Overpriced Reloading Components?

I have two gunshops local to me, one has continued selling at regular prices when he has stock the other is selling at Gunbroker prices. I know who will continue receiving my business in the future and which will not. It’s my choice where I shop as it’s their choice how they price.

I have two gunshops local to me, one has continued selling at regular prices when he has stock the other is selling at Gunbroker prices. I know who will continue receiving my business in the future and which will not. It’s my choice where I shop as it’s their choice how they price.
+1!

Guys, I’ve got bullets in a bunch of calibers that I can inventory and sell cheap if there’s interest. I’ve tuned all my rifles which means the bullets not selected are just gonna sit there for years. Happy to part with them if they’re needed. There should be .22, .244, 7mm, .30, 8mm, .375. There’s also a can of .300 H&H brass collecting dust somewhere. Let me know if you want me to put together a list.
I would be interested in the 7mm and the 375

I believe he sold those off long ago.

I’m in the same dilemma...I have pistol primers and a surplus of large rifle primers...I don’t have any large rifle magnum primers though...looks like it will be a long wait. Wish I could find someone in the Arkansas area to trade a few with so I can get my 250 grain bullets loaded for the 375. I do have enough of the 300 grain factory loads to use for the meantime lol.
Let me see if I have enough to spare, how many do you need

Another great deal here from GB on reloading components! Still available too! In the days of yore (even a few months ago) this potpourri would have been $125-145ish max? Hurry before it’s gone!

96844EA8-B726-4DB7-9025-1650DBC104AB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You could easily sell that '06 brass. The vendors who have the loaded ammo are GOUGING. I saw some of it for $60 and up a box of 20.
I've seen that. One of the problems I have with that kind of pricing is the effect it will have on an uninformed, but potential, new shooter. "Wow! Didn't know this was such an expensive activity! Guess I'll go find a different hobby". I've spent years getting new shooters and hunters into our sport; I see the gouging as contrary to that.
The antis are achieving one of their goals with these gougers help. Raise the price until the average guy can't afford it. They win through the attrition of our ranks. Those who are out there screwing their fellow shooters/hunters, are in fact, shooting themselves in the leg.
I'm not opposed to turning a buck. There are several items in the safe that were put there with the intent to turn a nickel later on. But what we are seeing right now is panic buying and some people taking advantage. I won't be one of them.

Btw, received my Graf's shipment yesterday. Everything priced normally, just took awhile for them to fill the order. Some brass and dies. Both die sets now show out of stock on the site.
Midway had a few presses available, on sale no less! And free shipping! Been looking for one as my old RCBS doesn't have enough clearance for the new calibers. So, a new Redding is headed this way.
While shopping for this kind of stuff can be fun, it has now become more of a quest than shopping. Especially for those of us that refuse to pay the gougers.

Right on. I was thinking of the real world price of around $25.00 per K. Need to rethink that. How " bout $ 5.00 a hundred? I do believe that is more realistic.
PM sent

Btw, received my Graf's shipment yesterday. Everything priced normally, just took awhile for them to fill the order. Some brass and dies. Both die sets now show out of stock on the site.
Midway had a few presses available, on sale no less! And free shipping! Been looking for one as my old RCBS doesn't have enough clearance for the new calibers. So, a new Redding is headed this way.
While shopping for this kind of stuff can be fun, it has now become more of a quest than shopping. Especially for those of us that refuse to pay the gougers.
I need to grab me a new press also. Really a tight fit loading 416 reminton magnum on a rockchucker 2. That redding big boss looks interesting.

I need to grab me a new press also. Really a tight fit loading 416 reminton magnum on a rockchucker 2. That redding big boss looks interesting.
Based on some comments in a reloading thread, coupled with what they had in stock, a Redding Big Boss II was added to the cart. Just shy of 4" clearance, according to the specs.
Not sure what model my RCBS is. Dad gave it to me 30+ years ago, and he had been using it since sometime in the 60s. Time to pass it on to my kid and make him build his own ammo :cool:

There is some reasonably priced 30-06 military once fired brass now in the classifieds.....

