Obscure hunts

Muskox.
You don't hear a lot of people who have hunted them.
From what I understand, shot placement is extremely difficult.
Hard to judge the body with all that hair covering it.
Not really. You just need to spend time studying The Perfect Shot before your hunt.

Rumours has it it’s also extremely difficult to get the musk out for a mount. A friend of my fathers had a lodge in the Yukon until he passed dad said he had a full body mount that still stunk five or six years after it was done.
Not true for mine. Not one bit. On the other hand, I can't recommend bringing any of the meat back.

You can also go to Custer State Park in South Dakota. It is 71,000 acres and has a self-sustaining herd. It used to be the only place in the lower 48 from which B&C would accept entries. Unfortunately, the price has gone way up ($6,000) from when I hunted there in 2000 and it has become much harder to draw a tag. They do both trophy hunts and cull hunts ($3,256).
I drew the trophy tag this year. Very cool hunt, I would definitely recommend putting in for it!

Probably everyone here has seen the movie or read the book Jurassic Park. It was indeed fiction. What is little known is that scientist have been working diligently for many years to actually clone prehistoric beasts - - and they have been successful! They have been so successful that Safari Press now offers The Perfect Shot for Dinosaurs. (Seriously)
I have a hunt booked next October (Covid permitting) for a saber-toothed tiger (technically it is for a smilodon gracilis). Yes, it is expensive, but what a rush it promises to be and since these things officially don't exist, they aren't covered by the Endangered Species Act. That means no restrictions on import!
That's all that I am allowed to say (Contract for the Hunt). So, ask me no questions and I'll tell no (more) lies. ;)

You can also go to Custer State Park in South Dakota. It is 71,000 acres and has a self-sustaining herd. It used to be the only place in the lower 48 from which B&C would accept entries. Unfortunately, the price has gone way up ($6,000) from when I hunted there in 2000 and it has become much harder to draw a tag. They do both trophy hunts and cull hunts ($3,256).
I don't know about B&C only accepting heads from that area for a while. But ever since the bison were transplanted into the Dirty Devil River in the 1940's before they moved to the Henry Mountains they were the only free roaming bison huntable herd in the US. No fences, and no artificial boundries to keep the herd restrained. They are also one of the only genetically pure huntable bison herd in the US.

Nilgai was obscure to me until a couple years ago. Can find hunts for around $2000 in south Texas. Free range, really cool mount, fantastic meat.

I did mine at night with spotlight. Plenty of day time hunts as well or with thermal. Strong critters that need well placed shots so they don’t run off

1612996085103.jpeg

I don't know about B&C only accepting heads from that area for a while. But ever since the bison were transplanted into the Dirty Devil River in the 1940's before they moved to the Henry Mountains they were the only free roaming bison huntable herd in the US. No fences, and no artificial boundries to keep the herd restrained. They are also one of the only genetically pure huntable bison herd in the US.

Are you including Alaska in that? I may be wrong but I thought that the copper River herd was native, I.e. not introduced, and had always been there.

Are you including Alaska in that? I may be wrong but I thought that the copper River herd was native, I.e. not introduced, and had always been there.
Well, according to ADF&G the Alaska herds are plains bison introduced from the National Bison Range in Montana in 1923. That said, the Boone and Crockett web site does mention it recognizes bison from herds in Alaska, Arizona, Montana, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming in the US.

And recently Alaska has reintroduced wood bison, which are doing OK.

I'm not sure on the Alaska herd, but I did a research paper on the Henry Mountain herd way back in the early 70's. I had to dig it out for the amount of acreage that they roam on and it is close to 2 million acres.

Well it looks like my long planned Water Buffalo hunt in the NT of Australia Sept 2021 is being put on hold due to Australia's restrictions.

So I'm thinking a fur seal hunt in Namibia would be off the beaten path.....

I emailed B&C today. Here is that exchange, minus email addresses.

Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 6:35 PM
Subject: Bison question

We have always accepted bison from Custer but to the best of my knowledge never exclusively, other than at the very beginning when that was the only place they were huntable. Even then there were older entries from other locations.

Justin

Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 3:33 PM
To: "@boone-crockett.org" <@boone-crockett.org>
Subject: Trivia question

Twenty years ago, when I took my bison (which is recorded), I was told that the Club only accepted entries for animals taken in Custer State Park. My questions are: Was that ever true? Is that true today?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it looks like my long planned Water Buffalo hunt in the NT of Australia Sept 2021 is being put on hold due to Australia's restrictions.

So I'm thinking a fur seal hunt in Namibia would be off the beaten path.....

Sorry to hear about your Australia trip

Probably everyone here has seen the movie or read the book Jurassic Park. It was indeed fiction. What is little known is that scientist have been working diligently for many years to actually clone prehistoric beasts - - and they have been successful! They have been so successful that Safari Press now offers The Perfect Shot for Dinosaurs. (Seriously)
I have a hunt booked next October (Covid permitting) for a saber-toothed tiger (technically it is for a smilodon gracilis). Yes, it is expensive, but what a rush it promises to be and since these things officially don't exist, they aren't covered by the Endangered Species Act. That means no restrictions on import!
That's all that I am allowed to say (Contract for the Hunt). So, ask me no questions and I'll tell no (more) lies. ;)
Nice! But, just like modern day elephant tusks, the “saber tooths” are non exportable. You have to relinquish them to the appropriate game department so they can sell them to a Chinese buyer on Ebay. Sorry?

Yep I have considered texas as my cousin owns an exotic game ranch down there. I would love to travel to some exotic places and hunt animals in their natural habitat. That being said I have considered hunting animals like addax and arabian oryx and other animals like that where you either cant hunt in their native range or its really hard to.
If I had an in like that (cousin owning it) I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie!

If I had an in like that (cousin owning it) I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie!
Lol, I may hunt axis or blackbuck at his property but I would rather hunt them in Hawaii or somewhere more free range. Not bashing ranches just not my cup of tea. He also owns barasingha deer but from what I understand he's not allowed to hunt them because he doesn't own enough of them.

What are some of the most unknown hunts out there? The more I look into different hunts around the world, I seem to find some other hunt that looks like it would be a cool experience or a cool trophy. Are there any animals out there that stay out of public eye due to rarity, price, difficulty, etc?
Ibex hunting in Kyrgyzstan. They are reasonable, be in shape hunts, great scenery and people. Do it before you age. Marco Polo available but expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sander.kv

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double