Open sights on new rifles

Yq
I’m going to piggy back in this thread, and ask a question.

If you were building a small or medium bore, would you pay the additional expense of having irons installed? I feel a rifle looks naked without them, but the odds of them being used are slim to n

I’m going to piggy back in this thread, and ask a question.

If you were building a small or medium bore, would you pay the additional expense of having irons installed? I feel a rifle looks naked without them, but the odds of them being used are slim to none
Absolutely I've installed irons on many rifles sold without and actually I prefer they come without then I can install some nice necg or my favorite sights without having to remove others lol like a virgin barrel

I've seen ads from the 1960s and 1970s which featured rifles (mostly bolt action) without iron sights, but they were relatively uncommon. By the 1980s it became much more common. This seems to coincide with improvements in the quality, reliability, and perhaps importantly the cost of telescopic sights. Sometimes we forget that the average person has much more disposable income than 50 or 60 years ago.

I do agree that iron sights may be less necessary on a rifle intended for hunting varmints, etc. at long(er) range. Just as a 'scope would look out of place on a shotgun intended for grouse.

Suppressors screw up just about everything associated with a traditional rifle - besides turning most into something with the dynamics of a surf rod. I "run" one on my DDM4, but not on a rifle I use for hunting. Virtually all of the rifles I use for that (and any that I might take to Africa) have quickly dismountable scopes and quality/regulated open sights.
I struggle so much with this.

Agree completely that just about any gun becomes unwieldy with a suppressor hanging off the end. not to mention how ugly they are (cosmetic I know but as much as I try to ignore that it does, apparently, matter to me).

But I love hunting with one. There is nothing in or on my ears and I don’t give the shot a single thought of the “do I have a second to throw in plugs” variety.

I have some custom plugs but they don’t obviate my appreciation of “canned” hunting

ill continue to remain conflicted on this, I’m sure

regarding the original question, I plan to throw irons on every gun I have built or worked on. I like hunting without a scope and getting close.

But I am naive both in age and experience so that may not mean anything.

the world is your oyster. Sights can be taken off or installed at your whim with some time, money, and bluing

I have scopes in QD mounts on all of my hunting rifles with the exception of a custom long range rig in 6.5 PRC.

The BDL in 270 i bought a very long time ago has none. It is the rifle I've hunted the most with, some years 50 plus days. That includes elk and deer (dozens), black bears (7). That being said, my Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby came with open sights that were junk. They literally fell apart in Alaska. I had them replaced with NECG sights. My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery came from the CZ Custom Shop, the open sights are great and I try and practice with them at least three or four times a year. The NECG sights on my 375 Weatherby are great too :)

Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby, below it is my BDL in 270 Win bought in 68

7ymIhyM.jpg

CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery bought about 10 years ago.

BD0shRU.jpg

With suppressors becoming more common, front sights are in the way if you want to thread the barrel for a suppressor. If building a rifle do you mount the front sight farther back?
My Ruger Guide Gun came from the factory with iron sights and a threaded barrel.

My 300 win mag has irons and scope in claw mounts....used the irons on driven boar and other things.....
You're probably younger than I am. I like a peep sight on my muzzle loader and a couple of other "close in" rifles, but open sights really don't cut it for my eyes. I do have the claw mouny and open sights on my .458, but I've never felt the need to remove the scope (1.5 - 6). I keep it at the.low end unless I need a little extra to make the shot.

You're probably younger than I am. I like a peep sight on my muzzle loader and a couple of other "close in" rifles, but open sights really don't cut it for my eyes. I do have the claw mouny and open sights on my .458, but I've never felt the need to remove the scope (1.5 - 6). I keep it at the.low end unless I need a little extra to make the shot.
Doubt it....after my last few bdays ....but 30 in my head and shit lot more than that on the body....but I go with my head.... :D Beers:

Irons aren’t easy to do properly, or cheap, takes someone that has skill to execute. Imo a wood stocked safari rifle even in light caliber look naked without them.

Irons aren’t easy to do properly, or cheap, takes someone that has skill to execute. Imo a wood stocked safari rifle even in light caliber look naked without them.

Interested in why they aren't cheap?....all my rifles came with them from rigbys to a Remington stainless synthetic one in 270 I bought 2nd or more hand here....had a scope on it and went through I don't know how many rounds over quite a while trying to zero it....when thought it was good , next time it was all over again....took the scope off eventually just to see (it wasn't detachable so couldn't be bothered ) and it shot fine....on another thread photo of couple of puku I shot with it one after the other just before Christmas for staff....honestly don't like the look of rifles without iron sights....so would never buy one..even if I couldn't or didn't use them they would have to be present....

With the advent and popularity of scopes manufacturers cut out iron sights for cost savings and people still bought them.
I won’t buy one. I think they look unfinished without sights. I’ve had some argue that no sights make for a more accurate rifle but I have never found any evidence to support that in my personal experience.
I always sight in the irons before mounting QD scopes. If shooting irons with no scope I prefer a peep due to my need for reading glasses.

I hunt chamois in places where the mountain pine (pinus mugo for the botanists) abound. I use a leather cap to prevent the needles entering the barrel and a metallic front sight would be very useful to keep the cap in position. Otherwise, I discovered more than 20 years ago that I am not able to use open sights.

I use a leather cap to prevent the needles entering the barrel and a metallic front sight would be very useful to keep the cap in position.
Why not use a simple piece of painters tape over the end of the barrel? If you think it's not enough...I've also seen condoms used in the military over the end of a barrel to prevent water and debris from entering. Both of these solutions can be shot through with little to no change in accuracy.

Yeah, I know...it's a condom. Hanging off the end of your barrel. I agree it's not the best look and your leather cap is most certainly an improvement...but still cheap and useful. If you wanted to go "full bore" there's always Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Condom-Style-Muzzle-Cover-Rubber/dp/B01D62S1UE

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 1.46.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 1.46.32 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
And for all you R8 owners, Blaser will install iron sights for free...

Why not use a simple piece of painters tape over the end of the barrel? If you think it's not enough...I've also seen condoms used in the military over the end of a barrel to prevent water and debris from entering. Both of these solutions can be shot through with little to no change in accuracy.

Yeah, I know...it's a condom. Hanging off the end of your barrel. I agree it's not the best look and your leather cap is most certainly an improvement...but still cheap and useful. If you wanted to go "full bore" there's always Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Condom-Style-Muzzle-Cover-Rubber/dp/B01D62S1UE
I use black plastic electrical tape on the muzzle when I'm hunting. It has no effect on the rifles performance and keeps everything from getting in the barrel. A couple of wraps around the barrel gives me a spare to apply if needed.

Doubt it....after my last few bdays ....but 30 in my head and shit lot more than that on the body....but I go with my head.... :D Beers:
Well, you know what Indiana Jones said. "It's not the years. It's the mileage."

I use black plastic electrical tape on the muzzle when I'm hunting. It has no effect on the rifles performance and keeps everything from getting in the barrel. A couple of wraps around the barrel gives me a spare to apply if needed.
I've done that when hunting in snowy country. Never did it in Africa or other dry places, but maybe I should. So cheap it's virtually free. Iron sights aren't required.

A lot of things on our rifles aren't necessary but we have them anyways. Some are functional. Some are cosmetic. I put iron sights in the 'both' category. A rifle without them looks naked and they do occasionally get used. Most of my rifles have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.