Overpriced Reloading Components?

I hate to keep rehashing this shortage/hoarding nonsense, but it really pisses me off. Two recent examples. I was browsing GB cause that's my entertainment. A guy had some .30-06 brass for sale and at the bottom of his ad he stated he also had a large quantity of .338, .416 Rigby and other brass for sale. I sent him an email about the .338 and Rigby brass. He replies that some buyer had just bought ALL of his 800 Norma Rigby brass for 3K. I replied about the buyer hoarding the brass and he got kind of incredulous with me. I told him that I respect his right as a seller to sell whatever and to whomever he wants, but that this hoarding of reloading components is why we are where we are at. His reply is basically that he couldn't care less.
Next. My brother in law works for Cabelas in north Denver. He told me on Friday they received 90,000 rounds of ammunition. People stood in line at his store 2 hours before it opened Saturday morning. All of the ammunition was gone within 4 hours once the store opened. They limit ammo sales to five boxes. He told me there were many people who bought ammo that didn't even own a gun, because he would ask them what gun they were buying the ammo for.
The stupidity and hoarding continues! I'm glad to see the comradery here with members helping out other members in need of reloading components. I'm just a simpleton, but my sense of "people doing the right thing" is being renewed.

I hate to keep rehashing this shortage/hoarding nonsense, but it really pisses me off. Two recent examples. I was browsing GB cause that's my entertainment. A guy had some .30-06 brass for sale and at the bottom of his ad he stated he also had a large quantity of .338, .416 Rigby and other brass for sale. I sent him an email about the .338 and Rigby brass. He replies that some buyer had just bought ALL of his 800 Norma Rigby brass for 3K. I replied about the buyer hoarding the brass and he got kind of incredulous with me. I told him that I respect his right as a seller to sell whatever and to whomever he wants, but that this hoarding of reloading components is why we are where we are at. His reply is basically that he couldn't care less.
Next. My brother in law works for Cabelas in north Denver. He told me on Friday they received 90,000 rounds of ammunition. People stood in line at his store 2 hours before it opened Saturday morning. All of the ammunition was gone within 4 hours once the store opened. They limit ammo sales to five boxes. He told me there were many people who bought ammo that didn't even own a gun, because he would ask them what gun they were buying the ammo for.
The stupidity and hoarding continues! I'm glad to see the comradery here with members helping out other members in need of reloading components. I'm just a simpleton, but my sense of "people doing the right thing" is being renewed.
I think the same happens at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. Interesting how much factory ammo shows up suddenly at pawn shops right after delivery days.

I think the same happens at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. Interesting how much factory ammo shows up suddenly at pawn shops right after delivery days.
Your right. Or will show up at gun shows, if there were any open right now due to Covid? When the big Tanner gun shows open up again here in Denver, it'll be a madhouse. A local show where I live opened briefly in September and my buddy went and told me people were buying 20rnd boxes of 5.56 for $73/box! Insanity!

I was in a small sports shop last weekend and of course asked about magnum primers because I still can't find any for less than $225. He said they haven't received any for many weeks and that a couple of companies, federal and someone else said they were not going to be sending out any primers because they're using them for ammo because it's more lucrative. Now I'm not sure of the validity of this but it makes sense. I sent federal an email asking them if they're sending out primers and the reply said that they were working around the clock to keep up. Winchester hasn't gotten back to me. So they avoided my question but I know that no shop around here has had primers in for well over a month, probably two and I haven't received a single email notification of an in stock item from any online supplier since putting myself on many notification lists weeks ago.

Your right. Or will show up at gun shows, if there were any open right now due to Covid? When the big Tanner gun shows open up again here in Denver, it'll be a madhouse. A local show where I live opened briefly in September and my buddy went and told me people were buying 20rnd boxes of 5.56 for $73/box! Insanity!
I haven't seen anything that bad on pricing yet, but as another example, one pawn shop that I've consigned a couple guns at will offer you $35 per box of 9mm fmj, and $50 per box of 20/25 count 9mm hollow points in good factory boxes. If you had bought a bunch of 9mm Blazer Brass ammo 2 years ago you would make a serious return right now.

