Frozen6bt

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US
I think i have it figured out but I want to clarify.....

ATL to JNB
Rifle goes in the pelican case with NON-TSA locks.
Ammo goes in it's own cardboard box inside a hard case (with TSA-LOCK ) inside my checked Baggage (with TSA-LOCK.

JNB to ATL
Rifle goes in the pelican case with NON-TSA locks.
Any leftover ammo goes in it's own cardboard box inside a hard case (with TSA-LOCK ) separate from my checked baggage.

I'm getting close and want to make sure I have this all figured out.

24 days, 6 hours and 3 minutes to wheels up........

Are you flying Delta? I don't think Delta requires that silly requirement.

Yes. Flying on Delta. I don't think it's Delta's requirement on the return trip to have ammo in a separate locked case. I think it's a SAP requirement.

I'm not sure now, I thought Delta didn't require that only South Africa Airlines.

I think the main thing is that the ammo travels separately from the guns. The cardboard box thing is intended to make sure you have the ammo securely packed in containers that are meant for holding the ammo. They don't want your rounds bouncing around which is reasonable.

Having your ammo in a separate locked case is acceptable both here in the U.S. and coming back from RSA from what I can tell.

I DO NOT use TSA locks on anything and last years trip went just fine as did my trip in 2010. Make sure your rifle and ammo cases clearly have your name and phone number on them. Get to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Make sure the bag tag they put on your gun and ammo cases has the correct information. If they absolutely must have you show up again at the SAPS office, they'll find you using this information. Delta doesn't just throw your rifle and ammo cases on the conveyor belt, but have someone go with you to ensure the bags are taken to the right place.

When you're within a 1/2 hour or so of departure, go to the airline employees at the gate and politely ask them to check and see if your bags have been loaded. Yes, they can check on this right there at the gate. I found that when you explain to them why, that you're concerned about firearms, they're understanding that your not just concerned that your socks and underwear are going to make it home.

Yes. Flying on Delta. I don't think it's Delta's requirement on the return trip to have ammo in a separate locked case. I think it's a SAP requirement.

Ammo always has to be separate from the firearm.

SAA requirement to have Ammo in its own case and NOT inside baggage.

Last edited:
That is just a bunch of BS, Phil. I hate that stuff.

Ammo does not have to be in a cardboard box. I had my ammo in labeled MTM type plastic boxes inside the TSA locked pelican box. All was well. If you have cardboard boxes they are also good.

Have a great hunt

That is just a bunch of BS, Phil. I hate that stuff.

Agreed, but as I told my wife who was about to blow a head gasket, it was a poor time to fight the fight. We would lose no matter how right we may be.

Hi Frozen

I am not sure what rifle you are taking.

To make things a lot simpler on your return trip, consider the following.

On your return trip, ask your PH if he could use your left over ammo and forget to pack it.

If asked, while checking in about ammo, let them know you shot it all at the range target practicing.

This is one reason i do not pack the full 11 lb of ammo on a African trip.
You will usually not use a box of 20 and that includes the sighting in ammo.

Therefore, i take 2 boxes (40 rounds) on my trips, the exception is if the PH has a rifle that matches mine, then i will take more if they ask me to bring some for them.

Great info, everyone. I'm also a first timer, under 80 days til flight. I surely appreciate all the extra knowledge you all share!

OK,
So it sounds like SAA requires a separate (not just a separate box inside checked baggage) locked box for ammo not Delta. If that's the case, I'm good to go.

22 days and change to go......

OK,
So it sounds like SAA requires a separate (not just a separate box inside checked baggage) locked box for ammo not Delta. If that's the case, I'm good to go.

22 days and change to go......

Are you making any regional flights on SAA after you get to Jo'burg?

LOL! This post confused me even more. I leave Saturday and flying with SAA. SAA's guidelines are:

Acceptance of carriage
Firearms designed for sporting purposes, such as target pistols and safari/hunting rifles, may be carried on South African Airways under the following conditions:

• The firearm must be unloaded and, if possible, dismantled and packed in a suitable lockable firearm case.
  • Firearms will be processed at the firearm desk for safe carriage in the hold of the aircraft.
  • Ammunition (cartridges for weapons) must be securely stored in a lockable container within checked baggage.
  • The maximum weight of the ammunition carried by any single passenger is 5kg (11lb).
  • For transfer and transit passengers who are connecting to onward flights, prior clearance to travel with firearms and ammunition must be obtained from the South African Police Firearm Office at the airport.
I would contact the airline to determine their policy as well as check their policy on their website (just in case the employee you question missed the memo). :)

I just got back from africa flying the same flights as you are going to. on the way back they asked us if we had any explosives packed, the african that was helping us said no, i gave him a funny look, they took the bags and checked them in. after wards i asked him what was up he said they didn't ask about ammo specifically so you don't volunteer the info. ammo isn't explosives he said. i had no problems.

i had my ammo packed in blue plastic ammo boxes and in a locked pelican case. and that was locked in my checked bag. it did have a tsa on it but standard locks on my guns and ammo.

Do not hyperventilate the gun ammo issue. Just got back firs.t trip same concerns as you.... It was a walk in the park with Delta. Pelican case with rifle locked with my padlocks, my key. Non tsa. No problem. Ammo in a locked, my lock , my keys, plastic pistol case in original boxes, although. Mtm plastic would suffice, in my Checked baggage. Arriving SA going thru SAPs never checked ammo at all only serial on rifle, have your paperwork for the in original and triplicate copies, have original in rifle case, hand it to them, smile, shut up, no problem, 20 min wait to process. We did not use anyone to clear us, our PH said save the money spend it on trophy. SAPS personennel very friendly and cooperative. Coming back, checked at a Delta, went to a small room, had or rifle checked by ?, and gave them our original permits from our entry, keep those permits in a safe place, you will tender those when you leave SA. Very friendly people. Not once was we asked about ammo. Into the USA thru customs, rifles are checked against your forms for id, get in line quick, your baggage is caroselled at the rifle check Room nearby. Get your hoots sprayed at agriculture and say goodbye, you are home. The flight we were on had at least 20 hunters, if there are two of you one get in line, the other picks up you baggage, your rifles will be brought to the room by customs, you do not touch them until you go into the room.

Nothing but Delta in and out of JoBerg so it looks like ammo can just get locked up inside a hard case in checked luggage.

Thanks for the advice.

2013 trip no issues at all used TSA licks on everything. Non TSA locks can be cut off for inspection. I used TSA locks on ammo box that was inside checked baggage. 2014 TSA opened that locked box of ammo. If I had non TSA locks they would have cut ......then the case would not be locked and airline does not then have to carry unlocked ammo case. Just buy some cheap TSA locks at Walmart. Don't stress the small stuff....better safe than sorry. Enjoy your trip sir!

Just like areaonereal said, very easy. I went on my first safari and didn't use any one to clear our rifles, I want to say that I spent less time clearing my rifles in RSA than I did in Atlanta. Either way, it was easy. Very good advises here, and use the TSA locks for ammo, my lock got cut, but I had extras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg