Not A Warm Welcome!!

Huntforever

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?

That is unfortunate. I am not a bow hunter either but there are more than a few here. If a PH feels his life is at risk he probably wont do it.
Do your research, find an outfitter with the animals you want and willing to back up your bow and go hunting.
Welcome to the forum!

You will find that there are a number of members on here that think that the only way to hunt DG is with a 105mm howitzer and anything smaller is foolish.

I admire your idea of hunting DG with archery tackle. I once read that Fred Bear preferred hunting dangerous animals with archery. He said that when the arrow hits the animal they have no idea of where it came from and usually react to it much like they would if they had just been stung or bitten and think that the threat to themselves is right there and not 20 yards away.

I say go for it.

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?

Context for comments is everything. It's an opinion, take it or leave it. In this case: leave it. Differences of opinions are not necessarily "attacks".

You are risking your PH's life by hunting with a bow or a rifle or a shotgun or for that matter wandering around with a bloody camera.

Plenty of PH's have been shot by inattentive hunters with firearms. Can't say I've ever heard of one being picked off by a bow hunter!
Crap shots by clients on Leopard hunts have gotten enough PH's injured cleaning up clients messes. Seems plenty of those were rifle hunters, not bow hunters.

There are myriad reasons that things can go wrong. Often clients are rather large contributors to their own misfortune and sadly that of others. Work hard not to be that guy and enjoy your hunt.

I hunted a Caracal with a Bow. Arriving at the tree with a bow I was listening to the Dog handler chatter, I had to ask what was going on. Apparently, he'd had his dogs injured by the cats when earlier Bow hunters had not placed the shot properly and he was concerned there was going to be a repeat performance. As a dog man myself I could not blame him. He did manage to shake my hand immediately after I took the Tom with a perfect heart shot after the cat dropped dead from the tree and no dogs were injured. That was a proud reward from a fellow dog man.

Buffalo with a bow is exciting. There are plenty of nay sayers. I suggest that you get sneaky and the Buffalo will think his buddy gored him when the arrow hits home. You won't even be a consideration from the Buffalos side.

Too many bow hunters heading to Africa have shown less than stellar skill, capacity, or equipment and that has caused some legislators to rethink allowing bow hunting for DG. Some Outfitters are also reluctant.
This is what you will be fighting in your hunting quest.

Make sure you and your equipment are good enough, find an outfitter and obviously don't shoot poorly when it comes down to it.

It's at the PH discretion to guide you, a bow hunter or any other hunter or photographer.

I'm sure they are assessing the risk at every step and make a judgement of the client ability before the hunt.

I agree their are rifle hunters that pick up a rifle once or twice a year just before season and bow hunters as well. As a PH I would try to evaluate the ability of every hunter before stepping foot in the bush with them especially dangerous game. It has more to do with the hunter then the weapon.

Welkom to the forum. Admire your quest, not a bowhunter myself but go for it! Lots of information is to be found on this forum.

Welcome to AH...

I agree that we as hunters have enough going against us at the moment, we don't have to fall into each other. I also agree with BRICKBURN, shake it off, stay focused and make it happen! Good luck on your quest and keep us updated!!

Welcome aboard!

Bow hunting is challenging no doubt! Bow hunting dangerous game is that 10 times over.
If you shoot well enough and have ice water in your veins, then find a PH willing to guide you. They are out there.

Shoot well!

No offense, but anyone who chooses to hunt a DG is a fool - but - big but here - who wants to sit around and play safe without any risk or reward so be foolish, enjoy the rush and after the hunt you sit back and shake your head saying to yourself "that was some fun, wasn't it"
I'm heading out in a couple of weeks to hunt bear with archery, bears eat people lol

The amount of people that have been foolish is astounding, you sir will be in good company compared to the meek

Who in their right mind with good sense and sound judgement becomes a DG PH? fun phuckers who have actually tasted what living is like

Im here
Im ready to guide you
Dg or PG. lets do it….its my job and i love doing it
Rifle , bow, knife. Thats your choice i will do my best to keep you safe in the process

Regards

Welcome to the forum! I was searching for a archery brown bear hunt several years ago and was really surprised at the number of guides that would not guide a bow Hunter, I finally talked to one that told me if you are dumb enough to poke a bear with a stick, I’m dumb enough to stand next to you with my 458. I thought to myself, this guy is the kind of guy I want to hunt with! I wouldn’t blame a PH for asking for a resume of sorts. I wouldn’t want to take a client on a DG bow hunt that has only hunted whitetail from a tree stand, simply two completely different levels of stress to affect your shooting. I’ve yet to be apprehensive to follow a wounded deer into the tall grass for fear of being maimed. There are a lot of people out there that do not know/believe the efficiency of a property placed broadhead, most likely if they are so against bow hunting you never will convince them that it is indeed a very humane and quick dispatch in most cases. There are a ton of people that can’t hit a bear in the ass with a snow shovel let alone make clean kills with a rifle or a bow. It is our job as the client to be proficient with whatever we decide to hunt with, we owe it to the PH and the animals we pursue.
Best of luck,
Cody

At least it was a PM and not full on public thrashing. I'd take that as a win honestly and I'd say a testament of the civility on AH vs other sites.

There are plenty of bow hunters on here who have taken dangerous game with a bow, Including myself. I killed a Cape buffalo with one well placed arrow at 31 yards. It can be done if you have the right equipment and quite a number of PH's love guiding bow hunters. I can give you recommendations on where to go if you PM me. Welcome to AH. Lots of great people and great information on here with just a few jackasses that think they know all about things they've never done.

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow.

Myself and several of my PHs possess the knowledge and experience necessary to successfully pursue the Dangerous Game with a bow. We not only offer bowhunting, but we are passionate bowhunters ourselves. We successfully hunt many species of the Dangerous 7 of Africa with a bow each season. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. We would welcome he opportunity to accommodate you!

Welcome to the forum! I was searching for a archery brown bear hunt several years ago and was really surprised at the number of guides that would not guide a bow Hunter, I finally talked to one that told me if you are dumb enough to poke a bear with a stick, I’m dumb enough to stand next to you with my 458. I thought to myself, this guy is the kind of guy I want to hunt with! I wouldn’t blame a PH for asking for a resume of sorts. I wouldn’t want to take a client on a DG bow hunt that has only hunted whitetail from a tree stand, simply two completely different levels of stress to affect your shooting. I’ve yet to be apprehensive to follow a wounded deer into the tall grass for fear of being maimed. There are a lot of people out there that do not know/believe the efficiency of a property placed broadhead, most likely if they are so against bow hunting you never will convince them that it is indeed a very humane and quick dispatch in most cases. There are a ton of people that can’t hit a bear in the ass with a snow shovel let alone make clean kills with a rifle or a bow. It is our job as the client to be proficient with whatever we decide to hunt with, we owe it to the PH and the animals we pursue.
Best of luck,
Cody
That's actually a great idea. Require any client hunting dangerous game to supply a resume of sorts. It would at least help the PH see the clients level of experience. Still, the biggest thing is practice and more practice so when the blood is pumping the shoot is more instinctive.

No resume out there is going to tell you how a client is going to act once they get withing range of a DG animal. I have seen expert archery shooters just freeze up when it came time to draw the arrow when they are just deer or elk hunting, along with expert rifle shots when they first start hunting. I was helping a great rifle shot on a elk hunt one year. I was leading him and for some reason I turned around to look at him. He was pointing with his finger at a bull elk not 50 yards away from us, he didn't think of just shooting it.

Best of luck,
Cody

One of my best friends makes a habit of poking brown bears with a stick. As you suggest, his capability with stick and string is world class and his equipment is impeccable. One of us tags along with a thumper just in case things go pear shaped. Mucking around that close to the big boys is a lot of fun.

Welcome HuntForever,

I am one of those that is not totally comfortable with bowhunting on thick skin game.

BullThrower summed it up nicely.

I am not saying it can't be done and am against it but it takes the right hunter with the correct mentallity and nerves to make absolute sure that all is in place for that arrow.
Would I guide a bowhunter to hunt cape buff with bow yes but would like to see and meet the hunter and hopefully see him hunt other animals before moving up to Thick Skinned game.

First off hunting buff with a rifle can be difficult to get into position and getting a clear shot at it. I'm not talking about buff at waterhole and eating food dropped off but proper buff that knows they are being hunted.

It takes tremendous amount off skill to move in closer for a clear shot at less than 40 yards.

I hope you can give us a great hunt report one day soon on a sucesfull thick skinned hunt with bow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg