Nos 260 accubond in 375 for Buffalo?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
I found a deal on a bunch of these bullets. I know they will work great on plainsgame but am wondering about Buffalo?

Anyone try them out on Buffalo? I could pair they with a nosler solid…

As a general rule of thumb, having a sectional density (SD) of .300 or higher is more desirable because it means better straight line penetration for the given bullet, even if it's an expanding one. To get a .375 caliber bullet above the .300 SD line, the bullet needs to weigh 300 grains or more. A 260 grain bullet has a .246 SD.

Most companies make 300 grain .375 caliber bullets and I'd highly recommend the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC and Norma Oryx. Norma has loaded ammo up to 350 grains and I believe Rhino makes up to 380 grains if you can get your hands on them.

As for solids, you should absolutely take some but only load them if your PH asks you to. Matter of fact, you should consult your PH on what his recommendations are for .375 caliber bullets for buffalo.

I’ve used Barnes TSX on several Buffalo and a tuskless cow elephant, Hornady DGX on one Buffalo. All were basically 1 shot kills. The only Buffalo I struggled with, 7 shots, was because my luggage was lost and the outfitter only had solids. For me personally, I’ll never set out to hunt Buffalo with a solid.

I found a deal on a bunch of these bullets. I know they will work great on plainsgame but am wondering about Buffalo?

Anyone try them out on Buffalo? I could pair they with a nosler solid…
Absolutely not........

And he should....if he has hunted buff....

I used 260 AB's in my 375 H&H (~2620fps MV) on my last SA hunt. Eland, Sable, Gnu, Bushpig, Impala, White Blesbuck, Nyala. 10 to 280yrds. Excellent choice by my measure and would happily use them again.

I've never shot a Buffalo, but Judging by their penetration and expansion, I would personally not take them for Buff. There are many other, better, choices in the 375. I would not count on them to break shoulders or penetrate deep enough on oblique angles. I will continue to use them domestically for Moose, Bear, and Elk.

No ! differently not, a 300gr Accubond is not even up to Buffalo, I have used the 380gr Rhino & it is no great leap in killing power, does not turn your .375 into a .416 & lessens the all round versatility of the .375 H&H, use one of the main three BeeMaa suggested Swift A-Frame, TBBC- Trophy Bond Bear Claw, Barnes TSX, & you will be better off .

@wildwilderness If you decide to pass on them I’d like to purchase them if you’d be willing to share the location if said 260 ABs.

No ! differently not, a 300gr Accubond is not even up to Buffalo, I have used the 380gr Rhino & it is no great leap in killing power, does not turn your .375 into a .416 & lessens the all round versatility of the .375 H&H, use one of the main three BeeMaa suggested Swift A-Frame, TBBC- Trophy Bond Bear Claw, Barnes TSX, & you will be better off .
Interesting post Sarg. Would you share more on your experience with the heavy bullets. I always raise an eyebrow at the often quoted heavy bullets make calibres act like bigger calibres. To me a bigger hole is just that - bigger !

I have been looking for some to do some load testing, I don’t think that would qualify as desperate. Thanks for the offer.

@wildwilderness I used the 300 grain accubonds out of my 375 H&H on a fine buff. he went down after running about 25 yards with his legs in the air. I then gave a few insurance shots as prescribed by my PH. 260grn should be left for plains game dont even think about it on buff. The bullet lost 96 grns of mass but mushroomed well and was found in the rumen from a front on chest hit.
As for people saying the accubond is no good for buff all I would say is try it and you might be surprised. Also I dont want to get into a pissing contest comp

Feel free to PM if you want to know more

As a general rule of thumb, having a sectional density (SD) of .300 or higher is more desirable because it means better straight line penetration for the given bullet, even if it's an expanding one. To get a .375 caliber bullet above the .300 SD line, the bullet needs to weigh 300 grains or more. A 260 grain bullet has a .246 SD.

Most companies make 300 grain .375 caliber bullets and I'd highly recommend the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC and Norma Oryx. Norma has loaded ammo up to 350 grains and I believe Rhino makes up to 380 grains if you can get your hands on them.

As for solids, you should absolutely take some but only load them if your PH asks you to. Matter of fact, you should consult your PH on what his recommendations are for .375 caliber bullets for buffalo.
You sure about that 246 number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois