Nosler Partition - Efficacy and Defects

Actually the Partition was designed to do two things, hold together at relatively high velocity (think 130g bullet at 3000 fps out of a 270 Win) and still expand reliably out to 500 yards on North American big game (think deer, elk, black bear and grizzly). The front section would disintegrate and cause massive damage at close range while the rear section would continue to penetrate, yet it would still reliably expand at under 2000 fps at 500 yards. Very few bullets today will perform at both high velocity and low. A damn good design for it's time. The 150g Partition is still our go to bullet in our 270 Wins

That was my understanding of the bullets performance. Heck, they still load it in Weatherby rounds that are going pretty hot. As some have said they aren't known for extreme accuracy, but still very satisfactory in the ranges most animals are shot. Recently I've seen the Berger claims on their bullets performance. They make a big point of fragmenting a few inches in but retaining some of the rear of the bullet. My first thoughts were they were claiming nothing new, they work exactly like a Partition just more accurate.

I agree with most of you and have shot a ton of game with the NP from 30-06 to 375 in brown bears. the front half shreds off in animal and the back section keyholes on in. the weak pts are accuracy and will sometimes blow up if hit the shoulder or heavy bone a high velocity close range. could be a weak point that they dont penetrate straight line they keyhole once they shed the front core. I must confess i dont shoot them much anymore and have moved onto nosler accubonds and swift a frames and barnes solids. but i would have no problems shooting anything in north america with them and I have already. I would not hunt african dangerous game with them. bottom lie is pick a premium bullet that your gun likes to shoot and put tte rd on target call it a day

I have been using NPs in my 300 win mag for years. I bet I have killed at least 50 critters with them and have yet to experience anything that would even remotely be considered bullet failure. I plan on continue using them. Just my 2 cents.

OK I a look-see at my Reloading & Shooting Log to make sure of this. I own two M70 .30-06s One a 1952 vintage and the other a 7 year old Super Grade. Both guns using 150 gr Partitions & best 100 yard five shot groups from a concrete bench using a competition rest and bags. Groups are measured like the Benchrest Shooters do. Here's what I got:

1952 Gun: 1.038 MOA. Actually shoots NPs better than Sierra Pro-Hunters.
2009 Gun: 1.348 MOA. Not as good as the Pro-Hunters.

Point being these are both way more accurate than I can hope for under hunting conditions.

That was my understanding of the bullets performance. Heck, they still load it in Weatherby rounds that are going pretty hot. As some have said they aren't known for extreme accuracy, but still very satisfactory in the ranges most animals are shot. Recently I've seen the Berger claims on their bullets performance. They make a big point of fragmenting a few inches in but retaining some of the rear of the bullet. My first thoughts were they were claiming nothing new, they work exactly like a Partition just more accurate.

My one and only expirament with a Berger VLD H, 168gr, 7mm Rem Mag. 125 yd impact. It ain't no partition.

IMG_1134_zpsbb8d98fb.jpg

I've never had any problems getting partitions to shoot 1.25" or better in any gun I've ever tried them in.

Last edited by a moderator:
They shoot better than .75" in both of our 270s Rem brass, Federal 215 primers, 150g Partition and a lot of H4831 for 3000 fps :) Work up slowly

Unfortunately, 100 yard targets are rarely indicative of a bullet's accuracy. Many bullets begin to fall apart much further down range. .75" at 100 doesn't necessarily equate to 7.5" at 1,000 yards. For shooting inside 300 yards they are likely more than accurate enough for just about any hunting situation but my point was that accuracy is not there to be considered a long-range bullet. The way they are constructed basically seals that fate. I'm sure there is the odd exception but they are not an inherently accurate bullet like say the Accubond or A-Max.

I never shoot at more than 500 yards, so I believe you. Never at more than 300 yards for groups either. I'll have to look into the Accubond LRs. Thanks

Partitions and accuracy I've found to vary according to rifle. Some the results are okay, nothing great. In other rifles, all 3 touching at 100. First year I drew elk in Arizona I also drew a Coues deer tag. I had my 7mm Rem Mag ready for elk with 160gr Partitions.

Coues deer season was before elk. Dropped my first Coues buck at 280 yards with the bullet right where I wanted it to be. While again I've had them not work well in some rifles, I wouldn't drop giving them a go in any new rifle I bought and give them an honest chance.

