing with me on the plane just in case luggage was lost. The airline didn't lose my luggage they lost my guns, but I got them back for the hunt and that's another story for another time. I would scratch the rain gear...the time of year you're going is not the rainy season and it's quite dry...someone else should confirm this though. The temperature does fluctate signifcantly...it's like desert weather. Very cool in the early morning and late afternoon. So bring clothing you can layer with. The temperature can go from 40'-80' easily. Hope this helps.

I never hunt, guide or even go for a walk in the bush without one of these LED LENSER H7R - LED Headlamp / Forehead Lamp - Article Number 7498 - H Series, or similar, on my cap. There are some really good one's on the market to choose from, but I only use these. It's handy in camp and leaves your hands free if you ever get into a SHTF situation. You can take a pac-a-mac if it makes you feel better, but you won't get much rain in Limpopo in July.

I forgot one thing that I think came in very handy as far as gear goes....a Leupold lens pen. Because it's so dry the dust is just out of control and you'll find you need to clean you scope lenses frequently.

I never hunt, guide or even go for a walk in the bush without one of these LED LENSER H7R - LED Headlamp / Forehead Lamp - Article Number 7498 - H Series, or similar, on my cap. There are some really good one's on the market to choose from, but I only use these. It's handy in camp and leaves your hands free if you ever get into a SHTF situation. You can take a pac-a-mac if it makes you feel better, but you won't get much rain in Limpopo in July.

Docman have a look at the fenix PD 20R5. very small torch with a case that you attach to a belt loop, and has a clip to put on the peak of your cap if you want. its a powerful little sucker with sos and strobe as well.

This is all great info and advice, I believe.

Although I have only been on one single 10 day Safari, I feel that I learned much during that time.

While on Safari in Botswana during the first couple of weeks in August this past year, a cold front brought us temps well below freezing for 2 days straight. I can tell you that riding in the Land Cruiser was brisk indeed. I was glad that I had some decent cooler weather clothing, especially the fleece face mask type head cover.

We quite often found ourselves crawling on hands and knees for considerable distances to creep up on game. This added great fun to the hunt for me, but when I return I will have fabricated something to keep my rifle captured in the center of my back, such as a strap to hold the pistol grip portion of the stock to my belt, etc. so that the rifle that I have slung over my back doesn't constantly slide off my back into the sand. I have seen gadgets sold for this purpose, but I think I can make something that I'll like better.

We quite often found ourselves crawling on hands and knees for considerable distances to creep up on game. This added great fun to the hunt for me, but when I return I will have fabricated something to keep my rifle captured in the center of my back, such as a strap to hold the pistol grip portion of the stock to my belt, etc. so that the rifle that I have slung over my back doesn't constantly slide off my back into the sand. I have seen gadgets sold for this purpose, but I think I can make something that I'll like better.

..something like this also works well..Cabela's: GrovTec Backpack Sling

Docman have a look at the fenix PD 20R5. very small torch with a case that you attach to a belt loop, and has a clip to put on the peak of your cap if you want. its a powerful little sucker with sos and strobe as well.

Seen it, Spike, but over the years I found I prefer the headlamp set-up..just works better for me.
Cheers,
Doc.

All, thanks for the great replies. Definitely a few more notes to add and going to leave out the rain gear.

If using the adapters instead of an inverter make sure your electronics are rated for 220v.

Buy a MAC and just plug it in. :)

You will still need the plug adapter though.

You just made me have a look at my packing list from my last trip.
I'll throw the consolidated version in another reply.

I'll assume you are only hunting one week and staying in the area you are hunting.
South Africa has more climate zones than you can begin to grasp really.
If you are going up Table Mountain and into The Drakensburg you had better have a rain coat.
It is good as a wind breaker in the Baakie.

If you are staying within Limpopo province then YOUR winter gear, coming from Alaska, is way over blown for sure.

It makes a big difference where you live. A fellow coming from summer in Texas or a Summer in Alaska?
You will be used to cooler weather than your Texas compatriot.

To give you perspective: A rain and +8C is like a winter storm to the folks in Natal RSA. I threw on a rain jacket and road in the Baakie. The tracker and the animals were freezing and the critters were hiding in the trees like it was -40C. or -40F. We took a break until the falling water cleared.
+8C/rain in Alaska is a joke.

In Namibia it got to -2C at night. I wore light wool fingerless gloves in the AM and had two shirts I wore and long pants. The rain/windbreaker over top.

Layers do the trick.

I slept in buildings WITHOUT heat in Limpopo. A thin watch cap/toque on at night, wool socks and fleece long underwear and a blanket had me warm and cozy.

If you have laundry daily, why bring the whole wardrobe?
How many cloths do use during a week at home?

Look at the cloths on the folks in your outfitters photo gallery. They will give you a bit of guidance.
everything from quilted jackets to shorts a t shirts!

Historical weather for the area you are going.

Thabazimbi
http://www.accuweather.com/en/za/tha...onyr=7/01/2012

Wear your hunting boots on the airplane so you have them in any case and bring light moccasins to change in to once on board for the long flight. Works great. In addition, I bring a medium sized blow up beach ball to inflate and use to prop my feet up at night in my seat. It's amazing what 4 or 5 inches of lift on your feet can do for comfort.

All, thanks again. This info is perfect.

Some great travel tips can be found in this thread: Travel Tips

In addition to the other suggestions, bring a soft case for your rifle. The hard case is great for your flights and the drive to and from the concession, but a soft case is great for protecting your rifle while driving around the concession during the hunt.

I was glad that I didn't bring my expensive optics and sunglasses...

I brought stuff that I wouldn't mind dragging through the sand and dropping from the land cruiser, etc. and I beat it all up pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg