Old India Shikar

8 x 60

AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
343
Reaction score
876
Location
Out fishing!
Media
6
Articles
6
Hunting reports
Europe
1
My elderly Mother is in the process of clearing and sorting a lot of stuff out. When I visited her a week or so ago I came across this old book which had some interesting photos . I thought I should share them here.






IMG_2809.jpeg


IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2802.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
Very cool. Did the book have any description of the photos? What year etc?
 
Shortly after his coronation in 1911, King George V took a famous hunting expedition to Nepal and India, which he of course also ruled as sovereign. The picture of him firing from the howdah was the most famous taken and was published widely. I assume the book is the one published about that adventure? Over just ten days they took almost forty tigers and numerous rhinos and bears.
 
Very cool. Did the book have any description of the photos? What year etc?
Hi I think it was 1911 in Nepal (according to the caption)
The fellow in the Howdah aiming the double rifle is King George V. I can't tell you anymore as I am currently in the Middle East and the book is in England.
 
Shortly after his coronation in 1911, King George V took a famous hunting expedition to Nepal and India, which he of course also ruled as sovereign. The picture of him firing from the howdah was the most famous taken and was published widely. I assume the book is the one published about that adventure? Over just ten days they took almost forty tigers and numerous rhinos and bears.
The cover of the book is attached in post # 1. The Book was produced to celebrate the Jubilee and is 91 years old.
The shoot is covered in just a few pages
 
Shortly after his coronation in 1911, King George V took a famous hunting expedition to Nepal and India, which he of course also ruled as sovereign. The picture of him firing from the howdah was the most famous taken and was published widely. I assume the book is the one published about that adventure? Over just ten days they took almost forty tigers and numerous rhinos and bears.
Yes as Emperor of India , in 1911 George V attended the great Durbar in Delhi where all the Indian Princes paid homage . How times have changed .
 
Hi I think it was 1911 in Nepal (according to the caption)
The fellow in the Howdah aiming the double rifle is King George V. I can't tell you anymore as I am currently in the Middle East and the book is in England.
Take care of yourself over there. What a mess. Just so you know, I am an American citizen and voter who did his best to avoid this. Hopefully you can come home soon.
 
Of course the Maharaja’ traveled to Northern Europe to hunt as well.

Pics from my book of Westley Richards.

King George V is seen here shooting from the Howdah in Nepal
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2119.jpeg
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2117.jpeg
    IMG_2117.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 129
Hi Ontario Hunter. Thanks for your message and concern. I am in Oman. For reasons I can't go into we are fine here in Muscat. I flew back here on 10th March and am here for another couple of weeks before I have a break, and then will head back here.

All good apart from we are just in the middle of the Mother of all storms. First rain for 17 months so it is most welcome in~spite of the power getting knocked out! No biggie in the scale of things!
 
 
 
yes, they all rode well on the backs of the so called lower class., england was one of the worst amoung many.
Pity you felt it necessary to make a political point here. Given current events I would have thought coming from where you do you would be better keeping your trap shut.
 
Pity you felt it necessary to make a political point here. Given current events I would have thought coming from where you do you would be better keeping your trap shut.
it was not a political point, it,s history. you may not like it, but its there. given currents events why would i keep my mouth shut, and i would let the irainens close the straight we do not need the oil as much as other countries do. ps nato countries just joined the current state of affairs.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,532
Latest member
subsrotestheo1978
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top