I’ve seen some crazy asking prices for reloading stuff lately, but these two items actually sold last night on GB. I contacted the seller of the dies after they sold. He was amazed too and told me he just wanted $30 for the dies?

View attachment 383971View attachment 383972
After a certain price threshold, just buy the finest factory ammo and hunt! There are many custom ammo manufacturers out there and would gladly sell you 10 boxes of the finest handloaded stuff for that price. Not many will shoot 190 head of DG after sighting in with 10. ;)

Last edited:

This place is probably not viable for many on this forum unless you live in Ohio, but it had (as of last weekend) alot of shotgun and pistol powders, not bad selection on rifle powders (I was looking for H4350 and RL 15, got a bottle of RL15). Pricing looked to be $30-$35 per pound. Unfortunately no website, but a pleasant phone call confirmed that I should make a drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.21.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.21.44 PM.png
    462.8 KB · Views: 64
It gets "better." I had a "seller" ask his high price for components recently, said i was sending out payment that day (and late in the day he replied that he sold it to someone else-implying that he was collecting $ from many people.) ;) Buyer beware! I knew better with the silly requests and did not mail out the payment...

To anyone in the northern Nevada area: I have
500 Win large magnum rifle primers $ 50.00 per 100.
500 Win large rifle primers $50.00 per 100.
500 Win large pistol primers $50.00 per 100.
1 lb each IMR 4350 and IMR 4895. $50.00 ea.
Come and get 'em.

After a certain price threshold, just buy the finest factory ammo and hunt! There are many custom ammo manufacturers out there and would gladly sell you 10 boxes of the finest handloaded stuff for that price. Not many will shoot 190 head of DG after sighting in with 10. ;)
Your right. The time of diminishing returns for reloading as far as large bore cartridges go may be close? Discounted factory ammo may not be to far off in price with the rising costs of reloading components? Your not going to the range and shooting two boxes of Lotts. Ten rounds is my limit.

I’ve got primers I can spare in Bama if anyone in this neck of the woods needs them.

Come and get 'em.
I think your powder price is low, @Newboomer. Bump that up.

No doubt...I’m thinking should be about 4 times that by the price of primers
I can't justify that. Maybe some folks can but I won't gouge with ridiculous prices on my stuff any more than I will pay unreasonable money. I know supply and demand but a fair profit is all I'm looking for. After all, someone is going to drive a distance get it. That's money to them.

You are a good man, @WAB . This and your earlier bullet offer.

I’ve got primers I can spare in Bama if anyone in this neck of the woods needs them.

Come and get 'em.
Newboomer,
I think your missing a zero on the quantity for the primers! Otherwise, they better be made of gold and handmade by you!
CEH

Newboomer,
I think your missing a zero on the quantity for the primers! Otherwise, they better be made of gold and handmade by you!
CEH
Or perhaps a decimal is off and the multiplier should be 0.1, not 1.0. Fair game as this is not the Classifieds thread for comment. If true, I want hand delivered by Gal Gadot!

I've been wondering what I can get for a 5 lb jug of IMR 4831 that I've used about 1/2 a lb out of.

I might be able to finance part of my next African trip.

Or perhaps a decimal is off and the multiplier should be 0.1, not 1.0. Fair game as this is not the Classifieds thread for comment. If true, I want hand delivered by Gal Gadot!
I've been wondering what I can get for a 5 lb jug of IMR 4831 that I've used about 1/2 a lb out of.

I might be able to finance part of my next African trip.
Good idea. And since the jug is already opened, you can “cut” the powder with black pepper and maybe get 7-8lbs out of it? Ha! Ha! I’m surprised some price gouging jackal hasn’t thought of that yet? Never mind, they probably already have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg