Nyala or Waterbuck

Yes Nyala were reintroduced back to parts of Moz from South Africa with many other species .

Malawi had/has culling ops on Nyala & found in Zambia Zimbabwe at least .

Looking for some opinions here. If you had a choice of taking a Nyala or a Waterbuck, both at the same trophy fee, and both equal trophies for their individual species, which would you take, and why?
I would shoot both given the opportunity. The why is that I like to hunt the more the better.

Looking for some opinions here. If you had a choice of taking a Nyala or a Waterbuck, both at the same trophy fee, and both equal trophies for their individual species, which would you take, and why?

Where are you hunting if I was you I would decide on the area if its prime nyala territory natural range then nyala otherwise a big waterbuck bull.

Yes Nyala were reintroduced back to parts of Moz from South Africa with many other species .

Malawi had/has culling ops on Nyala & found in Zambia Zimbabwe at least .

I don't think nyala were reintroduced in the Flood plains just being taken proper care off last 20 years with anti poaching the only animals I know that has been moved into the flood plains are lion and elephant but doubt it would have been nyala.

They have some of the best trophies in the area and will not consider shooting something under 27" unless it might be the last hunting day. Same with waterbuc they have some absolute monsters.

Both of these animals are on my wish list.

In south Africa, nyala will have priority. The reason, I have a soft spot for spiral horns.
In Namibia, waterbuck will have absolute priority for me.
(you can also find nyala in Namibia, in high fence, but I will hunt it it in South Africa)

Most of the larger animals & game was gone from Mozambique after the terrible war & most of the larger animals came from reintroduction from South Africa, from Nyala, Zebra, Buffalo up to Elephant & now in last few years Lions, Hunting Dog, even Leopard .

Yes of coarse the animal husbandry & Anti Poaching has helped, also animals migrating back into their old range, but the larger game just didn't bounce back fast.

Last edited:
Tough decision. I like the look of Nyala horns and skin more, but the Waterbuck is also an impressive trophy. Both are on my "hopefully next trip" list.

One major reason I don't have a Nyala is that they seemed too easy to hunt on my last trip. We had several around the lodge we stayed in, a couple looked quite nice. During down times in hunting, I could do a walk about around camp and consistently get within 50 yards or so of them. Due to a mix of other interests at the time, and seemingly a boring "hunt" to walk out and shoot, I passed on them. Many say they are a challenge to hunt though, so perhaps that camp just had a tame herd.

I'd love a chance for a good challenging hunt with a rewarding trophy of either or both.

I also now realize this post is likely no help to your decision, so I'll add one last note. Unless you are settled on one for sure, keep your options open to whichever presents an opportunity you want to pursue.

As others have noted, chasing an old Bull Nyala or Waterbuck in some of their native habitat is an great challenge.
Nyala areas and terrain I have hunted make those big guys one hell of a challenge.
I am also a Spiral Horn fan. Wonder which way I’d push you?
It does depend where you are hunting. One way or the other have fun. We await the trophy pictures.

I was faced with the exact same dilemma. I must have been in an area similar to @Tbitty as I had found the same thing with the Nyala being a bit too accustomed to people. I feel the more of a "hunt" you have, the more it will mean to you. I do really like the look of a Nyala, but there's something about a Waterbuck that captures me. Especially a big old brute of one! I think you got some really good advice about seeing what the area is like an checking trophy quality. If you decide on one before you get there, but see a monster of the other, TAKE IT! They are both beautiful in their own way. Or take em both! You only live once! Let us know how it turns out!
Where are you going? And when?

I love both. Got a nice nyala in Mozambique where they are native and tough to hunt in the thick vegetation near rivers. Got my 31” waterbuck in the Save in Zim. Although the waterbuck is huge, due to the few areas in which nyala are available and their beauty, nyala would get the nod from me. Waterbuck are more widely available.

@Scott CWO You got my curiosity up, so I looked at your media pictures. Your Waterbuck is a beast!! Love it!!!

Double Rifle Newbie is correct...............save a little extra money, take them both........an african 3 way, as it were...................FWB

Most of the larger animals & game was gone from Mozambique after the terrible war & most of the larger animals came from reintroduction from South Africa, from Nyala, Zebra, Buffalo up to Elephant & now in last few years Lions, Hunting Dog, even Leopard .

Yes of coarse the animal husbandry & Anti Poaching has helped, also animals migrating back into their old range, but the larger game just didn't bounce back fast.
Sorry to hijack this post but I disagree with you the game numbers did bounce back since 1994 when Mark Haldane started Zambeze Delta Safaris. Moving game across border to restock is a logical nightmare and is not easily done. Therefore only Lions and elephants has been moved.

You can contact Zambeze Delta hunters directly if you need more info. office@zambezedeltasafaris.com

http://www.zambezedeltaantipoaching.com/about-us-zambeze-delta-safaris/

This is probarbly one of the biggest success stories when it comes to Trophy hunting, everything was done in order to make it a hunting destination and not a tourist destination.

Last edited:
Nyala!! Pure beauty

Sarg, I see why we differ now you are talking about Gorongoza National Park and me the Floodplains there is a big difference Gorogonza being a National park and Coutada 11 Hunting Concession next door to Marromeu National park. Mozambique is a big country and bordering South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania. The nyalas in the floodplains are original stock so is most of the other species.

map-of-mozambique@2x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but you were more or less saying I was lying/incorrect, only Elephants & Lions had been transported to Mozambique as it was so very hard but that is not so, hundreds/thousands of animals were trucked in Buffalo & Nyala amongst them !

If you were to check farther you would find Nyala were sourced in SA & transported to many areas .

Amazing to think now I know as the numbers have climbed incredibly but salting the herds has been a large factor in that recovery .

Can't protect what isn't there !

I know this from releases of animals in NZ & Aussie, & escapes in SA (Nyala in new areas) no Blackbuck then 100's in very short time (unfortunately Gov went crazy on them), Rusa in North QLD, (my mate helped on this) nothing none 15-20 years ago now thousands, not a recovery as none there before .

But of course in Moz there were still animals

You might want to research that a bit more. Animals were indeed reintroduced into a number of areas, but other remnant populations recovered - particularly in the flood plains and adjacent forest savanna. Sable, buffalo, and Nyala are examples. Lion recovered surprisingly well in many areas, and only recently was an attempt made to repopulate the flood plain.

Gorongosa is obviously a current repopulation effort where primarily SA animals are being released as much to increase genetic diversity as rewilding. Though even there, the waterbuck came through the civil war in relatively good shape (as did the true Delta buffalo in more remote areas of the Delta) due to their relative inaccessibility to the marauding armies. The current Delta herd of more than 20k are the natural result of protecting the 2K survivors of the war. In Gorongosa, their lion population has recovered surprisingly well with no reintroductions at all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you