NRA wayne La pierre

"More the merrier" didn't work for NRA. Those guys were just appointing each other. Any complaints were drowned out by the crowd. The fewer the board members, then the more visible they are = easier to hold accountable. Much easier for 70+ board members to point fingers at each other and no one listens or everyone assumes someone else is doing the job. And no one does their job.
Don't forget Colonel Oliver North was in some high ranking position in the NRA a number of years ago. He tried to blow the whistle on Wayne and his henchmen's spending and other financial irregularities but they got rid of him. That should have been a wake up call for the NRA board members but I guess many of them were living in the rat's nest together.

For my own information: Which are other notable 2/a organizations in USA? (I mean not hunting organizations)
Just a few organizations I can think of:

National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

North-South Scurmishers Association

Not sure: I hope I get these organizations' names correct

National Historical and Reenactors Foundation
Cowboy Action Shooters Society
Single Action Shooters Society
Long Range Shooters _____(?)_____

Just in case no one has seen the infamous hunting video:

I watched that with my mouth hanging open wondering what in hell was going on. That clown should never been even close to an elephant, say nothing about trying to kill one.

I watched that with my mouth hanging open wondering what in hell was going on. That clown should never been even close to an elephant, say nothing about trying to kill one.
Sad. You could tell 'ol Wayne was way out of his business office habitat comfort zone.

Not in his defense but I wonder how many other first time elephant hunters make the same mistakes.

Or as has been seen on a number of videos where the tag holder takes a shot and the PH follows up a second later. On those hunts just who killed the elephant?

Not in his defense but I wonder how many other first time elephant hunters make the same mistakes.

Or as has been seen on a number of videos where the tag holder takes a shot and the PH follows up a second later. On those hunts just who killed the elephant?
And MAYBE in his defense for the poorly placed follow up shots, he WAS shooting an R8, so......? JUST KIDDING!

Aside from his inability to aim and hit he also seems to be extremely bad at handling the rifle when it comes to reloading it, I saw the same thing in that buffalo hunting movie of him:unsure:

It is also fascinating and very sad that he manages to miss that poor elephant several times even while it is laying down and does not move. The PH also seems to be rightly afraid of his rifle handling skills.

One would think that a base demand for beeing at the helm of an organization such as NRA would be basic rifle handling skills and at least some degree of markmanship.

For my own information: Which are other notable 2/an organizations in USA? (I mean not hunting organizations)
It’s regional but California Rifle and Pistol Association has been doing some good work in California, which is an uphill battle but they’ve had some success in the courts.

His wife did a better job shooting an elephant than he did. He didn't seem like he knew what he was doing.

How Wayne was coached through his role as a buffalo hunter in Under Wild Skies. I'm not sure how The New Yorker and TheTrace got this film.

https://www.thetrace.org/2024/02/nra-trial-ny-verdict-wayne-lapierre

During the trial, LaPierre’s testimony about the purpose of the trips provided the most revealing moment of the proceedings. “I needed to build a rep and be seen as a hunter,” he said. “I needed to develop the street cred if I was going to do the job.” He went on, “I would never take a shot without it being on camera.”

During the trial, LaPierre’s testimony about the purpose of the trips provided the most revealing moment of the proceedings. “I needed to build a rep and be seen as a hunter,” he said. “I needed to develop the street cred if I was going to do the job.” He went on, “I would never take a shot without it being on camera.”
That's all fine and dandy unless old Wayne's video making hunting trip was paid for with NRA funds. I am certain it was. Bad, very bad!

How Wayne was coached through his role as a buffalo hunter in Under Wild Skies. I'm not sure how The New Yorker and TheTrace got this film.

https://www.thetrace.org/2024/02/nra-trial-ny-verdict-wayne-lapierre

Interesting personal history. If his lawyers are to believed, Lapierre was a nobody reluctantly thrown into a role that he had to be reshaped for. The PR people are responsible for creating NRA'S Frankenstein monster. Wayne was just a victim sucked into America's vortex of fanatic runaway conservatism. The poor unwitting gullible NRA membership are just as guilty of being duped. Yep, blame corporate America. Sounds a lot like liberal progressive agenda? Oops. Well, whatever works works. I bet his lawyers have that blurb carved over their office door. :D

My question about him needing to look like a hunter, is why?

When the NRA isn't about hunting, but there are a lot out there that think it should be.

I for one agree the NRA should cover everything related to legal firearms use for: all ages, all the varieties and levels of competitive shooting sports, hunting, ordinary target practice, and self defense.

Did any of you see Lapierre's infamous elephant hunting video? That was disgraceful. At one point the tracker is standing next to the down and suffering elephant and pointing to the spot: "Shoot it here." And Mr Gun Guy misses the animal entirely. Again. I was hoping that poor pachyderm would muster enough life to jump up and stomp the entire party to pulp. The PH finished the job ... finally. By contrast, Lapierre's wife dropped her elephant with one shot. Why that guy didn't drop that footage in the garbage is just further confirmation of his fatheaded shamelessness. Been me I would not have been able to see out of my shoes. I made one mistake two years ago and nearly lost a fine kudu bull. Had my PH not shot him the next day I probably would have quit hunting forever. PH was at the end of the valley and I was following the trackers in the bottom. He asked me that morning if it was okay to shoot it if he could. I told him it would NOT be okay if he didn't try.
Ontario: When I lived in Canada for 2 years (1990s) the Hunters I met and became friendly with All liked two things about the U.S. 1). Our 2nd Amendment. 2). The NRA and it’s effectiveness at stopping Government restrictions on firearms. I learned from them how Canada made major changes to handgun laws around the 1960s? Older guys said they use to be able to hunt with handguns and took them to Moose Camp and other hunting trips but all that changed and seems to “continue” to change and become much more restrictive then when I lived there. You had an organization “Federation of Anglers & Hunters” that I thought was very good and smart to combine Fisherman & Hunters into “one“ Voice - taking advantage of the greater strength in Numbers (more fisherman then Hunters and fishing was more accepted). What frustrated many was how quickly (and secretively) the Canadian Government could enact a very restrictive law - and announce it was going into effect quickly.…which still seems to be going on. Now, some politicians in the U.S. cite Canada as an example of what the U.S. should be doing regarding firearm restrictions - and I don’t doubt we will become more restrictive here …it’s just a matter of time. But my info & insight is very dated and I only have a view from far away, hear a few opinions for one Canadian Hunter that I’m still friends with…What is Your view?

I’ve been on a couple boards of non-profit organizations and a few stakeholders groups. I agree that 70 board members is way too many. However, 12 is too few. With a small board, it only takes a small number of crazies to really disrupt things and take the board off a cliff. You can also get power hungry people with too much of a say. It is best to dilute the power a bit more to keep a small group from infiltrating and taking the organization and membership down an unwanted road. I think about 20-30 would be good for such a big organization. The power of individual board members would be more diluted with 20-30 but not so diluted as to give management too much power. I think the size of the NRA board got so big as a way to reward and thank big donors instead of doing good business.
SCOTT, take a look at the Board of Directors for successful Fortune 500 Companies - especially those traded on the NYSA. The NRA needs no more Board members then Apple, Walmart, or any other multi billion $$ Company. Of the two publicly traded companies I worked for the Board of Directors never exceeded 20 members and the CEO was “held accountable” by the Board. However, the Board rarely ever went against the CEO - unless the company was failing to make $$ and then the Board would begin to look for another CEO. Most times a BOD backs the CEO 100% and only when they are ready to fire the CEO does the Board Not support the CEO.

SCOTT, take a look at the Board of Directors for successful Fortune 500 Companies - especially those traded on the NYSA. The NRA needs no more Board members then Apple, Walmart, or any other multi billion $$ Company. Of the two publicly traded companies I worked for the Board of Directors never exceeded 20 members and the CEO was “held accountable” by the Board. However, the Board rarely ever went against the CEO - unless the company was failing to make $$ and then the Board would begin to look for another CEO. Most times a BOD backs the CEO 100% and only when they are ready to fire the CEO does the Board Not support the CEO.
Yes, I understand. However, this isn't business. It's political. Different people can have different, and sometimes extreme, views. With a political organization, I think 20 is a good number. It makes people evaluate things, hear other perspectives pro/con and then build a consensus because you have to or nothing passes. It also isolates nut-jobs and reduces their power. I've been on very diverse boards with landowners, outfitters, sportsmen, conservation group reps, environmentalists, etc... where we voted many times 20-0 on items headed to our Colorado Wildlife Commission. It's tough work but when something comes forward with a 20-0 recommendation, it was then passed by the WC and accepted by the game department.

They are fighting for our rights? Yeah, and lining their pockets at the same time. Did they really care about our rights or just the bennies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Puckett's

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you