Use 180 grain NP in my 30-06. Have taken Nilgai and Elk one shot all and devastating effect. Favorite bullet. To those who don't know a Nilgai can take a lot more punishment than elk in my experience. Very tough critters.

The only problem I have with Partitions here in SA is the price - accuracy and terminal performance are all I could ask for (Win M70 30-06 165 gr)

The only problem I have with Partitions here in SA is the price - accuracy and terminal performance are all I could ask for (Win M70 30-06 165 gr)

Curious to know how the Partitions compare to the RSA made Peregrine bullets if you know.

Curious to know how the Partitions compare to the RSA made Peregrine bullets if you know.

Sorry - haven't used the Peregrines yet, although the feedback from others who have is generally positive.

Sorry - haven't used the Peregrines yet, although the feedback from others who have is generally positive.

That seems ironic. I can get them at a local store here in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Have developed loads in the Plains Master bullets for a .300WM and .300H&H. Accuracy is great and the bullets do not copper foul my barrels. If you give them a chance, go to their website and pay close attention to their loading information. They are finicky about neck tension. They're more expensive for me than Partitions, but that isn't a surprise on this side as they're is certainly a cost to shipping them here.

Will certainly try them out when my current stock is out - cheers!

IMO, choose whatever bullet you like and then keep it in the velocity range it was designed to perform in and you will almost always have good results. That being said, there are better bullets available today that expand properly at wider range of velocities and penetrate more deeply. Ultimately, bullets are relatively cheap and the cost of a safari is not, buy the best bullet that shoots well in your particular gun.

I prefer as close to 100% weight retention as possible and a bullet that expands to 2 or 2.5 times the calibre. 40-50% loss is unacceptable(even if they were designed to do that). NP work fine on softer skin animals. Bigger tougher animals I would not use them. I much rather prefer a quality bonded expanding bullet, especially on tough African animals. I would definately not use them on Eland and up. Perfect broadside shots are not always possible, sometimes you need to take quartering or full frontal shots and that's when a quality bonded bullet comes into it's own.

Swift A frame, Trophy bonded bear claws come to mind with the best being SA made Rhino solid shank bonded expanding bullets.

I also prefer to use heavy for calibre bullets at a sensible velocity, they just work a lot better on our African game.

Speed only kills on the freeway.

I mainly use 7 x 57(170 gr Rhinos), 7 x 65R(170 gr Rhinos, 9.3 x 74R(286 and 320 gr Rhinos), 375 H&H(300 gr Accubond, 340 gr, 350 gr, 380 gr Rhinos), 338 Lapua Magnum(300 gr Accubonds and 286 gr Barnes TSX), 500 Jeff(570 gr Rhinos).

I have lately been trying the Nosler Accubonds and find them very accurate and they seem to hold together well. I use them for longer range applications and so far I am impressed.

As mentioned, to all their own, but the old style NP are not for me.

I've only shot 150g Partitions in my Remington BDL in 270 Winchester since the late 60s. I've always loaded them to just over 3000 fps. I've killed dozens of elk (at ranges from 15 yards to 500), many many deer, seven black bears and finished off two grizzlies (smaller mountain types when I was assistant guide/wrangler in the Bob Marshall in the late 60s and early 70s). Never once did I even look for a better bullet. That being said, for brown bear and should I ever get to hunt cape buffalo I've switched to A-Frames. They're tougher, better weight retention, but probably will not open up as well at long range, but why would I hunt brown bear or buffalo at long range?

I'm not very scientific, and much prefer actual epxerience over numbers. I've taken well over 100 big game animals with 7mm 140,150,160 partitions running from 2800-3050 fps. I've never experienced a failure of any sort, rarely recover one, and if there's one bullet I would consider to work as designed every single time it would be the Nosler partition. Other bullet manufacturers have been trying to emulate, or play catch up for the past 60 years.

I've only killed deer with 30 caliber 165 gr partitions in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and never lost a deer. The only recovered was one from a frontal shot that was under skin all the way close to tail. I think people that recover bullets with front part lead missing, consider these as failures. However, this I believe is by design for maximum effect and tissue damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,