Opinions on 30-06

Can anyone recommend any other brand I should be looking at. It will be my medium game rifle
In CRF confirguration (as winchester m70):
Zastava m70
Second hand ZKK 600, or CZ 550.

In other configurations:
Sako 85
Sauer 100 or 101.
Tikka t3

You have not given other specifics, but in modular rifle, or linear action following to be considered:
blaser r8
Merkel helix
Modular, turnbolt - sauer 202, or 404

If you want to stay in budget 1500 to 1800 usd, then zastava, second hand, zkk or cz 550, sako 85, sauer 100, 101, tikka t3. Best bet would be sako 85. You should be able to find sako 85 on upper limit of your budget.

So Iv decided In the near future I’d like to get a rifle chambered in 30-06. I had a Winchester 1895 I sold and loved it.
Im currently looking at the Winchester Alaskan
Because I like the fact it come with iron sights.
Can anyone recommend any other brand I should be looking at. It will be my medium game rifle.
I just spent a long weekend culling pigs with my Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06. One of the best rifles I have ever owned. It's a Proper work horse and in my favorite cartridge.

I was just about to recommend Kimber but went to their website before doing so. I didn't realize that Kimber doesn't make a rifle with iron sights until you get to 375H&H with the Talkeetna and Caprivi.

In light of this new information....it sounds to me like you really need a 375H&H as well as a 30-06.

In all seriousness, you are on the right track with what you had in mind, along with the loads of good suggestions made by other members. Nothing beats having a rifle that fits you well. Good luck with your search and let us know how it goes.

Older Sako in a L61or Alll. Most had iron sights and excellent quality. Built for the long haul that your grandkids can inherit. Used ones normally in the $1,000 range or less. 30 06 very common. 11 twist barrels...most will need the recoil pad replaced...original pads turned hard as a rock with age. I own 4 Alll and everyone is very accurate..under moa at 100 yds 3 shot groups.

The M70 alaskan is a great choice, perhaps the best choice. Were it me I wouldn't hesitate.

I think the 30-06 is the best all around cartridge on the planet and I have killed more game with it than anything. I have a Rigby, Merkel SxS, Merkel K3, and a Tikka boar hunter in 30-06. All shoot great. Most any modern, factory rifle will shoot good to great out of the box. Get want you like, practice and then go hunting.

Safe shooting

I agree w/ Tgood1 … Ruger No. 1 Sporter has that classic look yet performance of today, plus, you mentioned: open sights. The tried-and-true ‘06 is a popular caliber across almost all manufacturers today & just like an Italian Ice Cream Parlor - many flavors to choose from. I would pick the option w/ greatest importance to you & find the manufacturer who does that best.

Hard to go wrong with a .30-'06 for everything except DG. I have a LH Ruger M77 Mrk. II in .30-'06. Easy to find ammo, power enough for nearly anything, low recoil, good velocity, huge choice of projectiles.

A step down from cousin Sako, but a big step (or three) up from "entry level" is Tikka. Lord willing, my T3X Lite Hunter '06 goes to Africa in a week and a half.

My favorite '06 is a Ruger Guide Gun. It meets all the OP's requirements but good luck finding one. I bought mine when they first came out and I'll never let that rifle go.

I’ve got a Winchester M70 Supergrade in .30-06 and am very happy and content with it. I used it today for a Bushbok and an Impala with Norma Oryx 165grain. It was my dream rifle for 25 years and I’m soo happy with it and recommend it.

If you find something you like, go for it regardless of brand and make any additions needed - open sights, scope etc, as need and money comes together.

Just returned from South Africa and used .30-06 and .338 win mag for plains game. .338 was custom stocked pre-64 Model 70. .30-06 was a cz-550.

I purchased the 550 used. It had a synthetic stock that I did not like. Restocked with walnut from Boyd’s and had iron sights from NECG installed. Classic look and final product well within your budget.

550 accounted for Common Reedbuck, Impala, Warthog, Nyala, and Bushbuck. 5 shots 5 beautiful trophies with the Barnes 180 TSX.

The CZ-550 model has become my go to for Africa. I have taken ones in 9.3x62 and .404 Jeffrey on prior trips. The 9.3 was also purchased used and got the same treatment as did the .30-06.

Dam’n shame the 550 is no longer produced. Buy any you can find. My 6.5x55, 7x57, and .416 Rigby are awaiting their safaris also.

I am a 30-06aholic! I have probably owned more than a dozen. Traded a number of them in on the latest “whizbang” cartridge only to have sellers remorse and buy another 30-06. I’ve taken cottontails, crows, jackrabbits, bobcats, coyotes, turkeys, antelope, whitetail, mulies, and elk. If I took something besides my 375 H&H to Africa, it would likely be a 30-06. My Blaser setup utilizes a 30-06 for medium game.
Some of my 30-06 rifles are going up for sale here in the classifieds possibly including a Win Mdl 70 Alaskan. Watch the classifieds!

My favorite 30-06 rifles:

Winchester 70 Alaskan ( barrel shortened to 23 inches, maintain iron sights)
Winchester 70 Featherweight (add iron sights)
Ruger 77 RS Express ( discontinued) with the milled quarter rib and iron sights.

Current production Winchesters are 'assembled in Portugal', but the barreled actions are still made here in South Carolina, in the FN plant under ISO 9001 specs for quality control. They are fitted and stocked in Browning's Portugal plant.

Very smooth, accurate, and very easy to cycle the bolt from the shoulder.

All the above-mentioned setups are sweet, but you'd be cutting yourself short if you didn't look at a Browning A-Bolt Medallion. Mine is my go-to '06. I understand the X-Bolt is a fine choice, too. Both can have some pretty lumber, and iron sight options, too.

I love the .30-06 and don’t even own one! I did have a Remington 7600 for a short while but before I shot anything with it a friend asked me if I’d sell it to him for his son so I did. That fall I guided the young fella to his first kill, a nice mulie buck and the old ‘06 performed nicely.
Now anyone who reads any of my jibber jabber on here knows that I stump for the .308 like @Bob Nelson 35Whelen cheers for the .35 Whelen. But if my Dad would have had a .30-06 instead of a .308 when I was a kid, that would have been my choice for a rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross