on a lighter note...

Back when I was doing electrical work we sent a apprentice off to the parts store to get some split bolts. He figured that we had sent him on a wild goose chase so he went and screwed off of a few hours, but then he figured that he better at least show up at the parts house. From what he told us later he found out that there actually was a part that was commonly called a split bolt that is used to connect two large wires together.
I know what split-bolts are, but still funny.

In the Navy we would send NUB's (non-useful bodies) out for gig line, bulkhead remover, sound-powered phone batteries, left handed pipe wrenches and food for the shaft seals. All in good fun of course. The only bad one was being sent for a machinist punch...that one got SERIOUS in a hurry.

EDIT - Had a guy from another division come to me asking for a 12/16 inch wrench. He said a 11/16 was too small and 13/16 was too big. Sorry...we don't have any 12/16 inch wrenches. :ROFLMAO:
 
Last edited:
I know what split-bolts are, but still funny.

In the Navy we would send NUB's (non-useful bodies) out for gig line, bulkhead remover, sound-powered phone batteries, left handed pipe wrenches and food for the shaft seals. All in good fun of course. The only bad one was being sent for a machinist punch...that one got SERIOUS in a hurry.
Surgical instruments frequently carry the name of the surgeon who designed them rather than any useful description of the tool: Debakey forceps, Kochers, Cooley clamps and so on. This creates a situation where new circulating nurses scramble to find many items and often have ask for help from more senior nurses while rushing trying not to disappoint an impatient surgeon. One surgeon I know would always send the newbie out looking for an Otis elevator...
 
On different names for things, I worked for a telephone company and one of my first jobs was ordering parts and supplies.

The crew would come in and just give me their name for things and not the proper ordering name. We had names such as birds, bugs, and so on and so fourth. I couldn't figure out one of the names when they gave me the name donkey dick, so I ended up calling the gal that I would order things from. When I said donkey dick she very calmly said that she was fresh out of donkey dicks but had a over supply of johnny balls. I about hit the floor.

Donkey dicks were wooden pin that were placed on a crossarm to hold the glass insulator.
Then there were wooden assholes for hobby horses. These were a wooden dowel that took the place of the wooden pin but allowed a bolt to be placed through it.
Johnny balls were connectors for stranded wire, you would loop one wire through it from both directions.

There were so many more and by the time that I was able to transfer out to the line crew I knew exactly what everything was called, by both of their names.
 
In the electrical industry, explosion proof flex fittings are ordered by length and termed “ horse cocks” in the field.
I ordered one from supply house from a female salesperson and didn’t catch myself before ordering the fitting. She repeated the order and said
“ AHEM!, one 3/4” x15” horse cock”. I felt bad about my slip in ordering it that way.
 
1661649209082.png
 
Surgical instruments frequently carry the name of the surgeon who designed them rather than any useful description of the tool: Debakey forceps, Kochers, Cooley clamps and so on. This creates a situation where new circulating nurses scramble to find many items and often have ask for help from more senior nurses while rushing trying not to disappoint an impatient surgeon. One surgeon I know would always send the newbie out looking for an Otis elevator...
And this while he had a patient under anesthetic?
Hope I never get that one!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Surgical instruments frequently carry the name of the surgeon who designed them rather than any useful description of the tool: Debakey forceps, Kochers, Cooley clamps and so on. This creates a situation where new circulating nurses scramble to find many items and often have ask for help from more senior nurses while rushing trying not to disappoint an impatient surgeon. One surgeon I know would always send the newbie out looking for an Otis elevator...
A brief history of the evolution of surgery. Sounds like surgeons were moonlighting a blacksmiths to make their own tools. No wonder some surgical implements look like torture devices.

Even Australian hospitals use the Otis Elevator so I'm concerned about the intelligence of medical staff , including the surgeon sending nurses on a wild goose chase.
 
In the electrical industry, explosion proof flex fittings are ordered by length and termed “ horse cocks” in the field.
I ordered one from supply house from a female salesperson and didn’t catch myself before ordering the fitting. She repeated the order and said
“ AHEM!, one 3/4” x15” horse cock”. I felt bad about my slip in ordering it that way.
In steelwork and welding an asshole is a loop tacked to a piece to lift it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,106
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top