Try finding shell holders for common rifle calibers right now. I'm looking for one that would fit a .30-06 which covers a number of calibers. The only ones I'm finding are on EBay for 4 or more times the MSRP.

Try finding shell holders for common rifle calibers right now. I'm looking for one that would fit a .30-06 which covers a number of calibers. The only ones I'm finding are on EBay for 4 or more times the MSRP.
Yikes! That is a #2 shell holder, possibly the most common of them all! I continue to go the range once or twice a week but I'm not burning through great numbers of rounds each visit. Most of the components I prefer are getting scarce if not extinct.. Gunshow coming up next month- it'll be interesting. I usually have a table and have done ok the last 3 years. Mightn' be a whole lotta tradin' going on!

Yikes! That is a #2 shell holder, possibly the most common of them all! I continue to go the range once or twice a week but I'm not burning through great numbers of rounds each visit. Most of the components I prefer are getting scarce if not extinct.. Gunshow coming up next month- it'll be interesting. I usually have a table and have done ok the last 3 years. Mightn' be a whole lotta tradin' going on!
Funny how we get to know the equipment we use. To me, the 30-06 uses the #3 shell holder (RCBS). And still one of the most used, regardless of brand.

Yeah, these are the shortages that don't make sense to me. It took me a while to find a press (needed a bigger one). Just have to be patient and use the "notify me" option some of the suppliers have.
I will say, the quest to find some of this stuff has revealed a number of smaller(?), at least lesser known (to me) suppliers. Some of them have been able to fill a need quicker, probably because of less traffic. Most are niche sellers primarily, as opposed to Natchez and Grafs for instance.

On the shell holders I have one for every set of dies that I purchase. I could care less if the #4 fits 3 of my die sets, I have 3 #4 shell holders. Same with the #2 for the 06. I have one in my 06 dies and one in my 25-06 dies.

On using the Rockchucker for the 416 Remington, I have learned with tall cases the finesse of being able to place the brass with the bullet partially into the die to seat the bullet or even the case neck into the die before resizing.

On the shell holders I have one for every set of dies that I purchase. I could care less if the #4 fits 3 of my die sets, I have 3 #4 shell holders. Same with the #2 for the 06. I have one in my 06 dies and one in my 25-06 dies.

On using the Rockchucker for the 416 Remington, I have learned with tall cases the finesse of being able to place the brass with the bullet partially into the die to seat the bullet or even the case neck into the die before resizing.
I think that is a smart idea to have a shell holder for each set of dies. Some companies are great about including a shell holder as part of the die set. Unfortunately, RCBS is not one of those. I picked up a lightly used set of .338-06 RCBS dies at the gun show which is part of the reason I'm searching for a .30-06 shell holder.

Funny how we get to know the equipment we use. To me, the 30-06 uses the #3 shell holder (RCBS). And still one of the most used, regardless of brand.

Yeah, these are the shortages that don't make sense to me. It took me a while to find a press (needed a bigger one). Just have to be patient and use the "notify me" option some of the suppliers have.
I will say, the quest to find some of this stuff has revealed a number of smaller(?), at least lesser known (to me) suppliers. Some of them have been able to fill a need quicker, probably because of less traffic. Most are niche sellers primarily, as opposed to Natchez and Grafs for instance.
Looking for that #3 shell holder, I tried Grafs, Cabela's, BassPro (same thing), Brownells, and Midway. I need to start searching harder for the niche sellers.

I think that is a smart idea to have a shell holder for each set of dies. Some companies are great about including a shell holder as part of the die set. Unfortunately, RCBS is not one of those. I picked up a lightly used set of .338-06 RCBS dies at the gun show which is part of the reason I'm searching for a .30-06 shell holder.
I may be wrong, but I've always used a #2 for 30-06 sized cases. A #3 will work but it is more specifically sized for rimmed 30-30 case sizes. Either one will work for the 308/30-06 based cases but the #3 is very slightly loose so may swage over the top of the rim if the sizer withdrawl gets "sticky".

Just a thought... Also, I've got several extra #2s and I'd be happy to send you one for only the cost of shipping- but even flat rate shipping is at least a couple times the value of the shellholder! You might try Fleabay. I see several choices on there for $10-15 shipped.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg