Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa 2X, Alaska 3X, Idaho 2X, Wyoming, Alabama lifelong
Looking for some opinions here. If you had a choice of taking a Nyala or a Waterbuck, both at the same trophy fee, and both equal trophies for their individual species, which would you take, and why?

Last edited:
I hope for it not to be a choice: they are both on my list for my next trip. If you stuck a gun to my head? Waterbuck: I have wanted one longer.
I'm down for four animals. Sable, Kudu, and Gemsbok are set. I've got the option on the two mentioned and just trying to figure how to choose.

Charlie... I wanted one on my recent trip, but had an opportunity at a cow buff hunt and pushed my money that way. I choose to believe there will be a second trip, and with it waterbuck. I saw enough nyala on my trip to realize one needs to be on my second trip list. Best of wishes sir.

Nyala is more elegant. Waterbuck though is a solid antelope from what I saw on my first trip. Difficult choice on a first visit to Africa. I have a Nyala now and want to hunt Waterbuck on my next safari.

Just depends on the hunt and the experience. I’d keep the options open and let the safari dictate what happens.

I’ll be going on my 10th or 11th trip to Africa this year. Everyone keeps asking me what I’m going to shoot, and I tell them I don’t know. I’m just going to see what opportunities the bush presents me and focus on the experience.

Nyala. They are an absolutely stunning animal. Waterbuck are cool but not in the same league as the Nyala.

I have both and it is a tossup. Both stunning in their own way. I kind of favor the waterbuck, though. Very rugged and masculine looking where the nyala is more delicate and finer lined.

Make it simple. Take both.

Waterbuck are common in many parts of Africa. Nyala on the other hand are a South African animal. Years from now you may wish you had taken the opportunity to get one. Personally, i think the Nyala make more attractive taxadermy mounts. One mans opinion. Kindest Regards

I don’t have a Nyala. When I was hunting, the land-owner was riding with me in the back of the truck and we spotted a waterbuck just standing under a tree. I was not interested in shooting it, as I had heard of too many problems with the horns flaking. He was insisting that I shoot it. I told him if we spotted it tomorrow, that I would. Turned out to be an excellent decision, it is one of my two favorite and best looking mounts.

I love waterbuck, and my waterbuck mount is among my favorites..

But for me, hands down, it’s nyala...

It’s an absolutely stunning animal.. and I’ve seen far less of them in the wild.. and the few I have seen seem to like roaming around in the thick stuff, making them a fairly difficult/challenging hunt...

To me Nyala by country mile far far more striking animal & if hunted properly I think a slightly better game animal .

But as others have said, if in the area you are hunting you see a 29-30in+ Waterbuck Bull before a Nyala Bull take that & if you see a 29-30in Nyala Bull after that you should really shoot that to & do with out some thing on you return home .

If you see either larger than that shoot them, if not please note where with GPS coordinates & forward to me with thanks !!

Waterbuck are common in many parts of Africa. Nyala on the other hand are a South African animal. Years from now you may wish you had taken the opportunity to get one. Personally, i think the Nyala make more attractive taxadermy mounts. One mans opinion. Kindest Regards
That will come as a surprise to the thousands roaming Mozambique in their traditional unfenced environment.

If you are hunting a game farm, then it is a question of which trophy you prefer. If you are hunting free native range animals in Mozambique or some parts of the Eastern Cape, then both can be a demanding hunt - particularly for a large older bull.

In Moz waterbuck inhabit the riverine border jungle and an eventual shot may be across a savannah or marsh, or through thick forest measured in feet rather than yards. Really big ones typically take a lot of work.

Where I have hunted Nyala in Mozambique it has been in thicker brush and forest with occasional open savannahs that they favor at dusk.

Last edited:
That will come as a surprise to the thousands roaming Mozambique in their traditional unfenced environment.
I was afraid you would mention those in Mozambique. i have taken Nyala in both countries. All the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!